Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Some spectacular flashes towards Paisley. It's quieter now but that was a decent show and a pretty ideal storm for me - far enough away to be safe with some stunning flashes lighting up the sky.

What a storm in East Lothian. super lightning show, some rain finally, gusty winds. And I watched it approaching on the radar so could leave the pub just in time to get home

2707radar11.png

40 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I have my camera at the ready for that big storm approaching from north east england, some whites and purples on the radar looks like I will be on the edge of it in the next 25-30 mins, areas like Dunbar, north berwick and eventually st Andrews look to be in the firing line for the core of the storm.

It was a cracker as it passed to my north-east, probs about 15-20 miles away over Berwick heading towards Eyemouth:

Lightning vid on FB

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Getting very close now. Lightning to the East. One close clap and suddenly the heavens have opened!

where did that wind come from?

Edited by Norrance

All quiet now after quite an evening of fork and sheet lightning - will accept that as compensation for missing the lunar eclipse!  The big storm over Dundee looks like it will miss us to the southwest. 

4 minutes ago, Quinach said:

All quiet now after quite an evening of fork and sheet lightning - will accept that as compensation for missing the lunar eclipse!  The big storm over Dundee looks like it will miss us to the southwest. 

Def not missing here just now. Rain and wind have eased of a bit but frequent sheet and forked lightning just to my South. As you say good compensation for missing the eclipse.

Another cell here now. Much better than expected tonight with plenty more around on the radar! 

Lots of heavy rain tonight, and a single clap of thunder. Very welcome, not least because cycling home earlier this evening was extremely uncomfortable in the muggy conditions, despite a cooler max of 'only' 23c - in previous summers that temperature would have been fairly impressive!

😲:shok:WOW WOW WOW !!! That storm that has just passed over us (still a few flashes of lightning) was INCREDIBLE the closest lightning I have ever seen definitely a positive cg strike must have been yards away made the hairs on my arm stand up  BLINDING FLASH followed by the loudest shotgun thunder I have ever heard, also some crazy intense rain in the middle of the storm, lots of flashes of lightning, cloud-cloud and intra cloud lightning, very gusty winds. I will have videos up tomorrow, and also possibly more storms overnight with more developing in the north sea and the north west of England.

Morning,

Seen some great shots of the lightning across Aberdeen Fri evening. Was certainly disturbed! Died down seemingly just after 10pm, but I was awoken again by torr rain & a clap of thunder by another cell 0040 this morning. Not sure what happened after, I awoke something-to-6 with showers but no electrical activity.

Has actually been bright but still clouds around - I think NE Scotland still under a warning until early Sat pm.

Well we had a lot of lightning but I was tired and went to bed. I know. I'm a failure. Throw me out now 😋

It started with some cracking flashes, and big rumbles with heavy intense rain, but died all too soon. Yet 5 miles down the road, wife reports that at the little mix concert at Falkirk stadium, they had nothing.

I don't think we've had any thunder in the original warning period!

Here are some stills from my videos which I will have uploaded by later today, the 4th pic is the extremely close bolt I was talking about with the blinding white flash. (I have another camera which was also recording I will post more stills if I find any)

lightning 3.png

lightning 4.png

lightning 5.png

lightning 6.png

lightning 7.png

lightning 8.png

We have hot sun mixed with sudden heavy showers. Edinburgh this morning was very wet, today's pastime was watching the tourists scatter when the rain came on.. Poor sods.

Sun's out for first time today after bursts of rain overnight and this morning feels so much cooler and fresher at long long last might not be like this forever but I plan to enjoy it 

Here are my videos of the storm last night

BEST PART WITH CLOSE LIGHTNING AND LOUD THUNDER AT THE START 0:08 for the lightning 0:20 for the thunder, 1:05 for the mental rain with more lightning and loud thunder

A beautiful evening with clear blue skies but step outside and it feels decidedly autumnal due to a cool, strong and gusty Southerly wind - the air feels remarkably fresh compared to the muggy feel of the last few days.

The wind is drying things up quickly after the deluge overnight/this morning - some very heavy outbreaks of rain this morning before things started to clear up in the early afternoon. 

Garden already looking fresher for the rain!

Rain and wind's really unleashed here again. Think it's safe to say the heatwave is over ;)

Torrential rain and howling wind and really cold here, husband has lit the fire . It's November!

Could whoever flicked on the Autumn switch please turn it of again.I mean w.t.f  2 nights ago at this time it was 24c now tonight it's 10c  with a windchill