Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Cooler and fresher this morning with some light rain earlier. Autumnal looking sky and with a lot of trees effectively shutting down due to the drought(We have a ten inch soil moisture deficit) the leaves are taking on their autumn   colours. Currently bright and 14c. Harvest should be nearly  complete in this area this week.   This also adding to the autmnal look.

• Like 2

Posted

Certainly feels autumnal in St Andrews today, cool (14c), damp and breezy. I’m not ready to say goodbye to summer yet! 

Posted

Not of a hit and miss week, cold tonight, car was reading 7c just now. Some big showers rolled through as well.

IMG_20180823_195716.thumb.jpg.3dae3a85b77d66c259c57a7a5e5c1a80.jpg

Hoping the weather holds for the weekend as it's the Strathearn Balloon festival.

• Like 4

Posted

Still lots of young swallows/hose martins  in nests here being fed here must be a third brood so we have the air just full of them when the sun shines a really good breeding seson for them .Shower approachiing just now and 12c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Still lots of young swallows/hose martins  in nests here being fed here must be a third brood so we have the air just full of them when the sun shines a really good breeding seson for them .Shower approachiing just now and 12c.

Yes, there are a few left in Caithness too - I was wrong. More on the Black Isle.

Looking at the state of the Arctic... are we entering an 8 month autumn now?

Blustery showers all day but not as wet as earlier.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Yes, there are a few left in Caithness too - I was wrong. More on the Black Isle.

Looking at the state of the Arctic... are we entering an 8 month autumn now?

Blustery showers all day but not as wet as earlier.

Yes I have the same thoughts too . It feels as though suddenly this week autumn has arrived ,decidedly chilly today. We have almost had a continental climate since end of February and I was thinking we might be heading for an early continenatal type winter probably fairly dry so storing up more  lack of water  problems for next summer. Just one very heavy shower here this morning so far and all trace  of it has gone now with dusty surfaces again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
4 hours ago, Richard Taylor said:

Hailstorm in Aberdeen at the minute - don't get many of these.

My daughter drove through a heavy hailstorm just East of Perth late this afternoon. Traffic on the A90 was down to 20 mph for a mile or two. 

One ir two heavy showers made it through to here from the West but no hail or thunder. A cooler day with a max of 14.5C

Posted

A fine sunny morning, an almost clear sky with excellent visibility, but chilly.

When out with dog a short while ago temp was around 7C resulting in a touch of Raynaud’s, which I don’t really appreciate at this time of year. Need to look out the thermal gloves.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It's been a real mixture of a week weather wise up here. One day, I think Tuesday, I left work in Fochabers where it was a sunny 18C but when I got home to Alford it was a drizzly 12C. Certainly been feeling fresher and damper overall, with a real chill in the air some mornings. 

This weekend is going to feel autumnal, with a sunny 14C max forecast for today, and a thoroughly miserable and damp 10-12C forecast for Sunday. I can see the wood burner being fired up. 

• Like 3

Posted

Yes rayburn in kitchen has been off since the end of May quite remarkable really as it usually only gets turned off for a couple of weeks every summer.  Chilly at 8c this morning but dry and overcast. Still dusty surfaces Rain  forecast still getting pushed back for my neck of the woods possibly some for Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Bright and breezy here today. Temp up to 15.4C from a min of 7C overnight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Weather so generally nondescript recently I've not felt it worth commenting on.

Yesterday I had to put on my winter jacket for skiing at Hillend. Was cool initially, meaning a fleece, then it started really pishin doon with gusto, requiring the full on goretex. 

Today's quite nice though, if a little fresh.

Took a wee walk up in the hills behind Gala with the dugs (Islay pictured) earlier while Mini Miss SS did her tennis. Snaps:

DSC_0158.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

Bright and breezy here today. Temp up to 15.4C from a min of 7C overnight.

18c now with decent sunny spells. Got family visiting for a few days from tomorrow. Tomorrow looks poor but fortunately Monday and Tuesday look much better!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

18c now with decent sunny spells. Got family visiting for a few days from tomorrow. Tomorrow looks poor but fortunately Monday and Tuesday look much better!

Not quite so warm at this side of Dundee with a max of 16.5C but still pleasant enough to be out in the garden. Tomorrow looks awful though and we will lucky to beat 13C or so.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted

Clear blue skies and very chilly to start the day (min of 4C last night) then cloud popping up with light showers for a time late morning.

Afternoon much better with sunshine dominant, temp up to 16C and feeling nice in the sun thanks to the light winds.

Local farmers are cutting the surrounding fields as fast as they can, still going as I write - a race before the rain tomorrow me thinks.

Photo below typifies the weather this afternoon...

Snag_b31dbba.thumb.png.16126fd39ee8052da5b061fee87ab89f.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It seems to be raining. Bleurgh. Almost cold enough to put the heating on but not quite, so sat here not quite shivering, wishing it was May again. Bring me my Tardis, Jeeves.

• Like 3

Posted

Cold and damp. Odd spits and spots of rain. 11C. My daughter put the heating on this morning before going for her shower!

• Like 1

Posted

Just back from a quick visit to Perth. Similar there but much wetter.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted

Had quite a bit of rain but has eased off (as expected) really is cold though. The coldest day we've had in a long long time

• Like 1

Posted

Cool here too with light rain since about midday just as well because its giving it a chance to sink into a very dry soil and not run off. Currently 11c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Please somebody tell me the story again about how the heatwave is coming back next week...

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Please somebody tell me the story again about how the heatwave is coming back next week...

We can usually but dream about such things up here in Scotland at this time of year. But maybe, just maybe, if global teleconnection info is reliable, we might get a weather boost in the coming days/weeks?

As far as today is concerned, the CH is on and I gave serious consideration to lighting the stove. Just as annoying is that after conceding to the weather and deciding to curl up with a book, I needed the lights on to read comfortably mid-afternoon.

@Quinach Yes, the combines were hard at work yesterday, before this dismal day, bringing in the spring sown barley.

• Like 3