Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Literally my second worst weather type today An easterly that delivers the slate grey of early schooling and little else other than boring wind chill. Happy tho that those that missed out daan sa

It's been a peculiar and memorable day of weather ?

View east. Angry sky.   Various animal tracks. Mainly rabbits?   View down the Tweed.   Mr Red Robin. Fearless.   Finally, the boy cat s

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Hawesy said:

@Norrance Amazing skies tonight, looks like the end of days! 

764BFC33-817B-4CED-B885-5E92CA856FA5.jpeg

Managed to miss that somehow. A much fresher night last night with a min of just over 12C following a couple of very sticky nights. Could smell and see thick smoke to our West last night. Wonder if some nearby grassland was on fire?

• Like 2

A pleasant day all in all (and pretty cool/fresh) first time i've said that for ages ;) Had a shower about half 9 this morning didn't last too long and was dry for the whole day

• Like 1

Generally overcast day with scattered heavy showers, though there were a few brighter intervals around Kingussie...

Snag_693c8e88.thumb.png.1f6664dc79f4c1f6db8711a202b34453.pngSnag_693d127d.thumb.png.d257da896593da02aaee8cd3a41aad87.png

Feeling pleasant though with light winds and temperature max of 19C.  Couple of small snow patches hanging on in the Cairngorms (view from Loch Morlich).

Snag_693f9705.thumb.png.112ab88b8cbc69a8136d43f418db5461.pngSnag_693f2ca3.thumb.png.f719fe78a7191986839cb7db59201852.png

• Like 4

Another dry and fairly warm day here. Max was 21.6C. 

Just been offered a ticket for the Open on Friday from my sister-in-law. Looks possible that it will be the only wet day there (frontal rain) of the month ? Still it is going free?

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Anyone else had the air full of aphids / green flies all day today?

Still sticky here at 19.5C.

Not seen that here, but yes still mild with partial cloud cover, humid. Took dog for a walk in short sleeves this evening. ?

Actually, I would like to see more insects around as a bereft swallow has been singing and has started to investigate the barn again - maybe a late brood?

• Like 1

Better day after some  downpours late yesterday.Cooler evening tonight at 13c so stacked a few bales.

Swallows House Martins and Swifts have had a good breeding season here with the air above the farm full of them earlier this evening. Other birds are the same except any ground nesting ones where the badgers have eaten all the eggs. The bird feeder is still being emptied every second day so insects are not that plentiful.

Lots of young hares this year so thats a good thing after they were almost absent  last year.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Swallows House Martins and Swifts have had a good breeding season here with the air above the farm full of them earlier this evening. Other birds are the same except any ground nesting ones where the badgers have eaten all the eggs. The bird feeder is still being emptied every second day so insects are not that plentiful.

These are literally the only chicks, apart from sparrows, I've seen around here.

702268494_R-Lchicksadult.thumb.jpg.2f7917a4be599c6b59903ec89325fa1e.jpg

• Like 3

We've moved into rainy season here now after a dry three weeks:

2111775887_Screenshot_20180719-111306_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3b0cef42855e703eaceccccaa3df32a9.jpg

If this is rainy season then long may it continue:

20180719_101118.thumb.jpg.b8ce9c2936a0c01a249004f8c77c3984.jpg

Our bird feeder is getting raided from dawn to dusk plus the bird bath is proving very popular. It's been a weird few days of weather, not stunning but not poor either. Kind of okayish.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Norrance said:

Anyone else had the air full of aphids / green flies all day today?

Still sticky here at 19.5C.

Was the same here in St. Andrews yesterday.

Beautiful day today and warm with a SW breeze. Should reach 23 or 24c in NE Fife and Dundee later this afternoon if the sun stays out.

• Like 2

The weather is so much warmer here on the east coast now that the heatwave is over. ?

Between June 26th and July 3rd, when many others were experiencing the peak of the heatwave, Leuchars recorded just one day with a max over 20c. By comparison all of the last seven days have had maxes above 20c!

All down to wind direction, of course. When the heatwave was here we had onshore winds from the east or SE. Since more typical SW and W winds have returned we’ve been much warmer.

24c the max today at Dundee Riverside.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

The weather is so much warmer here on the east coast now that the heatwave is over. ?

Between June 26th and July 3rd, when many others were experiencing the peak of the heatwave, Leuchars recorded just one day with a max over 20c. By comparison all of the last seven days have had maxes above 20c!

All down to wind direction, of course. When the heatwave was here we had onshore winds from the east or SE. Since more typical SW and W winds have returned we’ve been much warmer.

24c the max today at Dundee Riverside.

Here's the max temps for my nearest official weather station a few miles away:

331531440_Screenshot_20180719-205929_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ccb939ed3fd7714b38a8c9e324d95351.jpg

It's hard to work out what's heatwave and what's not. 

• Like 2

Another very pleasant day in the Inversnecky area with light winds, max of 21C and bright conditions.  Rapidly changing this evening with the wind picking up and now some rain outside.

Water level in the River Ness pretty low but not as bad as some of the rivers further east.

Snag_6e6c1bb.thumb.png.f2c5f0188eac607657f3a98b8a780a8f.png

• Like 3

Drought well and truly broken here this morning with  several hours of heavy rain so far,grass greening up again and turnips looking very well. Even the birds are out in it washing themselves. Currently very wet dull and 14c. Yipee!!!!

• Like 6

Cool and wet here for a change, but grass needed it as not grown much since last cut 2 weeks ago. Ground very hard so water running off rather than soaking in. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Here's the max temps for my nearest official weather station a few miles away:

331531440_Screenshot_20180719-205929_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ccb939ed3fd7714b38a8c9e324d95351.jpg

It's hard to work out what's heatwave and what's not. 

Yeah, that's pretty topsy turvy! ?

I'm heading off tomorrow to hike the Tour du Mont Blanc. Will try and report in with weather conditions on the route and a couple of photos.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Yeah, that's pretty topsy turvy! ?

I'm heading off tomorrow to hike the Tour du Mont Blanc. Will try and report in with weather conditions on the route and a couple of photos.

"a couple"??

If you don't come back a shed load then you're off the Xmas card list. The Tour de France has been near there over the past couple of stages, stunning scenery. Enjoy it, I am a little green with envy ?

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Drought well and truly broken here this morning with  several hours of heavy rain so far,grass greening up again and turnips looking very well. Even the birds are out in it washing themselves. Currently very wet dull and 14c. Yipee!!!!

Aye, very useful. First real time since we got the new house at the end of May for me to see just what bits of the gutter system 'leak'. Only 3 drippy bits, one already fixed as simply needed clip refastened. Others still to be looked at in a bit. 

Garden will appreciate the soaking. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Aye, very useful. First real time since we got the new house at the end of May for me to see just what bits of the gutter system 'leak'. Only 3 drippy bits, one already fixed as simply needed clip refastened. Others still to be looked at in a bit. 

Garden will appreciate the soaking. 

All 3 leaky joints fixed, at least for a bit (old bike inner tubes have thier uses). Of course, having spent most of the day in the rain or drizzle, now I'm finished the sun is back out. 

• Like 1

Got properly soaked at Carnoustie this morning. Felt cold too. Rain kept looking as if it was going to clear only to come back on heavier minutes later. Thankfully after 2pm it finally cleared and the temperature rose enough for me to justify buying ice creams at £3 a shot.

• Like 3