Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards


Recommended Posts

Why couldn't the rain be a bit further east? ;) It's still pouring down the west coast from what I can see but not here (could do with a good dollop) It is brighter here today thankfully. Slight breeze again

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Literally my second worst weather type today An easterly that delivers the slate grey of early schooling and little else other than boring wind chill. Happy tho that those that missed out daan sa

It's been a peculiar and memorable day of weather ?

View east. Angry sky.   Various animal tracks. Mainly rabbits?   View down the Tweed.   Mr Red Robin. Fearless.   Finally, the boy cat s

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, NUT said:

Why couldn't the rain be a bit further east? ;) It's still pouring down the west coast from what I can see but not here (could do with a good dollop) It is brighter here today thankfully. Slight breeze again

Dont think it rained overnight here either. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dry, although complete cloud cover which at times seems to threaten drizzle, hardly a breath of wind, and so with temp around 18C, it feels rather "close."

roe.thumb.jpg.053ac7568ad7dd326aa6ceb1965e7421.jpg

An early morning visitor.

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does feel quite sticky actually bright but not wall to wall blue skies feels as if the atmosphere is building and if it does rain (anytime next few days) could be quite torrential 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Murky, muggy with drizzly rain off and on all day - max of 18C but felt a bit warmer than that; now 15C.

Ground really dry, still looks powder dry even though concrete surfaces are wet.

Note to Aberdeenshire council.  What is the point of spraying tar onto roads then shovelling some grit on top?  It doesn't solve structural problems in the road but you end up with a plethora of chips on the car paintwork, especially with the delightful people round here that treat all roads as race tracks, the added grit making for more excitement in their mind...   ?

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A smir of drizzle here this morning, but not enough to actually register on the rain gauge, so that's day 21 without any measurable rainfall, beating the May/June dry spell by a day. 

Max of 20.3C today and mostly cloudy until later on when it turned a bit brighter for a while. Very muggy. 

A snap of what's left of the Earn from the Comrie FB page - exceptionally low. 

As others have said, this is turning into some year weatherwise. 

River Earn

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been thrashing down with misty drizzle, the ground is almost wet.

In other news there is still a snow patch on the Cheviot, to the north-west of the summit and probs at about 750m up. It's in England but no-one in England will be able to see it. You can only see it shortly before sunset on a sunny evening as the sun reflects off it, at other times it's not visible. I have only noticed it since I started nightshifts two weeks ago. It must be a reasonable size as it's 15-20 miles away.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another very wet night. Getting wet down tpo couple of inches in the soil profile.Burnt grass areas begining to green up but will be several weeks before there is useable grazing. Currently overcast and 15c

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's been thrashing down with misty drizzle, the ground is almost wet.

In other news there is still a snow patch on the Cheviot, to the north-west of the summit and probs at about 750m up. It's in England but no-one in England will be able to see it. You can only see it shortly before sunset on a sunny evening as the sun reflects off it, at other times it's not visible. I have only noticed it since I started nightshifts two weeks ago. It must be a reasonable size as it's 15-20 miles away.

Are you sure that it is not rock? The snow survey guys were all over Cheviot, the last patches in England this year, and confirmed that the last one melted on the 10th of June.

For anyone interested the Scottish patches have little chance of surviving again this year. Garbh Coire Mor on Braeriach the usual last to go has less old snow now than it often has in September. This will be the first time Scotland has had no snow two years running if it does happen.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Are you sure that it is not rock? The snow survey guys were all over Cheviot, the last patches in England this year, and confirmed that the last one melted on the 10th of June.

For anyone interested the Scottish patches have little chance of surviving again this year. Garbh Coire Mor on Braeriach the usual last to go has less old snow now than it often has in September. This will be the first time Scotland has had no snow two years running if it does happen.

Could be, I just assumed there aren't any large rocky outcrops on it. That would make sense :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another murky, muggy day with outbreaks of light rain/drizzle, especially in the morning.

Light winds and a max of 18C going by the weather station.

One of those instantly forgettable days weather-wise though nice still evening, perfect for sitting back and savouring the scent from the honeysuckle and roses in the garden (latter doing very well this year, no black spot for first time in years).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Heavy rain all around us today - South Lanarks, other parts of the western Borders got a pasting. Went to Biggar and the B Road flooded in parts. Ten minutes drizzle at home. Hosepipe oot!

Leeks coming on...

IMG_20180709_185652.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely day.  80:20 mix of cloud/sunshine during the day but nice and warm with max of 21C.  Light winds again and skies clearing quickly this evening.

Local rookery this evening making one heck of a racket though its impressive seeing them all moving as a single entity (noise of the wings when they turn is quite haunting).  They call this a murmuration for starlings but not sure if you can do the same for rooks.

Snag_2a5adc7.thumb.png.72e05a94477d7de9f2faaa5e484b694e.png

Snag_2b11d16.png

Snag_2b1da4b.png

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Quinach said:

 

Local rookery this evening making one heck of a racket though its impressive seeing them all moving as a single entity (noise of the wings when they turn is quite haunting). 

My local rookeries have not started this carry-on ....yet. Usually they begin flocking late summer at dusk, but overall this has been an unusual weather year!

A pleasant morning with some high cloud, a gentle SW breeze and a temp around 16C at the mo. No sign of rain at present and so I'm off shortly to take doggie for a swim in the R. Feugh while the benign conditions prevail.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mart report from yesterdays cattle sale at Thainstone Inverurie.Currently windy and 18c

 
"Lack of grass due to the prolonged dry spell,brought a sharp increase in numbers forward at yesterday’s sale.Prices fell sharply as a result of buyers concerns about the rising cost of fodder and the diversion of valuable animal feed into AD plants"
 
 

 

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Just got back from hols. Don’t think that there has been very much rain here judging by the front lawn?

 

8D9AE18D-9B9F-49E4-B249-12AA84BF6D4E.jpeg

No. A couple of very light showers earlier in the week but nothing significant. Leuchars has recorded 1.6mm in the last three weeks so that’s probably indicative. Should change in the coming days though!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...