Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NUT said:

I'm thankful that tomorrow will be cooler. That was like a sauna unleashed in a big way out there today (PHEW)! Really does not look like any rain going to brew up anytime soon. Been the most....................probably memorable 6 months weatherwise I can ever remember (and I remember the 2nd half of 1995 inparticulair very well)

Same here, I've plenty to do outside in the garden and on the new house but working outside today was just too uncomfortable. Even indoors changing a couple of light fittings was a sweaty job, so the forecasts of high teens or low twenties here will suite me fine. I'd also really appreciate the garden getting a right good soaking but that's not looking likely. 

Really has been a years of, if not extremes, then at least proper seasons for the first time in a long while.

Edit: At least my hay-fever has settled down somewhat from earlier in the week.

Edited by Ravelin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Never known heat like that in Glasgow today - have experienced it elsewhere so to be walking through my own city with such a hot sun beating down was a new one. Was still over 30c until about 8pm, even now it's high 20s celsius.

Back to a more sensible 26c tomorrow and the next few days, which is still very warm for here.

You can find three year periods when the temperature at Glasgow Airport didn't go above 25C, so 26C is still unusual as you say. 

It has been an incredible year for weather with the very cold westerly in January, the late Feb into March easterly and now this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You can find three year periods when the temperature at Glasgow Airport didn't go above 25C, so 26C is still unusual as you say. 

It has been an incredible year for weather with the very cold westerly in January, the late Feb into March easterly and now this.

 

And the weather we had in may and some subsequent nasty thunderstorms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it was a tad warm out there today, Edinburgh reached an amazing 28C even with the cooler sea breeze from the east. Very unpleasant to be out in. And now it appears as though tomorrow will have a maximum of 15 or 16C which is honestly a bit too cold for my liking 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You can find three year periods when the temperature at Glasgow Airport didn't go above 25C, so 26C is still unusual as you say. 

It has been an incredible year for weather with the very cold westerly in January, the late Feb into March easterly and now this.

 

Blocking in the right places? Wonder how long this type of weather will continue with slow moving HP systems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The car thermometer said 27C to 30C through Easter Ross and the Black Isle on my way home this afternoon. I don't think I've ever seen 30C in Scotland before.  I just love this heat. I went out for a cycle ride early evening, utter bliss in this weather. Caithness has been warm, sunny and barely bothered by midges recently. How does  @Northernlights view the weather? We've had barely any rain for two months here - we can water gardens but not fields - well not in Scotland anyway.

Oh yeah… Good to see  🇧🇪 doing well with a B team this evening; they're my favourites (apart from the fluffy-headed one) and despite my Francophile tendencies, I hope Belgium win it. Jinxed it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

The car thermometer said 27C to 30C through Easter Ross and the Black Isle on my way home this afternoon. I don't think I've ever seen 30C in Scotland before.  I just love this heat. I went out for a cycle ride early evening, utter bliss in this weather. Caithness has been warm, sunny and barely bothered by midges recently. How does  @Northernlights view the weather? We've had barely any rain for two months here - we can water gardens but not fields - well not in Scotland anyway.

Oh yeah… Good to see  🇧🇪 doing well with a B team this evening; they're my favourites (apart from the fluffy-headed one) and despite my Francophile tendencies, I hope Belgium win it. Jinxed it.

 

 A post of mine from a few pages back.This is serious weather.

Although we are getting fantastic hay this ongoing spell of dry weather  if it continues for another few weeks is going to have huge implications for agricultural production including a lot of vegetables because even if there is irrigation equipment a lot of ditches are now dry. Have mentioned to  a few folk that by autumn the weather may be at the top of the             politicians agenda. Notice the local dairy farm is taking their second cut   before it disappears back into the ground. The seed heads were out again in spite of it being just a few inches high so quality is lost at that point. Currently sunny and 26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

 A post of mine from a few pages back.This is serious weather.

Although we are getting fantastic hay this ongoing spell of dry weather  if it continues for another few weeks is going to have huge implications for agricultural production including a lot of vegetables because even if there is irrigation equipment a lot of ditches are now dry. Have mentioned to  a few folk that by autumn the weather may be at the top of the             politicians agenda. Notice the local dairy farm is taking their second cut   before it disappears back into the ground. The seed heads were out again in spite of it being just a few inches high so quality is lost at that point. Currently sunny and 26

Cereals look yellow and short in Easter Ross by the A9; can't say so much locally yet. Potato haulms look ok but I don't know how that reflects tuber development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the haar this morning. I’d like to see high pressure drift south to draw in a westerly or SWly component to the wind and give the (immediate) east coast a chance to share in the high temps. Leuchars yet to top 25c. Not much sign of this in the models, mind! 

Just a minor local moan among the general excellence of this summer so far. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Cereals look yellow and short in Easter Ross by the A9; can't say so much locally yet. Potato haulms look ok but I don't know how that reflects tuber development.

Yes cereals have lower grain numbers as well due to later sowing and moisture limitation and many gravelly /sandy areas in fields are dying off now,second growth (new tillers that  are green at harvest)would be a problem here if they suddenly got rain.  .Straw for bedding cattle will be scarse and expensive too. The main problem for tatties would be sudden heavy  sustained rain which would lead to massve compensatory growth   resulting in lots of growth cracks in the tubers and therefore  a lot of waste tatties  in both ware and seed .Obviously yields will be down if there is no more rain this summer but but in the free market prices should rise. A lot of tatties  are grown on contract so their prices are fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Back to the haar this morning. I’d like to see high pressure drift south to draw in a westerly or SWly component to the wind and give the (immediate) east coast a chance to share in the high temps. Leuchars yet to top 25c. Not much sign of this in the models, mind! 

Just a minor local moan among the general excellence of this summer so far. 😊

There's always one, isn't there? Can't see everyone else being happy...usually it's me complaining I don't like rolled up snowflakes when I'm snowed in with ten foot drifts.

We've been just far enough inland to escape the worst of the haar but it has been a little annoying to miss out on the extreme heat at times. Having said that some days have been cracking at 18C with a decent breeze to keep the flies away so it's swings and roundabouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started sunny but bit of cloud has creeped in (I would assume it was that lot from the east) thankfully keeping it a lot more comfortable than yesterday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haar and low cloud proving to be stubborn to clear from the east (and not just the coast) this morning as the satellite image clearly shows: https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

East coast temps in the 11-13c range while further west Prestwick is already at 23c!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me pesimistic about the cloud ;) Cleared again so back to as you we're

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's order up something like this, please (30.8c at Leuchars).😀

 

EUROPE_PRMSL_TMP850_1990_8_2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Haar and low cloud proving to be stubborn to clear from the east (and not just the coast) this morning as the satellite image clearly shows: https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

East coast temps in the 11-13c range while further west Prestwick is already at 23c!

14.3C here with quite thick cloud. Just over 10C lower than yesterday at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 6z GFS is unbelievable! It's looking like this very warm/hot dry weather will continue for a good while yet which is great for some of us but as @Northernlights and others have said if this spell of dry hot weather continues then it will become a serious problem for many. Hopefully we get some big showers kicking off with all this heat to give some needed rain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scorchio again but with a breeze making it feel much more comfortable than it was yesterday and no cloud whatsoever it's absolute bliss 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool murky morning with temperature hovering around 13C.  Cloud finally broke up around 2pm and temperatures responded accordingly with a very pleasant max of 20C with a gentle breeze.

Now, another gorgeous evening - this is certainly a summer to remember.  Was hearing today about some local private water supplies getting low which gives an idea of how dry things have been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cor blimy rare summer post from me, scorching!! Poor OH had four days in Skye, to attempt a Cuillin traverse, last week. The wet, windy and overcast week. The week sandwiched between all this glorious sun. Lol it was his 50th birthday present. Kids and myself broken up now for seven lovely weeks, off to France soon - not sure why we're bothering given the weather here but at least France will be midge free. Happy summer all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best parts of the day here have been the start and finish. In between it's been cold and cloudy:

20180629_042754.thumb.jpg.7b5f1798f9009bf4e6df7f95f274eddd.jpg20180629_201005.thumb.jpg.a7c4cf2d4ff175b6d4f9f2da912efb80.jpg

I was cross-country today. 26C in Glasgow, 16C in Edinburgh. Two seasons in 45 miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been another cracker of a day, but mist now rolling in, and temps have dropped below 20c. Time to chill in the hot tub with a selection of local brews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely morning here again! Temp at present a very pleasant 15.3c. Charts not showing any change for the foreseable future. I can't remember when we had such along period of dry, sunny weather in Scotland. I'm sure someone on here will be able to come up with a statistic from some year past! No rain forecast either, veggies need watered twice a day and they are looking good! There, I've jinxed it now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@CatchMyDrift  Yes, I had more or less the same experience yesterday - cold and murky at home base early on, roasted in Glasgow but just cleared in the evening on returning. Traveling by train, it was interesting to observe during the late afternoon the changing skies from west to east. The north Fife coast looked really gloomy.

Sun's out this morning, feels warm already. 

Off to Co'path shortly to visit little grandson on his 4th birthday. I wonder if the sun will break through there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...