Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

@Staffordshire It’s not completely unknown, albeit infrequently but quite regularly, for the Aboyne/Inverness/Moray Firth areas of Scotland to record the highest UK temps in summer. Can't exactly explain the science tho'.

Anyway, It has been a super sunny day here, with a gentle breeze holding the temperature around 24C this afternoon. A bank of cumulus did form over the Angus hills earlier this afternoon and there is a suggestion of haze now, but all-in-all very pleasant summery conditions.

Edited by ciel

22 minutes ago, ciel said:

@Staffordshire It’s not completely unknown, albeit infrequently but quite regularly, for the Aboyne/Inverness/Moray Firth areas of Scotland to record the highest UK temps in summer. Can't exactly explain the science tho'.

Anyway, It has been a super sunny day here, with a gentle breeze holding the temperature around 24C this afternoon. A bank of cumulus did form over the Angus hills earlier this afternoon and there is a suggestion of haze now, but all-in-all very pleasant summery conditions.

Foehn winds will cause it, I assume :)

4 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Foehn winds will cause it, I assume :)

Heat gets trapped in the valleys.

You have the perfect conditions, I think: already warm air (under high pressure) giving rise to subsidence, strong sunshine, and no real prevailing wind...A sort of triple whammy?:good:

31.3C at Glasgow/Bishopton. 31.2C was recorded in 1975 which was the highest temperature recorded in Glasgow for 107 years.

Just leaving work, and this is not pleasant to get into. Costa del Denny

IMG_20180628_171117.thumb.jpg.68e9914eb03ad1aed7cd1143091a1a3a.jpg

Strathallan appears to have topped out at 30.5C at 3pm. 

20 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

31.3C at Glasgow/Bishopton. 31.2C was recorded in 1975 which was the highest temperature recorded in Glasgow for 107 years.

The weather station at Bishopton isn't even in Bishopton...let alone that it's in a different council area from Glasgow. I know that's not the point though :)

Much better day in coastal NE Fife and Dundee. Wall to wall sunshine, no haar and temperatures in the 23-25c range! 🙂

1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

Much better day in coastal NE Fife and Dundee. Wall to wall sunshine, no haar and temperatures in the 23-25c range! 🙂

Don't look at tomorrow's forecast :( 😂

Bishopton got 31.6c according to the news. Just missed out. 

18 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Is it not to improve after the next two or so days, a southerly develops...?

GF lives in Leith and I don’t want to be cold haha

Gorgeous here in Dumfries. We’ve done incredibly well out of this summer so far but that’s always the case being fairly far West

Too warm to be on nightshift.

A max of 29.5c here. Was 28.5c yesterday.

Looking perfect going forwards at a very warm 24/25c 

Off to Valencia for a few days end of next week but don’t think I really need to! 

(Provided we get some rain) Long may it continue

14 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Is it not to improve after the next two or so days, a southerly develops...?

GF lives in Leith and I don’t want to be cold haha

Gorgeous here in Dumfries. We’ve done incredibly well out of this summer so far but that’s always the case being fairly far West

Too warm to be on nightshift.

A max of 29.5c here. Was 28.5c yesterday.

Looking perfect going forwards at a very warm 24/25c 

Off to Valencia for a few days end of next week but don’t think I really need to! 

(Provided we get some rain) Long may it continue

Aye, it's just an easterly breeze bringing the temps down a bit tomorrow :)

1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Yes, I just chose to ignore the fact haar is back in the forecast for tomorrow! I’ll be heading inland at the weekend! 😉

1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Bishopton got 31.6c according to the news. Just missed out. 

31.9c according to Mr Batty....hmm.

EDIT: Met Office confirmed 31.9c.

Do we have the Glasgow Airport max, @CatchMyDrift can’t have been far off with his 31.7c prediction?

Edited by Hawesy

19 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

31.9c according to Mr Batty....hmm.

EDIT: Met Office confirmed 31.9c.

Do we have the Glasgow Airport max, @CatchMyDrift can’t have been far off with his 31.7c prediction?

If Bishopton was 31.9 c , Glasgow City Centre must of been higher?

9 minutes ago, scott125 said:

If Bishopton was 31.9 c , Glasgow City Centre must of been higher?

There used to be a Met Office site in Glasgow City Centre but it was closed years ago now (as far as I know).

The charts are crazy. The latest ECM while backing off today's extreme temps are extending the dirty hot summer all the way to +240hrs.

28JunECM96.thumb.jpg.73212fb6ccaac4f6ab248dd4172dec2a.jpg28JunECM144hrs.thumb.jpg.8ea04c1f6df553dc70585097535065c5.jpg28JunECM240.thumb.jpg.07d45e25653b389819712d3fb6432e47.jpg

This is insane, the GFS is similar, it's very dry away out to 11 days and only gets round to some proper rain way into FI. We're getting to the point where we need some rubbish weather soon.

28JunGFSPrecip288.thumb.jpg.2c332bbdf7c6642f9f4eb2dc28080196.jpg

@Northernlights has been explaining the implications but it's looking as if we could have some serious problems coming.

I'm thankful that tomorrow will be cooler. That was like a sauna unleashed in a big way out there today (PHEW)! Really does not look like any rain going to brew up anytime soon. Been the most....................probably memorable 6 months weatherwise I can ever remember (and I remember the 2nd half of 1995 inparticulair very well)

17 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

This is insane, the GFS is similar, it's very dry away out to 11 days and only gets round to some proper rain way into FI. We're getting to the point where we need some rubbish weather soon.

28JunGFSPrecip288.thumb.jpg.2c332bbdf7c6642f9f4eb2dc28080196.jpg

I am heading down to Devon and Cornwall on Sunday for 10 days and it looks like I will see more rain down there than up here in Scotland. I think it’s to turn really humid down South so hopefully if it does rain then I will see some big thunderstorms 😁

Never known heat like that in Glasgow today - have experienced it elsewhere so to be walking through my own city with such a hot sun beating down was a new one. Was still over 30c until about 8pm, even now it's high 20s celsius.

Back to a more sensible 26c tomorrow and the next few days, which is still very warm for here.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

Well, total scorcher here too of course. Weather station was showing into the low 30's in the afternoon peak.

Was off the day as the car was in the garage, so been enjoying the sun as much as possible. Nice long dug walk earlier, bit kept to the forest to ensure shade.

Maybe getting a bit too hot. However, the cooler nights make it alright as it's heat at night that I can't take.

Gairdin is holding up; just the lawn looking a bit dry. We've had some bouts of very heavy rain and the local springs are still flowing, so not parched as yet here. Made mental note to look for the sprinkler though, as it looks like it'll be needed.