Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Another day of sunshine and, well, no showers (though some cloud off and on all day).

Light winds, temperature max of 22C - what's not to like.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms
22 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I've had a look on Google Maps to see if I can find the station but have come up with nothing. Any ideas anyone?

As far as I know it's within the area I have circled red on this map.  (South west edge of Strathclyde Loch). 

motherwellweatherstation.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm not sure that's normal for a Met-O site, it's supposed to be on grass surely? No wonder they discounted the reading.

No, it seems like a really stupid place to have it.  I did find a post elsewhere about it with a photo of the offending white box located right by the fence (will post if I find it again).

Posted

Getting very accustomed to takin my coffee outside at 7am and not moving for an hour, who needs Spain or Greece when we have this........

• Like 3

Posted

Cool overnight with a heavy dew which has relived pressure on anything still green.Finished cultivating neeps early am just as leaves are about to meet across the drills a full three weeks ahead of normal.Growth rates are off the scale this summer.     Currently sunny and already 20c

Now the ominous side there is a forest fire across the Firth near Golspie .They have permission to water bomb but seemingly there are no helicopters available. It appears to cover quite a large area.Know a farmer in the vicinity. We are going to remember this summer for a lot of reasons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
47 minutes ago, Ceitidh said:

No, it seems like a really stupid place to have it.  I did find a post elsewhere about it with a photo of the offending white box located right by the fence (will post if I find it again).

Surely even putting it next to a metal fence could affect readings, are they not supposed to be a certain distance away from any object? Of all the open areas they could put it at strathy putting it next to where the boats are stored where cars and vans frequently go seems like a strange one but maybe they were worried about it being vandalised if it was out in the open.

Looks like a top temp of about 23C today and not dropping below 17 tonight  today is the 14th consecutive day where the minimum daytime max has been at least 20C here, been a while since that happened.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Another cracker. Blue skies with some fluffy clouds, light breeze and probably into the low 20s.

Not that I actually picked it as such, but if I could have picked a year to move into a house needing lots of outside work done, and have my longest ever "holiday" (changing careers), I couldn't have picked better. 

• Like 1

Posted

Promised a while ago but never got around to it, the view from the lounge window in our new house... 

IMG_20180707_134004.thumb.jpg.ed816d0a333922d9e8e07cce9c83135d.jpg

IMG_20180707_134155.thumb.jpg.28c117b916a2608dbf32846305024de7.jpg

Don't think I'll ever get bored of that. 

• Like 8

Posted

Still pretty warm outside but fairly cloudy

• Like 1

Posted

Another warm and now breezy day with a fair amount of cloud cover. While the recent temps have been pleasant and not overly oppressive in my location, I am really looking forward to rainfall in order to freshen everything up

I have never seen the garden and surrounds so dried out, and so devoid of bees, butterflies and juvenile birds.  Found a dead male swallow in the trailer parked in the outbuilding a couple of days ago, so perhaps no swallow broods this year

I had a mini heather fire in the garden a couple of days ago – the bare earth in the pic is where it occurred, but the scorched Honeysuckle is still to be dealt with. 1960609233_fire02.thumb.jpg.64594b8d9b43a940d7d39e2a7f15f671.jpg(I take no responsibility as to how it was ignited ), but it took hold very close to the oil tank. Fortunately the hose was hooked up to the tap.

Mediterranean gardens are fine in the Med area, but in central / NE Scotland, probably not.

• Like 6

Posted

Found a bit more info on the location of the Motherwell temperature reading here including photos.  It can be seen on google earth and is on a tiny patch of grass and there is an ice cream van that sits there. https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2018/07/07/thermometer-at-strathclyde-park-located/

A145CF40-7B01-41C5-899A-DC2A6A00901B.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Baled last of 2018 hay in small bales today. almost two weeks before we started the hay in 2017 such a contrast between years. Young Mr Northernlights taking them in undercover just now. Smoky sunset to the north across the Firth from the forest fire. Still warm at  20c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Baled last of 2018 hay in small bales today. almost two weeks before we started the hay in 2017 such a contrast between years. Young Mr Northernlights taking them in undercover just now. Smoky sunset to the north across the Firth from the forest fire. Still warm at  20c.

Can't recall exactly when it was, NL (1991 or '2?) but the sky all around the Glen was glowing orange...Ever see that fillum called Red Skies of Montana?

Posted

So this must be what its like to live on the Canadian Prairie.  Day after day of blue skies, warm temperatures and a landscape getting ever browner as the summer progresses  

Another blissful day, max of 25C (in Alford as there all day) with light winds.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite a bit of cloud around but lovely and warm.  Currently 21.5C.

• Like 1

Posted

Like somebody's flicked a switch. The clouds we're fairly onimous say half an hour ago but just like that yet again they are clearing

• Like 1

Posted

Cooler and cloudier today but fresh west wind has turned forest  fire towards the village of Golspie.Helicopter now water bombing and more fire engines have arrived. There were a few light showers near the fire but they have now crossed the Firth to Elgin.Its great to see dark clouds even though we have had no rain.Currently dull and 20c

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Cooler and cloudier today but fresh west wind has turned forest  fire towards the village of Golspie.Helicopter now water bombing and more fire engines have arrived. There were a few light showers near the fire but they have now crossed the Firth to Elgin.Its great to see dark clouds even though we have had no rain.Currently dull and 20c

We have just  had some heavy drizzle. Been really nice to walk outside in it At least the dust has had a dampen down and the plants have had a bit of relief.

Posted

Warmest day of the year here with 26c at Leuchars and Dundee Riverside. Fair breeze blowing down the Tay into Broughty Ferry, mind! But it’s WESTERLY! 

Was up at Glen Esk, nice part of the world!

86BC517D-EF9F-4E8D-8C4C-BE2786C85124.jpeg

5F8705FB-FF6C-469E-B88E-995CD954C1DB.jpeg

E3B49C0F-BE68-41C6-ABAE-CA03E43A8156.jpeg

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 7

Posted

Temperature dropped 10c in an hour (26c at 6pm, 16c at 7pm), wind switched from west to east, and we have some light rain! 

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, ciel said:

Oh, a sprinkle of rain here.:) 17,35.

Encountered that strange phenomenon here too, water falling from the sky, albeit briefly. So stunned by it that I just continued working in the garden, enjoying the feeling of getting slightly damp. 

Other than that it started warm, 19C at 9am, warmed up to around 23C but clouded over later in the afternoon. 

Watching the models looking for more significant rain at the moment is a bit like watching for snow in the winter. The promise is always there, but it's always 8 or 9 days away and never seems to get any closer. 

• Like 5

Posted

A day of two halves.  Morning warm (24C max!) with some sunshine and light winds.

Band of thicker cloud arrived in early afternoon accompanied by some very light rain (enough to wet the ground for a few minutes and to give a brief sensation of petrichor).  Thereafter noticeably cooler, temp dropping rapidly to 17C at teatime.

Picture of the River Don today looking west from the bridge at Montgarrie - level is pretty low but just scraping the "normal" range going by the SEPA website - link (measuring station just round the corner of the river).

Snag_26252ad.thumb.png.55a7c3dee85aa064d5500ab68d58ea00.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Heaven be praised. It's raining here! 

EDIT. Look, for real:

IMG-20180709-WA0002.jpeg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2