Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Bit of strange day, was expecting lots of sunshine but didn't quite work out as such.

Hazy sunshine from the word go which just degenerated into overcast conditions from mid-afternoon onwards. 

Very respectable maximum temperature of 23C just after 1pm, but cooling down quickly after that to 16C with the overcast conditions.

Very light winds and midges are on the rampage this evening, contrary to the area forecast.

A clearer end to the day after high cloud restricted the sunlight earlier. A few degrees warmer than forecast with a high of 26C at Glasgow airport. In my lifetime there hasn't been a temperature higher than 28C at Glasgow airport -  stations on the Coast such as Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Prestwick have all recorded higher maxima. It looks like the next two days could be the warmest since 1995, possibly record breaking. The Scottish record probably won't be beaten, but you never know certainly Glasgow's record of 31C in August 1975 could potentially be equalled or even beaten. The last 30C was in July 1983, 29.9C was recorded in 1995 and 29.6C has been recorded twice in June - these figures would be recorded as 30C nowadays with whole numbers used since 2000.

This year Glasgow airport recorded the lowest temperature since 2010 in January, the coldest February and March maximum on record, the coldest April maximum since the 1980s, the most 20C days in May since 1992 and June should have most days with 20C before the month is out. 

It's hard to think of a more fulfilling first half of the year for weather than this. 2013, 2010 were fairly interesting and 1995 was remarkable for extremes but this year has progressed very well with consistently interesting weather throughout with a few lulls. We're very used to our weather being generally quite mundane and forgettable with intermittent spells of decent, seasonal and interesting weather and summer and winter tend to be disappointing, anything noteworthy being a flash in the pan event. This year we've luckily had a seasonal winter and summer with an interesting Spring in between. We've had more than our fair share of notable events with significant snow in January, the Beast from the east in February/March, a very prolonged spell of settled, dry, warm weather in May/June - consequently Model watching has been much more captivating than usual. It's all been remarkably dry without the relentless Influence of the Atlantic. This month alone has had noctilucent cloud displays, a notable summer wind event, a few thunderstorms including a hailstorm near Dunblane, and one of the more interesting thunder events I've experienced in recent years with frequent thunder, heavy rain, a little hail and my first sighting of a lightning bolt in a number of years. It's fair to say we've been spoiled this year with 2018 already going down as a year to remember. 

The next couple of days are going to be very interesting to experience and to see potentially historic and perhaps record breaking weather. Hopefully Glasgow will reach 30C for the first time in decades - possibly two days in a row - and maybe 33C could be recorded somewhere in Scotland. Tomorrow should see the 30C in the highlands with models showing the highest temperatures around Inverness - perhaps our best bet for a record. The Glasgow area should see the highest temperatures on Thursday, the BBC showing 29C, while accuweather has 30C, STV 31C and incredibly 32C on the weather channel.

Dull and grey, 13c.

I see that Aviemore is already at 14c at 10am!

Much less high cloud as a consequence a lot sunnier and already hot but comfortable

This is the best part of the summer if you're looking for record breaking temps with the most hours of sun and it's near it's highest point so there's every chance a few records could go today or tomorrow.

Ongoing battle between sun and haar in St Andrews! 15c.

Toasty here, not sure of exact temp but must be around the same as Aboyne, which was 26.7C at 1pm.

Meeeeeeellllllllttttinnngggggg  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿☀️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Drafting office like a greenhouse, lots of glass and no air con.

27c here with bright blue skies .Just turned some hay cut late Monday,Will bale tomorrow as very crisp already .Very rare three day hay although it was more or less hay when it was cut.

I think I have chosen a great couple of weeks to be off work! I am absolutely loving this!

Currently relaxing in the local park while the kids are playing with their friends. Going back home soon to start the BBQ and get the pool set up for the kids 😎

179105C7-3603-4B03-A3B7-C800975E8849.thumb.jpeg.df1e51de12436c474f008175ac67699a.jpeg

17 hours ago, Ross90 said:

Could the all time Scottish record be under threat this week? I think it's 32.9C so with 32 being forecast you never know.

That's right, 32.2C for June record

We still got tomorrow to go too if this is today would be surprised if somethihg isn't smashed

1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Ongoing battle between sun and haar in St Andrews! 15c.

So basically you're saying I should take my 22C and stick it somewhere? :)

My car thermometer lost 3C in the last 2 miles heading home this afternoon but it looks like we're getting lucky today and joining in with the sunshine and heat.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Haar has been lurking off east Lothian coast all day, keeping a coolness in the air even with sunshine. Won't get local max temp til NCM tomorrow morning

2706haarttt.png

Impressive, quite a gusty wind out there at the moment but irrespective temperature at 26.3C.

Very foggy start but that cleared by 9am to leave clear blue skies. 🌞

Any potential breakdown on the models this run appears to have been vanished this could turn out into quite something developing 

38 minutes ago, NUT said:

Any potential breakdown on the models this run appears to have been vanished this could turn out into quite something developing 

I know it's just the Met-O automated forecast but I can't remember seeing so many sun symbols in one go:

527731260_Screenshot_20180627-150711_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2e23ffea0a07ad3b8e4be46f3452615b.jpg20180627_152826.thumb.jpg.b613ec1177a03a73e5545c204e188ad1.jpg

It reminds me of all the snow symbols a few months ago :)

Although we are getting fantastic hay this ongoing spell of dry weather  if it continues for another few weeks is going to have huge implications for agricultural production including a lot of vegetables because even if there is irrigation equipment a lot of ditches are now dry. Have mentioned to  a few folk that by autumn the weather may be at the top of the             politicians agenda. Notice the local dairy farm is taking their second cut   before it disappears back into the ground. The seed heads were out again in spite of it being just a few inches high so quality is lost at that point. Currently sunny and 26c

Just in from collecting eldest from work, and car was reading 30c whilst doing 70 on the matey.

3 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

Haar has been lurking off east Lothian coast all day, keeping a coolness in the air even with sunshine. Won't get local max temp til NCM tomorrow morning

2706haarttt.png

That sums up conditions here perfectly. Just been out for a run and was glad to be moving to keep warm! 😁

Absolute roaster here. Was cooler at work in Edinburgh due to the haar, which is always quite a site as you come over soutra and look down over east lothian. I'd take some photos of it but that's against the law now; at least while yer daein 60 mph. 

Anyway went out for an evening dug walk and it was idyllic. Fields of gold stuff. Went into the woods up the hill where there's a spring line and discovered a forest of foxgloves; really impressive growth and lovely in the late evening light streaming through the trees.

However, it was at that point I was caught by a marauding pack of cleggs.

Trapped by thick ferns, a boggy area and a barbed wire fence, it got really nasty really quickly. Was telling the dugs 'Just run, leave me, save yersels!' at one point while I thrashed my way wildly through the undergrowth, swatting madly.

Home now getting treated by Mrs SS and her sting cream. Cold beer helping.

Man it's hot.

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG