Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Aye it doesn’t happen often anywhere in Scotland. Last time for Glasgow (Airport) was from memory June 1995 (quite a year for temperature extremes!). I remember it well living and working in Glasgow at the time, the hot spell ended with cracking thunderstorms.

All time record is, I think, 31.2c (1975) at Glasgow Airport.

https://en.tutiempo.net/climate/06-1995/ws-31400.html

June 1995 was 29.6C

August 1995 was 29.9C

:)

It's hot and sunny here.

Few standard phone photaes of said hot and sunny weather...

- Dug walk yesterday lunchtime with hot dugs included (burn visit of course part of itinerary). 

- Second dug walk (forest section) at dusk because the weather is crackin. I love the way the woods are full of ferns at this time; positively primeval. 

- Looking over Embra westwards down the midland valley from the top of Hillend (the day's ski session).

Guid tae hae summer back again. 🙂

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

5 hours ago, Cheggers said:

Red sky at night

FB_IMG_1529962880541.thumb.jpg.e834d208aa4f129e8a27ee735aa69a03.jpg

Nice one, yours is better than mine was 😎

20180625_222106.thumb.jpg.95b31b5d66ca84cd991e704b7a1036eb.jpg

Fabulous start to the day heavy dew taking pressure off crops but a real fairweather sky with high cloud after years of almost none. Made another super batch of hay yesterday and left them out all night with another dry day forcast.  A real reminder of 1976. with no pressure to get them undercover.     Cut some more as well.     Grass for grazing is getting very short so aftermaths with a bit of grass round the edges will keep cattle going for a few more days. . Currently sunny and 17c

12 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

https://en.tutiempo.net/climate/06-1995/ws-31400.html

June 1995 was 29.6C

August 1995 was 29.9C

:)

Damn, my memory playing tricks on me! Wonder when the last 30c or above reading at Glasgow Airport was then. Perhaps it was 1975!

Sun slowly burning off the haar this morning - currently 13c.

Edited by Hawesy

1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Fabulous start to the day heavy dew taking pressure off crops but a real fairweather sky with high cloud after years of almost none. Made another super batch of hay yesterday and left them out all night with another dry day forcast.  A real reminder of 1976. with no pressure to get them undercover.     Cut some more as well.     Grass for grazing is getting very short so aftermaths with a bit of grass round the edges will keep cattle going for a few more days. . Currently sunny and 17c

Coming from a Cattle farming family, I love your updates. What breed of beef cattle do you have on the farm ? Still very cool over here not much growth on the higher pastures so livestock limited access at the moment. 10c outside and a real chill still in the air. Looks like a great summer in the British Isles so far .

C

2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Damn, my memory playing tricks on me! Wonder when the last 30c or above reading at Glasgow Airport was then. Perhaps it was 1975!

Aye, the fkn haar didnae take long tae find us again Hawesy! 😭

Looking at the TV Forecasts last night and being led to believe it would only be the coast that would be troubled by haar this morning? 😠

Big haar hatin Innes 😞

The high cloud today seems a bit thicker although still some hazy sun. Hotter than yesterday though (and still got 2 days of heat to build)

20 minutes ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Aye, the fkn haar didnae take long tae find us again Hawesy! 😭

Looking at the TV Forecasts last night and being led to believe it would only be the coast that would be troubled by haar this morning? 😠

Big haar hatin Innes 😞

Aye, parts of the east coast are suffering a bit today: it lifted for a while here in St Andrews but it's very hazy again and the temperature is only 15c so feeling chilly in the SEly breeze. I thought that was bad but I see Inverbervie is stuck on 11c...while Aboyne is sitting on 23c!

Edited by Hawesy

20 minutes ago, NUT said:

The high cloud today seems a bit thicker although still some hazy sun. Hotter than yesterday though (and still got 2 days of heat to build)

Forgot to add unlike last few days barely 1 breath of wind

STV saying Glasgow could hit 31 on Thursday very toasty if it happens

6 hours ago, carinthian said:

Coming from a Cattle farming family, I love your updates. What breed of beef cattle do you have on the farm ? Still very cool over here not much growth on the higher pastures so livestock limited access at the moment. 10c outside and a real chill still in the air. Looks like a great summer in the British Isles so far .

C

The cows are a mixture of Limousin.,Aberdeen Angus and Simmental crosses but we use a pedigree Simmental bull on them.Bull calves are fed on to 18 months old for beef and heifers at eighteen months old are sold for breeding.Helped a neighbour get in 900 small bales of hay this morning so taking tea now. Currently bright and 20c

6 hours ago, Hawesy said:

I had a quick look last night and it may have been 1983. Some years the max temp is only 24C!

2 hours ago, NUT said:

STV saying Glasgow could hit 31 on Thursday very toasty if it happens

This is quite possible going by the GFS:

2011000826_Screenshot_20180626-180023_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c11efa90797d98af915eefaef913ed28.jpg

29 near Glasgow could be 30 or 31 in reality. 

Tomorrow could also go as high as 31 or even 32 if the GFS is right, this time to the west of Inverness:

1606936900_Screenshot_20180626-175931_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.be9bde7f1640fe919e630f14545b190f.jpg

@Hawesy I must stop whining after seeing your post, I thought I was badly done to with "only" 21C but you're getting it very bad today. Damn North Sea!!

Edited by CatchMyDrift

33 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

The cows are a mixture of Limousin.,Aberdeen Angus and Simmental crosses but we use a pedigree Simmental bull on them.Bull calves are fed on to 18 months old for beef and heifers at eighteen months old are sold for breeding.Helped a neighbour get in 900 small bales of hay this morning so taking tea now. Currently bright and 20c

My dad fattened Red Angus and Welsh Blacks on his farm . I remember as a young lad a Cattle breeder and dealer from near Dundee sent a regular supply to my dad farm down in Cheshire, Angus beef stock of course.  The Co-op in North Wales bought almost all my dads beef stock. I remember also as a young lad going into the Queens butchers with my dad in Ballater to buy some Aberdeen Angus beef and White puddings. The best taste on earth !

C

The Easterly breeze certainly dropped our temperatures from yesterday. Even so we briefly hit 21C though most of the day was more like 17C with hazy sunshine at times. 

46 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Hawesy I must stop whining after seeing your post, I thought I was badly done to with "only" 21C but you're getting it very bad today. Damn North Sea!!

😁 I’d probably be more upset about it if I wasn’t working! Its now very grey and cool at 12c. Looks like Inverbervie maxed out at 11c.

Looks more promising for tomorrow with less haar forecast, will gladly take the high teens and some bright sunshine!

Will be keeping a close watch on some of these temperature predictions, possibility of some records going!

24 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

😁 I’d probably be more upset about it if I wasn’t working! Its now very grey and cool at 12c. Looks like Inverbervie maxed out at 11c.

Looks more promising for tomorrow with less haar forecast, will gladly take the high teens and some bright sunshine!

Will be keeping a close watch on some of these temperature predictions, possibility of some records going!

I've gone through the Glasgow Airport temp records from 1973 (see previous link) and that station has recorded 30C+ on just 2 occasions. 4th August 1975 and 12th July 1983. Twice in 45 years, I think that counts as rare. 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

32 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I've gone through the Glasgow Airport temp records from 1973 (see previous link) and that station has recorded 30C+ on just 2 occasions. 4th August 1975 and 12th July 1983. Twice in 45 years, I think that counts as rare. 

Good work @CatchMyDrift ! You think we’ll see a third this week? I only do snow predictions 😉

Meanwhile the Costa del Tay this evening...

7C2819FA-B02C-4169-AC57-E070E3C998D8.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Good work @CatchMyDrift ! You think we’ll see a third this week? I only do snow predictions 😉

Meanwhile the Costa del Tay this evening...

7C2819FA-B02C-4169-AC57-E070E3C998D8.jpeg

Nice side step on the prediction. Why not 30C at Glasgow Airport? If it's not 30C it's going to be 29.6C :)

It might be that somewhere up north bags the 30C+ first, I have no idea where the Met-O sites are up there.

It has been an topsy-turvy weather day here with a sunny start at home and then fog at work. The last two pics were taken from the same spot but in opposite directions with blue skies one way and cloudier skies the other:

20180626_050246.thumb.jpg.36acceb4611f89f5ded6601b7c4f8c32.jpg20180626_050259.thumb.jpg.403916965233080c7128b1128a7669f7.jpg20180626_054839.thumb.jpg.e8ccb161772c1a780456190669b95ab8.jpg

20180626_161735.thumb.jpg.d4ef885840eb58f0a0422335d82dc319.jpg20180626_161758.thumb.jpg.2708ba834e2e025921b5f79492799334.jpg

Edited by CatchMyDrift

We've had hot and sunny here all day I think, apart from a bit dull on the Edinburgh bypass this morning clearing by Stirling. We were up at Crianlarich then Callander,  and it was hazy but hot there. Was bright sun here when we got home.

If anyone has an iPhone, the weather app (which I think takes its predictions from the weather channel) is now predicting 29c tomorrow, and 32c on Thursday, for Glasgow.

If Thursday's prediction was to come to fruition, I believe that would be a record.

Weird how it stayed fairly hazy for most of the day (and no wind) yet as soon as the sun sets the wind's increased and the skies have cleared. Hopefully a clearer day tomorrow

Could the all time Scottish record be under threat this week? I think it's 32.9C so with 32 being forecast you never know.