Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

High speed hay this afternoon.Dry brittle and very green just perfect.Once in 20 years weather for hay. Sunny warm and low humidity.Currently Meditteranean skies and 20c. All stacked in bundles of twenty ready to take in courtesy of some helpful non farming neighbours.

Still turning hay hopefully bale  more tomorrow. Just dropped off some cans for the neighbours so they are smiling too

• Like 3

Posted

IMG-20180624-WA0023.jpeg

Me in the garden with new chair bliss could get used to this

Edited by NUT
  • Like 4

Posted

Blue skies, enough wind to keep the flies away, temperature of 21C max.  Cannot ask for much better really weather wise. 

Just need some proper hayfever tablets as the ones at the moment cannot cope with whatever pollen is out there just now 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
12 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Heading out for a walk in the Angus glens shortly.

Interesting to read about folks’ temperature preferences. For me, in summer, anything in the 20s is great. Teens just don’t cut it, I like a bit of warmth (unfortunate, given I live in Scotland ). Optimum would be the 25c-27c range! 30s are too hot and restrict outdoor pursuits unless you’re acclimatised. Warm evenings are my favourite, nothing like a cold beer in short sleeves with a setting sun! 

Lower 20s for me with cooler nights. We hit 23.9C as a max today which was about spot on. Still over 22C now. Hot again tomorrow but looks like more of an Easterly for Tuesday bringing a bit of cloud and lower temperatures at least temporarily. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Had a lovely day oot, went to St Abbs. Not unbearable as slight breeze from the sea. Not too busy at all, very calm and peaceful. Happyhappy.

• Like 5

Posted

Just had to mention this as have just been out to watch the glow of the set sun to the north and was coming back through the garden when I noticed our resident badger has helped himself to one of the early potato plants and scoffed the lot.  Have never witnessed this before Had just told Mrs Northernlights that they would be ready to use in week. Another first for this year, a year that that is turning into a very memorable one not just the weather.  90% of hay  bales under cover and turnips almost all scarified. Currently  13.5c and clear.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Thinking back to this time last year, Edinburgh was under water in it's wettest June on record. Very different story this year. 

sunshinegifford.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Settled, sunny and cloudless with steadily improving temps through the weekend. Max of 23.3C yesterday and already 19.6C this morning. Proper scorchio by the looks of things later on this week and continuing dry and settled in the reliable. Some snaps from yesterday evening on the Langside (the hill road to Comrie). Glorious. 

IMG_20180624_2025042.jpg

IMG_20180624_2025068.jpg

IMG_20180624_2025122.jpg

IMG_20180624_2024466.jpg

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 3

Posted
15 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

What do you use? I've been surprised at how effective Sainsbury's One a Day tablets have been.

Been using generic cetrizine and also loratadine (latter works best early in season, former once the grass pollen gets going).

This is the first year when neither have worked well for whatever reason.  Resorted to also combining the tablet with smearing petrolatum around the front and inside the nose. Kids find it hilarious and the shiny nose looks a bit silly but past caring as it does make a good difference in stopping the worst of the sneezing.

Going to be a hot day here, already up to 20C and unbroken sunshine.  Bit more of a breeze would be nice as the flies are swarming round humans and animals alike, no clegs (yet....).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
6 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Been using generic cetrizine and also loratadine (latter works best early in season, former once the grass pollen gets going).

This is the first year when neither have worked well for whatever reason.  Resorted to also combining the tablet with smearing petrolatum around the front and inside the nose. Kids find it hilarious and the shiny nose looks a bit silly but past caring as it does make a good difference in stopping the worst of the sneezing.

Going to be a hot day here, already up to 20C and unbroken sunshine.  Bit more of a breeze would be nice as the flies are swarming round humans and animals alike, no clegs (yet....).

The clegs are coming absolutely horrendous  in the trossachs just now .it's usally the midges  that are the  worst  but this year it's  the ninja like clegs that's biting

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Quinach said:

I never had hay fever until 2010, having just moved back south after 20 years' in the NW Highland countryside. Now, however, it's like an annual plague. What's more, I've no idea what the specific allergen is...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

The clegs are coming absolutely horrendous  in the trossachs just now .it's usally the midges  that are the  worst  but this year it's  the ninja like clegs that's biting

Aye, and there's nowt much worse than a cleg-bite on the Trossachs!

• Like 6

Posted

Little more high cloud today but another scorchio

• Like 1

Posted

Cooler day than yesterday locally as an onshore breeze has pegged the temperature back to 19c. Still, under bright sunny skies there’s nothing to complain about!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

23C here at the moment, plenty warm enough for me. Also suffering unusually badly with hay-fever the last few days, at a time of year when normally the worst is over for me. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Got hotter and hotter up here, fabulous day and still hot!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I see possible 29c for Glasgow this week. If we reach 30c I think that might be a first in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I see possible 29c for Glasgow this week. If we reach 30c I think that might be a first in my lifetime.

Aye it doesn’t happen often anywhere in Scotland. Last time for Glasgow (Airport) was from memory June 1995 (quite a year for temperature extremes!). I remember it well living and working in Glasgow at the time, the hot spell ended with cracking thunderstorms.

All time record is, I think, 31.2c (1975) at Glasgow Airport.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Aye it doesn’t happen often anywhere in Scotland. Last time for Glasgow (Airport) was from memory June 1995 (quite a year for temperature extremes!). I remember it well living and working in Glasgow at the time, the hot spell ended with cracking thunderstorms.

The Scottish record is 32.9C at Greycrook in 2003. I don’t think that is in danger this week but you never know.

Here we got 25.1 C as a max today beating the previous high by 0.1C before the breeze freshened from the SE in the afternoon. It was noticeably cooler the further Into town I went this afternoon with more of a breeze nearer the sea.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Okay, if the airport reached 30 in 1995 then it won't be a first in my lifetime! Still doesn't happen often as you say, so it really is a stand out forecast. Think 30c is now being predicted on Thurs although that will likely change.

• Like 1