Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

8 minutes ago, ciel said:

Actually, today, the parsnips were replaced by a few chickens and a plethora of pies and sausages (both round and square). I fancied in the circumstances, a haggis but there were no usable neeps - not even in the freezers - and the tattiess looked a bit weary.

I'm assuming there have been difficulties in supplying fresh produce to stores due to the brisk cold snap earlier this month....but really, is the co-op a failing business model?  :cc_confused: Whatever, I always shop there because it is my nearest provider.

Some of us don't have the luxury of shopping around.

Our local Co-op is ok, and has recovered from the recent supply problems, although it took longer to do so than the big supermarkets in Inverness.  Compared to other local shops in the Highlands, Co-ops are usually a big step up from the rest. Their prices are unfortunately a step up from the Inverness supermarkets, and the majority of folk who have cars here don't use the Co-op. So the majority of the Co-op's customers are the elderly, kids on breaks from school, local folk who don't have cars and a few people like us who boycott big supermarkets because of what they've done to the supply chain in the UK in the last 30 years. I could go on...

• Like 3
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Literally my second worst weather type today An easterly that delivers the slate grey of early schooling and little else other than boring wind chill. Happy tho that those that missed out daan sa

It's been a peculiar and memorable day of weather ?

View east. Angry sky.   Various animal tracks. Mainly rabbits?   View down the Tweed.   Mr Red Robin. Fearless.   Finally, the boy cat s

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JamesM said:

A cold, grey day which felt more January than March although it is slightly brighter at home than it was at work all day.

Doubt I'll see much more than a flurry over the weekend but I might be surprised. 

Not sure how anyone is meant to make sense of the Met Office warnings for tomorrow!

IMG_4333.thumb.PNG.2d4a0b4a06ab218e921050ff3c9e0a3d.PNG

The polite description is a shambles.

2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

@Nick L -  'rubbish' doesn't quite convey the depth of feeling in my chosen descriptor. However I do understand that we're all delicate snowflakes reading this thread so quite understand the editing. :p

it is madness an adult thread cannot have the odd swear word.... in fact its complete bulls testicles 

snaw has not called off morning football but being waterlogged has

will take that for a lie in :spiteful:

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, shuggee said:

I'm not expecting anything other than maybe some flakes in the not insubstantial wind. Am I the only one completely playing this down in southern Scotland, or am I wilfully ignoring a Sunday dawn reality of 5 -10cm? :cc_confused: :unknw:

@Hawesy @CatchMyDrift @mardatha ???!!!

I am not expecting much and may well get caught out too. It would be wrong to demand too much after what we've had :)

• Like 4

Unpleasant doesn’t begin to describe today’s horror show. Reminded me exactly why I hate easterlies so much in spite of the odd snow bonanza. 90% of the time they bring grim, depressing weather but today was notably awful. Most folk I’ve spoken to are repulsed by the thought of more snow. I warned them I’d be passing their names and addresses to @edo :D

@shuggee Not entirely sure what to make of tomorrow nights prospects. As you say it’s possibly creeping up on us and any other year would be generating a lot more interest in this thread! Still struggling to see much more than a dusting to 2cm for most though. Will take a look again to tomorrow.

• Like 4

Looking at the radar there is little precipitation over the North Sea or immediate coastal areas just now but as the cloud comes inland it peps up again. It is the first time we have been dry since yesterday afternoon. Still breezy at 1.6C.

• Like 1

Flakes here too at 1c with strong breeze.Suffering withdrawl symptoms as broadband down most of today and  3rd  BT engineer failed to show between 1.00pm and 6.00pm.Think they are still fixing faults in snow affected areas from a fortnight ago.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, LeithRayOfSunshine said:

Lamp post "something" going on here. Can't say for sure it's snow but overall conditions seem to be in favour. Rather underwhelming report but best I can do  !

Much the same here. Something's blowing past the lamppost but hard to tell what. Makes a noise when it hits the window so maybe graupel?

• Like 1

Nothing here overnight. It felt very cold yesterday though, hubby and I had a sneaky day off work (without the kids) and went for a walk around the trails behind the house in the afternoon. Still some quiet deep snow patches in places. It was grey and cold but I quite enjoyed having a stomp without having to constantly chant "keep up", "mind the dog poo" "put down that stick, no put it down you'll have your brother's eye out" "who hit who" "what's wrong with your leg now" "are you OK, I told you to put down the stick, now see what's happened" and on and on....... 

_20180317_071554.JPG

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Snow on here. Light so far but settling.

Ditto, beginnings of a dusting, but most just blowing towards Glasgow horizontally.

• Like 2

A grey morning again  - there hasn't been a decent sunrise visible for what seems like yonks. Even doggie was unenthusiastic about her morning walk.

Temp 0C, easterly breeze, and a sprinkle of grauple. The hills too have just a smattering of the white stuff.

Will spring ever arrive?

• Like 4

dog poo frozen to the patio, the odd snaw flake in the wind. and the boss lady has got the camel this morning, perfect start to the weekend. oh well at least my footie team cannot upset me this time round as no play today.

Lightly snowing/graupeling here too, but although it's lying it's barely enough to call a dusting. At least my driveway clearings snow patch,  pathetic and dirty looking as it is, made it through to the two weeks mark. Doubt it'll survive the weekend though. 

Still giggling at @snowidea's perfect description of a walk with the kids. Sounded far too familiar. 

• Like 3

Hammering down here now at a rate of ohhhhh........maybe 4 or 5 flakes a second! If it stays like this until sometime in mid-April then the yellow warning will definitely have been justified :D

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Hammering down here now at a rate of ohhhhh........maybe 4 or 5 flakes a second! If it stays like this until sometime in mid-April then the yellow warning will definitely have been justified :D

Same here,101. :D

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 101_North said:

@101_North the warning for snow doesn’t start until 5pm today (current warning is for ice). I wouldn’t expect to see anything other than a few flakes until this evening. Sticking my neck out I reckon you’ll have 4cm by tomorrow morning. 

:D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

@101_North the warning for snow doesn’t start until 5pm today (current warning is for ice). I wouldn’t expect to see anything other than a few flakes until this evening. Sticking my neck out I reckon you’ll have 4cm by tomorrow morning. 

:D

I'll take that sir but now everyone will want an estimate :D

• Like 3