Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

The damage from the start of March is begining to emerge from the melting drifts as hundreds of dead sheep are discovered in the hilly areas of the borders and central Scotland. These hardy Blackface sheep are always left to fend for themselves on the hill and normally can survive most storms but  I belive the depth of drifts is the worst seen for decades.

Up here  its the lack of grass growth and cold soils for sowing crops that is  the worst worry. Even if it warms up in a week it will be  several weeks before there is enough .grass to sustain grazing animals. The feed reps all have smiles on their faces. Currently bright and 4c and snowy looking cloud coming in from the NE across the Firth so no spring warmth yet.

• Like 2

Rather moderate snaw here currently. not settling mind, but still nice to see and looks like Monday night and Tuesday could be some fun.

Posted

For the third time in a month the clouds are now travelling in the “wrong” direction. Way too late (here at least) ,in the now stupidly extended season   but still pretty amazing

Edited by Serac

Totally off topic this one. me and the family are going to Dundee for a few nights 13th and 14th April and ive booked tickets to take my boys to the Dundee Utd v Falkirk game on the 14th and I was just wondering if anybody in here will be going and would like to meet up for a beer before the game or at half time or after the game or all 3?? :drunk-emoji::drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

The damage from the start of March is begining to emerge from the melting drifts as hundreds of dead sheep are discovered in the hilly areas of the borders and central Scotland. These hardy Blackface sheep are always left to fend for themselves on the hill and normally can survive most storms but  I belive the depth of drifts is the worst seen for decades.

Up here  its the lack of grass growth and cold soils for sowing crops that is  the worst worry. Even if it warms up in a week it will be  several weeks before there is enough .grass to sustain grazing animals. The feed reps all have smiles on their faces. Currently bright and 4c and snowy looking cloud coming in from the NE across the Firth so no spring warmth yet.

There are lots of sheep in fields still on the Black Isle, most I guess will head north and west soon. But they're finding something to nibble at, so is the grass doing better than by you, or are they being fed extra that I'm not seeing and wasting their teeth on the fields?

Posted
17 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

There are lots of sheep in fields still on the Black Isle, most I guess will head north and west soon. But they're finding something to nibble at, so is the grass doing better than by you, or are they being fed extra that I'm not seeing and wasting their teeth on the fields?

Well here we are giving them swedes every day  and they are  eating them very quickly and without them they would looking to escape over fences/dykes to get food. Its the same with the  reared pheasants  from last year which are coming up to the steading to scratch in the emptying straw sheds

Yes there are very small bits of grass to nibble at but there is definitely not enough to sustain them yet and they will be consuming fat reserves built up on  the late summer/ autumn grass. Not everyone feeds  extra to wintering sheep. Add the thousands of geese  here dropping into nearly all the grass/winter cropfields and any  tiny green blade is rapidly consumed.

All we are doing is keeping their body condition up so when they  go back on the hill in Skye  next week they can live for a month on reserves until proper grass comes in May. Part of our wintering contract is to feed them when the grass is finished  usually  late Janury with hay and swedes  until the 1st April We have a very short growing season here.

A lot of land on the Black Isle will be better grades(Grade 2 /Grade3i ) than over here  (Grade 3ii )so that will help too freer draining will warm up quicker so growth should be earlier.

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, More Snow said:

Totally off topic this one. me and the family are going to Dundee for a few nights 13th and 14th April and ive booked tickets to take my boys to the Dundee Utd v Falkirk game on the 14th and I was just wondering if anybody in here will be going and would like to meet up for a beer before the game or at half time or after the game or all 3?? :drunk-emoji::drunk-emoji:

Game's liable to be called off for SNAW!!!:yahoo: if you go near it :D

Morning all, lovely white stuff falling from the sky here right now and settling. hope you lot all have a lovely Easter weekend.

Posted

Wee covering of snow here this morning. It's generally been a nice week, lots of frosts, some sunshine but still plenty layers needed. A memorable aurora display above the hills to our NE last Friday evening, hypnotic stuff 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

So, Mair white stuff for some folks again and it looked as if we may even see some of it in Skye! That'll give the touroids something else to whinge about. Trying to get the shop open in the car park during the week and despite the fact that there are big notices printed in red that say CLOSED, opening on Friday at 10am they're still trying to get in! 'Can I not just come in for a look' sez one? No, sez I clambering over boxes that are almost piled to the ceiling. ' Does it look like this shop is ready for customers? ' But I've come all this way to see the castle' etc etc. Heard it all before. They seriously do think that we'll open up especially for them! Aye well, good luck to my fellow workers who have to deal with them all today, my turn on Saturday and Sunday! I'll get my big whip out and get 'em in line! :girl_devil: Mibbes the cauld weather will put them off ....... Sez she hopefully! ❄⛄:cold::diablo:

• Like 3

Posted

3C at the moment with quite frequent showers of rain/sleet/hail with brief glimpses of sunshine between them.  Wind light.

Not the most inspiring day to go Easter Egg hunting at one of the NTS properties.  Will inspire the kids to go to the opening day of the indoor Grampian Transport Museum instead...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
4 hours ago, 101_North said:

Game's liable to be called off for SNAW!!!:yahoo: if you go near it :D

At least United won't lose for a change?

Crappy day here. 3C with cold rain and bits of thawing refrozen rain (I think?) mixed in. Cold ENE wind too off the North Sea.

Posted

Cloud breaking with a bit of sun coming through. Around 6c according to the car. Looking dry here for the weekend. Met Office automated symbols are showing heavy snow for me overnight Monday into Tuesday. I am sure that will chop and change between now and then however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Everything here today so far, except sunshine. I've seen wet snow, rain, sleet, graupel, wet graupel all within the space of minutes. A thoroughly nasty day. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It was just an average crappy autumnal day until a few minutes ago - now we have a heavy wintry shower with a right mix of sleet, hail and rain. Go away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Yesterday......kicking back in the sunshine on the Fife Coastal Path. Today.....it's gone white outside. Heavy snow here for the last 40 mins or so and only 0.9C.

P1180988.jpg

P1180921.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Well we've decided to ignore the cold and dank weather and take the kids camping on Saturday anyway. Have booked a night at Pillars of Hercules near Falkland (groovy name, its an organic farm and campsite). Wood for campfire - tick, 4 season sleeping bag for Mr Snow idea - tick (he sleeps in the roof if our bijou van while me and the kids squash together downstairs, tight but toasty). Real ale - tick, Edinburgh gin (rhubarb and ginger) - tick. Just need to make some soup, pack the van and find my wellies. Yipee.  Photo below van on Skye in warmer times.

FB_IMG_1520789738237.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Steady sleet here now with wet snow in heavier bursts. Temp dropped a degree to 1.9C.

Posted

Miserable :cold:

Going to have to hit the beers.

• Like 1