Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Snowing nicely in killearn (brothers house)

323431A6-1ED0-49EB-BEFF-2D7297899279.jpeg

Edited by c00ps

Hold it...hold it...we have a COVERING. Looks very wet but grass, cars and even the driveway are plastered in a layer of snaw (© More Snow) . Pity its due to warm up overnight as it'd be nice to see it in the morning, when I can actallly see more than a few feet. 

4 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Hold it...hold it...we have a COVERING. Looks very wet but grass, cars and even the driveway are plastered in a layer of snaw (© More Snow) . Pity its due to warm up overnight as it'd be nice to see it in the morning, when I can actallly see more than a few feet. 

Get out in it and have a run about. it feels amazing so it does. the kids even came out in there pj's to join in. 

After a day of hail, freezing rain, driving rain, near flooding we have a covering, just, look pretty as the snaw fell, but will be lethal the morra.

Has been lashing with rain since 4pm and downright stormy outside - but not a flake of snow to be seen, indeed temperature has risen outside to 2.1C after hitting a low of 1.5C earlier this evening.

Don't think you would need to go much further west though to get some of the white stuff. Pitlochry is looking rather picturesque at the moment.

Snaw here too and sticking. Sharing the joy with @More Snow as this is our first snow in new house. Looking at radar I think that's it and its not much, but still so lovely to see! 🤩

48362337_2514666108574320_222575478840492032_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Snaw here too and sticking. Sharing the joy with @More Snow as this is our first snow in new house. Looking at radar I think that's it and its not much, but still so lovely to see! 🤩

48362337_2514666108574320_222575478840492032_n.jpg

yeah think we are done here too, although sky still looks angry.

Hey all, just back from a trip out to enjoy the snow here.  Very very wet and slushy in town, but go up to Broxden and it was really rather heavy with the buses having a hard time getting through.  Just as a warning though, if any of this freezes overnight then the pavements and roads are going to absolutely lethal in the morning, so be careful if you're out and about first thing! 

Tim

Foul, foul night.  Blowing cold rain and howling wind.

2 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

It's been a peculiar and memorable day of weather 🙂

P1020082.jpg

Looks very festive. Free Christmas decoration, don't even need to put it up.  😂

Missed all the fun here, have to say this was one of the biggest let downs from an amber warning i've ever seen.Nothing more than rain at lower levels through the central belt.Fair enough higher levels got some snow but an amber warning over such a big area clearly wasn't needed, even a yellow warning is pushing it where i am.

Edited by Ross90

Bitterly cold all day today, it rained for a while then the ground froze, it was strangely crispy underfoot but still wet, eventually the white stuff arrived it was so good to see the snaw again I love it.

A few pics from my Dashcam's.

Kelty.thumb.JPG.a88824329a426cb2fea97e2236943ae3.JPG435378508_Kelty2.thumb.JPG.fa1942a7ef8d1dadf7d240860f7d429d.JPGKingseat.thumb.JPG.e0c60a2ff67369aa9715a554f49bd1b6.JPG

6 hours ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Where are you getting the info as it’s looking like rain only in Edinburgh ☔

It did indeed snow for about an hour between 19.30 and 20.30. Even started settling on the cars parked outside. 

Ground temperatures were low enough all day, all we needed was for the 850hpa temps to fall to zero and this was predicted to happen around 7-8 o'clock this evening.  

Big fat juicy white flakes, we may yet wake to a white dusting rather than a slushy mesh.

IMG_20181216_000610.thumb.jpg.b2ccd8beb9586723cba986f72bdb0ee2.jpg

Edited by Cheggers

Heavy hail shower there on the walk home from my 'pish amber warning' visit to the pub! Whoopie! 🤣😂

Edited by 101_North

A decent wee dump of the snaw once it got going after dark. Horrible 'wintry mix' until then. 3" level and still going. Couple of snaps from Comrie and a wee festive one from Crieff. 

IMG_20181215_2323198.jpg

IMG_20181215_2323053.jpg

IMG-20181215-WA0000.jpg

Rather surprised to look out the window to see a half inch blanket that's accumulated in the last wee while. Plenty precipitation through out the evening but it just took too long to turn. Likely be gone by the morning as the temp begins to gradually rise overnight. Expected a little bit more being at 200m asl within the amber warning for snow but can't win them all. Certainly more promising looking forward by the looks of it. 

Enjoyed the disco snow posts👆 A totty wee cover here, late October was more generous. Nice seeing many saw more action. Power went out for a bit earlier, being prized away from technology for a bit is always a welcomed gift 

Yesterday turned out as expected in my opinion. When The met office started to mention freezing rain then any accumulated snow would be a bonus. It snowed quite heavily early in the morning leaving a covering on most surfaces. I wasn't able to measure until late last night with up to a cm of frozen slush. Nothing spectacular but at least it's a start. With frontal snowfalls you can be sure of how much snow you'll get - if any at all as there've been a number of occasions when a promising forecast delivers nothing. When you end up on the right side in a marginal set-up then it can be snow galore though frustratingly often the snow disappears as wifely as it arrives - it'd be nice to have a few days of crisp winter sunshine following the snow instead of the mist and murk of the thaw. 

I'm not sure how much freezing rain fell yesterday - all I can say is that the rain did sound a little like a hail at times. I can't think of too much freezing rain events - I remember some rain which later froze in late November 2012 and Christmas Day 2010 was the most notable example of rain falling with temperstures below freezing at the surface. Thankfully, yesterday appears to have turned out like a proper ice storm though still very treacherous nonetheless.

Lovely bright morning and although only 2C at 9am it didn't feel cold at all. Wind has really died down again but sadly almost all of the snow from last night has thawed as expected. Here's the best I can do, taken from our back garden looking further up the hill. 

IMG_20181216_095942.thumb.jpg.d94aed21f41bfae48cf8fbf2f65ba0b9.jpg

IMG_20181216_095916.thumb.jpg.2d205be5ed09818fc338c935c083fe78.jpgAngst in the model thread first thing this morning as the chances of a flurry or two over Xmas seem to have receded. We'll see, plenty of time yet for that to change, especially for us.