Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Evening all! I've been busy moving house and dealing with work and the umpteen school related christmas shenanigans to follow the weather the past week or two, so this has caught me unawares until now. 😄

@Kirkcaldy Weather - looking at the above am I right to assume this will be a later afternoon thing tomorrow? ie if I wanted to get some shopping done I'd be better off first thing?

My time with freezing rain was not as bad as it might have been. As I approached the disaster zone (somewhere on the A44) I could see a Hilux sliding diagonally, slowly across the road ahead. Hmm, doesn't look good. By the time I fell off, I'd slowed to about 30mph and the was no major damage - scratched mirrors and levers, bruised knees on the cylinder heads as usual (CX500, thanks OEH 591W).

Even with winter tyres on the car tomorrow, I will only be going out on foot.  Or take my (pedal-powered) bike into the woods.

I still can't see it with the uppers so mild.

@Kirkcaldy Weather - posting those charts is appreciated, makes life so much easier for lazy sods like me!

Cocteau Twins this evening with Ms HC out being sociable. Blue Bell Knoll - a favourites from late 80s. Amazing soundscape.

Edited by Hairy Celt

22 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather - looking at the above am I right to assume this will be a later afternoon thing tomorrow? ie if I wanted to get some shopping done I'd be better off first thing?

Yes it looks like there will be a front which will cross the country through tomorrow morning which could give a flurry / snow shower just about anywhere and then the low and its associated fronts will move in from lunchtime onwards estimate from me for the arrival of the low/fronts would be around 12/1pm in the west moving east through the rest of the day / evening 😀

Untitled.thumb.png.5381af2c6cafd96e37efbf00a732eb2a.png

fax.thumb.png.8ccb3d05418879779a392dee7d104a98.png

20 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather - posting those charts is appreciated, makes life so much easier for lazy sods like me!

no worries I enjoy posting these kinds of charts especially when snow is involved ❄️ 🌨️

current conditions here 

Temp 2.9 C Dew Point -1.5 C pressure 1017.71 hPa Falling Rapidly

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather

Really wild out there today with a gale force SE wind and currently 2c so stunning . Cattle very happy to be inside. Dust flying around. RH 34%

A day for feeding cattle only and then into house to do end of year paperwork if electricity does not go off as its flickering quite a bit.

Edited by Northernlights

8 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather - posting those charts is appreciated, mkes life so much easier for lazy sods like me!

Cocteau Twins this evening with Ms HC out being sociable. Blue Bell Knoll - a favourites from late 80s. Amazing soundscape.

I like the Cocteau Twins myself! Garlands being a personal favourite. Ever listen to 'Lowlife' the band the bassist Will Heggie formed when he left the Twins? Brilliant band. Different sound but one of my favourite Scottish bands.

Frost free, still and cloudy this morning. Temp still dropping - about 2c at the minute. Curious what later brings.

Light flurries here in Barrhead, Glasgow.

Ps: The birds are flying in the southerly direction 🤗 could be a good day. 🖒

Edited by Aaki Khan
Add on

Cloudy, very breezy, no idea of outside temp as I've never replaced the weather station since we moved. Bare ground looking surprisingly dry like Northernlights said. 

No idea what the weather will bring here later. Despite the temp forecast to be low enough for snow, every forecast has me getting rain (despite being in the yellow warning area). Probably nothing here until after dark though, so I'll be curtain twitching to peer out into the murky darkness (like @More Snowthere's no street lights here). 

Edited by Ravelin

wind is picking up cold outside and cloud cover increasing, im so excited..Snaw is coming..

Radar says it’s snowing but it’s raining. Most of the snow showing on the forecast for here when I looked last night has now been changed to rain. Been a tiny dusting of snow on pavement overnight. 

10 minutes ago, Ceitidh said:

Radar says it’s snowing but it’s raining. Most of the snow showing on the forecast for here when I looked last night has now been changed to rain. Been a tiny dusting of snow on pavement overnight. 

Have faith. The heavier stuff is on route. Id say around midday we could be seeing some decent falls around here. Fingers crossed 🤗

First noticeable light ppn of the day here and it's rain 🤣

Had a wee flurry of snaw, then freezing rain, sounded like heavy hail, but could not see anything just hear it.

2 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Had a wee flurry of snaw, then freezing rain, sounded like heavy hail, but could not see anything just hear it.

Yep same here, very strange! People walking are avoiding the pavements already but we are back to hail now. 

Morning all! After a very blustery but dry day yesterday we are back to rain and murk. It was a bitter wind yesterday but this morning is relatively calm. Temp has dropped 2 degrees in the last half hour, now down to 9.8c, a bit warmer than I expected to be honest. Not going to be a pleasant day so it'll be indoors for me today.

Light snow flurry now. First flakes of the season.

5 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Amber warning for snow Edinburgh and central belt 

5-10cm over 100m. You'll do OK in Penicuik I'd have thought.

5 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Amber warning for snow Edinburgh and central belt 

High ground to the south and high ground to the north of the Central belt really under the warnings. Pretty rough drawing of the Amber area given Hamilton is included in it but livingston and East Kilbride aren't quite. Key message is probably anywhere over 100m could see a dump of snow after the freezing rain. 

6 degrees on the east coast but bitter wind.   Won’t see any wintry stuff today but fingers crossed might see some next Saturday ( taking kids to Lapland for day ).  

7 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Not Edinburgh...probs a good sign.

Screenshot_20181215-102631_Samsung Internet.jpg

I remain hopefull of seeing something at 140m but previous experience of these setups still suggests more 'naw' than 'snaw'!