Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Sending you wee pink vibes ciel that everything turns out ok. Which it usually does anyway! xx

6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

With today threatening 16, maybe 17C, up on the Moray Firth, Northernlights might even be out sunbathing!☀️

Yes fabulous windy drying day.Taking off stones on fresh ploughing in dusty conditions. Turned cows and calves into a fresh grass field  (which has been stock free for a month ) with a couple of inches of new grass to allow old grass field to be ploughed in. Quite remarkable for November but next week is looking more seasonal. but still mostly dry. Currently 14c.

1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Yes fabulous windy drying day.Taking off stones on fresh ploughing in dusty conditions. Turned cows and calves into a fresh grass field  (which has been stock free for a month ) with a couple of inches of new grass to allow old grass field to be ploughed in. Quite remarkable for November but next week is looking more seasonal. but still mostly dry. Currently 14c.

From the other end of the country (still)… Damp and windy till early afternoon, then suddenly becalmed and heavy rain started.  Not really a drying day!  We topped at 13C though. Downwards slowly now perhaps.

This was from a couple of days ago, just before sunset. I should get back into the habit of pointing the camera up sometimes.  sunset.thumb.jpg.e2f404110895446f7b4fe32945a3ee56.jpg

cant actually work out the MT now.... is the hunt for cold the main thread.... there also appears to be a short term one that only knocker posts in.... all very confusing

turning seasonal next week which is nice as hopefully firm up all the paths as we got a pup a few weeks ago and walks start next week as he is allowed out

slight problem may be he is a boston terrier and apparently not hugely fond of the cold 

5 hours ago, More Snow said:

Stay out of the mad house i repeat stay out of the mad house.. the gfs is stonking no wait it has backtracked toward the ECM no it hasn't oh yes it has, no cold pool to tap into, nope its a thing of beauty, its an outlier i tell you. no its just leading the way..Bonkers its all gone Bonkers 😂😂😂

Which is why us located north of the border are much more relaxed. For us it's usually a case of "oh well, if it doesn't snow this time we'll get another go later", cos it usually will. The southerners are so used to snow being a relative rarity that they get stressed over the most marginal of situations. 

I mean, I've already seen snow both falling and lying this 'winter' (autumn really), albeit the latter was at around 400m and wet. 

At this stage its pretty much odds on to be noticeably colder by this time next week, but snow... maybe for a lucky few but we ain't likely to see anything significantly exciting unless one of the more extreme model runs of late actually verifies for once. 

17.6C Kinlochewe Highland yesterday, could go higher tomorrow. -1.5C overnight Aboyne Grampian 

Despite no rain, today is foul with very low cloud and a strong wind. Dampness and buffeting at 11C. Deary me cheer up HC! 

Looking kinda chilly going forward.

t850Midlothian.png

Aperitifs fae the east already.

ecmt850.120.png

Mibbie time tae think aboot puttin oan the winter rubber.

Edited by scottish skier

17 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Looking kinda chilly going forward.

t850Midlothian.png

Aperitifs fae the east already.

ecmt850.120.png

Mibbie time tae think aboot puttin oan the winter rubber.

Aa'll weatha' te'ars oan noo.  ( jist efter a wee keek a' the hereaboots) :oldgrin:

Well that's winter over... 2 weeks before it's even begun over in the nut house thread. I've been ducking the toys all afternoon in there. It never suprises me in there when one set of runs fails to show nation wide 2ft of Snaw. When will they ever learn?? 

33 minutes ago, More Snow said:

When will they ever learn??

You know the answer to that. 

Started off the day here having to scrape my car windscreen, 2C at my house at 7.30am despite it being around 15C when I drove home the night before. Lowest I noticed on my commute was - 1C this morning, about 10C this afternoon. 

That's me got all-season tyres both front and rear now, pity we're not going to have a winter then (courtesy of some in MOD thread), as I could have saved myself some dosh. 

@More Snow, are you heading back to same house/area as last year then? Bet the kids are stoked at the prospect of another winter in Scotland, and plenty of 'snow days' off school. 

24 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

You know the answer to that. 

Started off the day here having to scrape my car windscreen, 2C at my house at 7.30am despite it being around 15C when I drove home the night before. Lowest I noticed on my commute was - 1C this morning, about 10C this afternoon. 

That's me got all-season tyres both front and rear now, pity we're not going to have a winter then (courtesy of some in MOD thread), as I could have saved myself some dosh. 

@More Snow, are you heading back to same house/area as last year then? Bet the kids are stoked at the prospect of another winter in Scotland, and plenty of 'snow days' off school. 

Hi @Ravelin no sadly the house we left has been rented out to some folk from London, but we have found a really nice place about 5 miles west of Crieff and hoping that with 100m asl will still stand us in a good spot for the winter months. it was a really bad moment of madness that led us away from Aberdeenshire. but as they say nothing ventured nothing gained, and its been an experience. not one i would want to repeat tho, nothing against Cornwall in any way, just the house and the landlord have been so so bad that we just cannot wait to get back to the place we can call home. we drive up to Motherwell on the 30th and stay over night in the premier inn there and then its off to the new gaff the next morning.

@More Snowyou should do well enough there I'd think, nice and central and nessled in the hills. Good luck with the move. Cornwall is nice to visit but I'd not like to live there. 

@Ravelin thank you, and as you say nice to visit but not for a long period, 13 sleeps and counting, boxes all over the place never moving again after this unless a nice big house pops up in Wanlockhead of course.😂😂😂😂😂

Back home after a quick 4 day tour of Scotland...didn't want to come back to the boring Borders 🙄

20181115_112838.thumb.jpg.00af81db90da21a75fc86d071dc0318f.jpg20181113_125443.thumb.jpg.8a57bf390c8f7f0f6dd8cef5b7c64f52.jpg20181115_130355.thumb.jpg.578f27ade370e11b76cf4c68c5b2d76f.jpg20181114_135817.thumb.jpg.48160f86729acd0fd44250b76a17e067.jpg20181113_102649.thumb.jpg.4f51f813317fe98ba1e13045ac6dd23a.jpg20181116_100304.thumb.jpg.0109b67beb754c4c4521d041de449ab9.jpg

I hardly took any pics due to the weather, it rained most of the time but who cares?

Cooling down, starting at 3c with a ground frost this morning followed by clear blue skies and sunshine. Currently 8c. Going to feel more seasonal this week but if it stays dry another week for cows and calves  to stay out preserving stocks of  straw and silage for later in the winter.

Just a quick non weather related question. my 2 boys have just asked when we move up to Perth and Kinross what will be the nearest big football team that i can take them to go see. we did Dundee Utd last season and they really loved it. we are a West Ham house here apart from one Man City glory hunter. so they have seen a few games in different places but the idea is to pick a Scottish team and follow them home and away and see how many different stadiums we can visit. 

24 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Just a quick non weather related question. my 2 boys have just asked when we move up to Perth and Kinross what will be the nearest big football team that i can take them to go see. we did Dundee Utd last season and they really loved it. we are a West Ham house here apart from one Man City glory hunter. so they have seen a few games in different places but the idea is to pick a Scottish team and follow them home and away and see how many different stadiums we can visit. 

That would be The Saints (St Johnstone - play from Perth). I'm not a footie follower so I wouldn't presume to comment on them as a team though the other half goes to the odd home game. 

Afternoon all, 

Was in Seville and Cordoba last weekend and very thankful it wasn’t mid-summer, being a couple of European hotspots! Lovely cities though had to smile at the locals wearing winter jackets and scarves when the temperature was still in the high teens! It’s all relative I guess! 😊

Walked along to Arbroath this afternoon, grey and dreary on the coast and cool at 9c. Hopefully the sun will come out tomorrow!

1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

Walked along to Arbroath this afternoon, grey and dreary on the coast and cool at 9c.

Pretty much the same in inland Aberdeenshire. Never saw the sun all day, but strangely I'm sitting looking out at the moon now. Well on and off as clouds pass in front of it. 

1 hour ago, More Snow said:

As over the rainbow pointed out, St Johnstone are from Perth and their ground is by Crieff Road in Perth I think so easy to get to. Small club with small crowds though, but have been doing fairly well recently and have been in the Premier League for over a decade now I think. Dundee United are much the bigger club but are in the championship for the second season running which is pretty disastrous for them. There's also Dundee who are also a bigger club than St Johnstone, but they're bottom of the league and headed to the same division their neighbours are in.

@Hawesy Seville is one of the top of my go-to places. I find Spain, with its history and various landscapes, a very interesting country to visit. 

Probably not in high summer or for main holiday though. 

@Ravelin 

Looking out for the moon and Leonid showers, but still misty/cloudy here.

Apropos nothing really, but a rodent has gnawed through the water pipe connecting the dish-washer to the water supply and the kitchen now is in a state of chaos. :oldlaugh: A tenuous connection to the weather, but it is at this time of year that house mice do what their name indicates. Doggie has been making numerous "air" pounces along the kitchen skirting board.

Hopefully a plumber will sort things come Monday.🤞

6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Cooling down, starting at 3c with a ground frost this morning followed by clear blue skies and sunshine. Currently 8c. Going to feel more seasonal this week but if it stays dry another week for cows and calves  to stay out preserving stocks of  straw and silage for later in the winter.

Young Mr Northernlights practising his ploughing skills today in perfect weather. 20181117_150254.thumb.jpg.40ef3200fd1a4eef93b9a525ba93453a.jpgCows at neeps to the left

Edited by Northernlights