Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Rain from the SSW just on here. That's it for 2-3 hours. Staying indoors.

Any signs of decent cold coming anytime soon kilties?

Depends on how you define soon. Not much chance in the next week, but after that possibly. Likely to be high pressure over or around us so possibly dry and cold, after that is a developing situation but plenty of signs of something 'tasty'. At that range though it could easily turn out to be nothing.

much excitement over in the nut house. even seen a boom chart posted yesterday. looks like a cool down is on the cards toward the end of the month, but will it lead to snaw for my home coming in 18 sleeps??

Islay reporting... that broadband here is poor - can't give you a number but to download anything on iplayer takes hours.

Friday was seriously windy in the afternoon, nearly got blown off the hill. Crikey, etc.

Then the weekend was sort of nothingy, which was fine for work, and it looks ok for tomorrow and the outlook gets better. There, jinxed it.

NL, you would be having kittens if you had the geese they have here, as well as huge numbers of swans that are apparently even more destructive. Huge controversy about whether to encourage them, cull them, discourage them, wrap them in woolly blankets, etc. Breeding success is definitely out of our control so what can we really do that's going to be effective?

40 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Islay reporting... that broadband here is poor - can't give you a number but to download anything on iplayer takes hours.

Friday was seriously windy in the afternoon, nearly got blown off the hill. Crikey, etc.

Then the weekend was sort of nothingy, which was fine for work, and it looks ok for tomorrow and the outlook gets better. There, jinxed it.

NL, you would be having kittens if you had the geese they have here, as well as huge numbers of swans that are apparently even more destructive. Huge controversy about whether to encourage them, cull them, discourage them, wrap them in woolly blankets, etc. Breeding success is definitely out of our control so what can we really do that's going to be effective?

Have to say we have had another fine day here.Winter ploughing progressing and cales thriving in the sun.

Speaking to a local gamekeeper last week and we were both said the countryside and wildlife  no longer resembles the one we knew as kids.with masses of geese in the autumn,masses of badgers all year round wiping out all the ground living wildlife and he has even shot 7 Red deer in the last year in woods at under 500 feet above sea level only 3 miles as the crow flies away from us.  Spent all day chasing geese off 18 acres of young grass we are trying to keep for the wintering sheep over Christmas and New Year.

1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Ah, Islay...a single malt I can spell!😁

25 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Ah, Islay...a single malt I can spell!😁

Bunnamhealaddibeulinoman?

Aye, mornin' all frae Dreichsville. Currently 8.9c, damp and dreary wi' it. Looks like a nice cool,crisp fresh week of weather on the cards from Friday. Could this be the start of the 3 months of snow, ice etc promised annually by the express/mirror and other equally crappy litter tray liners?  😁🤨

Edited by mistyqueen

47 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Aye, mornin' all frae Dreichsville. Currently 8.9c, damp and dreary wi' it. Looks like a nice cool,crisp fresh week of weather on the cards from Friday. Could this be the start of the 3 months of snow, ice etc promised annually by the express/mirror and other equally crappy litter tray liners?  😁🤨

You mean you let your cats read while they're crapping? 

Anyhoo, damp start on islay too but now clearing from the west. 

Just got stuka'd by some bloody geese... 

"a low key" yellow warning for rain from Met Office for Weds. 

"Periods of rain are expected across southwestern Scotland on Wednesday morning, and some of this will be heavy. Drier weather will spread northeast in the afternoon. Accumulations of 20 to 30 mm are expected in places, locally 40 to 50 mm on high ground."

Is this a reflection of how the ground is after recent rain perhaps?

1311mowarnrain.png

1311wedsraintot.png

23 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

We're on holiday this week staying at Inveruglas on Loch Lomond with no broadband and only very patchy mobile reception so you're probs faster than us.

We've been up to Fort William and onto Glenfinnan today, Loch Tay and Aberfeldy tomorrow. The weather was not bad today, rain this morning and sunshine & showers this afternoon. Pics to follow at some point.

The charts look pretty epic at ten days onwards, if they verify we could be looking at an early blast of winter. If.

Pouring down all the way into the city today.  And everyone jumping in their cars as a result = car nage.

Yesterday was a beautiful day of sunshine, light winds and a max of 11C.

So far today is just the opposite - grey, wet, breezy and feeling cool even though the thermometer reads 9C.

Looks like a cool down from next week - grey and cold for here most likely, cannot wait  :closedeyes:

Oh, and may I be first to say winter is over (not bad seeing as its still technically autumn) - already got the first Narcissus coming into bloom in the garden....

Snag_6c17ff.thumb.png.cc462ae8d409e12218fa4594e39c6859.png

16 sleeps till im back home and in the land of the snaw... ive got a good feeling that this winter is going to be even better than last winter. i can see some epic snaw falling on many of us. no science behind it just my gut instinct or is that the curry?? 

In the end the day turned out okay, dry after the early rain and very mild in the afternoon with a max temperature of 14C. Good going as the sun never really made an appearance.

Lovely sunset accompanied by the usual skeins of geese heading home for the evening.

Snag_a994b8.thumb.png.a66792b0c7d0c0636f6d24f7b319ad94.png

Edited by Quinach

More Snow, we had the snowiest winter in years when you were up here. You better come back!!

With today threatening 16, maybe 17C, up on the Moray Firth, Northernlights might even be out sunbathing!☀️

3 hours ago, mardatha said:

More Snow, we had the snowiest winter in years when you were up here. You better come back!!

15 sleeps till the i return with the Snow family.. im coming back no doubt about that. and looking at some of the charts the last couple of days i could be home just in time.:cold-emoji::cold-emoji::cold-emoji::cold-emoji:

Hi everyone!

I don't think I have been on here since we last had snow. Lets hope it's another great winter with plenty of snow! 🙂 

Greetings from a very mild and blustery Skye! I just had a wee peep in the model output. Oh Dear, honestly, maybe they've been reading the cat litter tray liners again! 😄😹 Some are just about looking out the snowshoes and I forsee some sulking if we don't get 8 feet of snow! Yes, it will be colder, but really, loads of snaw? Nah!

44 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Greetings from a very mild and blustery Skye! I just had a wee peep in the model output. Oh Dear, honestly, maybe they've been reading the cat litter tray liners again! 😄😹 Some are just about looking out the snowshoes and I forsee some sulking if we don't get 8 feet of snow! Yes, it will be colder, but really, loads of snaw? Nah!

Hi MQ...

Looks like Saturday could be quite good, up there in God's Country?

Netweather GFS Image

Stay out of the mad house i repeat stay out of the mad house.. the gfs is stonking no wait it has backtracked toward the ECM no it hasn't oh yes it has, no cold pool to tap into, nope its a thing of beauty, its an outlier i tell you. no its just leading the way..Bonkers its all gone Bonkers 😂😂😂

A fine morning and early afternoon in these parts  - with nice altostratus skyscapes - reaching 16C en route Brechin to Dundee.

But it was a quite disrupted and unexpected "medical" day. :oldmellow:  GP phoned 9am to advise that according to records, I had not received a shingles jab - off to health centre for that, followed by an urgent appt with the optometrist, then a referral to and a depressing afternoon and diagnosis at Ninewells eye OP department.

Overcast and much cooler at sundown.

Onwards and upwards, as they say.