Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

14 hours ago, ciel said:

LOL M.

Had an email from Eurotunnel today advising and quoting DEFRA  - you need to take your pet and pet passport to the vet four months before planning to travel to France after 31 March. 

Needless to say, next year's main holiday is on hold.

Edit:  forgot about myself as a member of a potential outsider nation and what arrangements I may need to make. What a shambles.

Lol. We must all stand on our own 2 feet. Or 4 feet. Or shoot ourselves into the foot. Glad the only pet I take abroad only has 2 legs... 

Islay showing its other face today - sunny and breezy. A hat and gloves day. Never seen so many swans. Phenomenomenal. 

Fabulous day again ,dusty underfoot ,slight ground frost this morning, and breezy. Dung spread and ploughed in, cows and calve sunbathing .

Maybe nothing but all the masses of holly berries seem to have been stripped in the past few days so Xmas is going to be a bit dull.Not usual for them to be taken so early!!. Natures forward forecast?,

1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Maybe nothing but all the masses of holly berries seem to have been stripped in the past few days so Xmas is going to be a bit dull.Not usual for them to be taken so early!!. Natures forward forecast?,

Could be?  There was a large flock of Redwings at Balgavies Loch this afternoon gorging on berries - and it was recorded in the log that a small flock of Waxwings had been around earlier in the day.

Light frost and good sunny intervals here this morning gradually turning grey and dark over the afternoon with the odd spot of rain. Temp around 8-9C

Sat in bed one Sunday morning a couple of weeks ago and watched a massive flock of redwings strip the rowan trees in our garden. They left the Holly out front alone but I noticed a couple of days ago that the Holly is now bare of berries too, and it'd been plastered in them for weeks. 

Hopefully a portent of what's to come, but I'm a sceptic in that regard. How could nature know what the weather will bring weeks later? Then again, there's a lot we still don't understand about the planet we live on. 

Been an varied week of weather, but largely unremarkable. Foggy going over the top of the hill the other day, disconcertingly so. Very wet another. Had to scrape frozen rain off the car this morning. Windy at times too. As I said, varied. 

Edited by Ravelin

Morning folks, another gloomy stormy day down here in the south west of the uk. 21 sleeps until i return to be with you all again, cant wait to get back. i see the fun and games are already starting over in the nut house, its a sinker no wait its going toward iceland or is it greenland bound, downgrade upgrade, eps gfs different but not to bad, jma to the rescue, the meto update is poor and all manner of stuff. well after the 1st of December it can snaw as much as it wants coz i will be warm and cozy with my underfloor heating and sauna. come on the SNAW!!!

Edited by Guest
spelling

Another breezy morning on islay, could get a bit more interesting later. 

Could the snow hold off till next month please? Could do with being able to see the ground for another couple of weeks... ah, hang on, the locals say it never snows here! Wowee, that can't be right... 

Bloody windy up this hill anyway! Horrible vile awful night out there, rain battering on the windows so bad the husband had to turn up the telly.

Pouring here but wind's nothing seems to have died a death since this rain attacked

Yet another murky day, though dry until this evening.

Very windy now though with some powerful gusts which are bringing down some branches onto the roads round here.

Not a cold day though, max of 10C.

Talk of some drier weather in the weeks ahead, hope so as the grass is now squelching under foot and moss is appearing everywhere (note to self, apply the moss killer later in the year in 2019)! 

2 hours ago, mardatha said:

Bloody windy up this hill anyway! Horrible vile awful night out there, rain battering on the windows so bad the husband had to turn up the telly.

Pouring windy rain. Fire on. YouTube activated at our stunning broadband speed of 7mbps.....

Rain really rattling off the lounge window now. 

Shugee appaerntly we're getting fast broadband here within the next month or two... the excitement builds! 🤩

Well that was some day yesterday, took a real hammering down here in the south west, garden wall has collapsed and porch has flooded out from the roof, lots for the landlord to fix, only 20 sleeps now till i return, and yes im gonna count you down each day. i just been in the mad house and Shannon Entropy has reared her ugly head already. its gonna be a long old season in there i feel. have a great weekend everybody.

I digress from weather topics, but:

@shuggee

I'm not at all savvy about techie internet stuff, but my download speed is 0.36mb/s.:nonono:Makes any streaming nigh on impossible or irritating at best.

@mardatha

Wait until you see it before you believe it. Must be around four months ago I received an email from BT advising that "superfast" broadband was about to become available here. On enquiring, the BT representatives feigned ignorance of this assertion. Mind you, I live at the terminus of the tel. line - my only internet option, apparently.

Back to the weather. After the rain and gale yesterday evening/early hours, its now quite calm at ground level although the clouds, of various type and levels are moving briskly west to east. Temp 9C, but feeling cooler than that.

Lovely day so far, such a difference from last night. The lounge windows are looking nice and clean this morning after the wind and raid battering off them yesterday. 

Models looking interesting but really it's anyone's call what will happen next weekend onwards. Changing every run. 

4 hours ago, mardatha said:

Shugee appaerntly we're getting fast broadband here within the next month or two... the excitement builds! 🤩

You know how fast your getting? I got near enough 400MB at mine. It's good!

No, just that they were digging up the road here this summer and when I asked why they said broadband. Then I went onto Openreach fibre bb site and it says we are having the last checks done and it will be operational soon. 🤩😍

Edited by mardatha

They're digging up the A701 too! Stop copying @mardatha :oldp:

We're due fttp in mid December up to 1,000mbps. So I'll stop .com plaining then.... And @ciel that's appalling!!

@mardatha & @shuggee

lol - the only digging of the road-side hereabouts is the repairing of flooded joints (and patching potholes).

To be fair, after several conversations, BT did disclose that the Edzell tel exchange was "ready" for fast bb. 🙄

Another fabulous day sunny and breezy.Ground now exceptionally dry  but grass still growing. Started to lift neeps for winter store yesterday in spring like conditions with dust flying . They are an amazing crop probably the best we have had in years in spite of the dry summer with enough heat and rain in the autumn to allow them to recover and keep growing. They will definitely be full of sunshine and the cattle just love them. Currently 7c. Cattle lying in the sun next to south facing dykes all afternoon.

Morning all! Well, we've had a real mix of weather this week, some wind, not awry strong and you, horizontal rain, perpendicular rain, lots of low cloud bringing along dollops of dreichness, and this morning we have blue skies! Current temp 7.8c. I'll hit the send button now and by the time our internet has woken up this message should arrive on the page sometime tomorrow.

I do sympathize with those of you who have slow internet, we suffer the same way in Skye. An FB group was set up a couple of years ago and many meetings have been held with representatives from BT coming along to patronise the peasants the way they only know how. They got a helluva fright when they discovered that the peasants were in fact, intelligent, jaffa cakesed off and very well informed! 😁 The group still harries BT regularly and although only some parts of Skye now have fibre, the rest of us still struggle on with the old copper wiring. I changed my provider last year and although the service isn't any better, it's half the price of BT. I'm investigating a fibre supplier for when my contract runs out, but I'm not holding out much hope that it'll be much of an improvement. ☎📲💻😕🎳

A shower overnight to lay the dust and another dry sunny calm morning starting off at 3c. November so far has been an exceptional month with grass still growing .Had to take dog and chase off about 10000 geese on two 18 acre grass fields this morning. Their numbers are really climbing so big breeding success. Another observation is that next springs bulbs have just broken the surface.

Edited by Northernlights