Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Cracking start to the day.

Clear blue skies, very light winds, and the overnight frost (down to -2C) is clearing rapidly off the grass etc.

Some massive skeins of geese heading NNW passed over us around 8am, as impressive as ever - managed to get one of them on camera.

Snag_157b15.thumb.png.292c269f01b212273ab6e24760051bfe.png

0211scotflood.thumb.png.ca73c7d94ffbef1b2ec8ce321bdd14a8.png     http://media.sepa.org.uk/statements/2018/flood-outlook-friday-2-november/ 

SEPA 

“The areas expected to see the most impacts are Skye and Lochaber, Argyll and Bute, Wester Ross and western areas of Tayside and Central Scotland where travel disruption and flooding affecting properties and communities is possible.  

“Localised flooding of low lying land and roads from small watercourses and travel disruption is also possible in the Western Isles, Easter Ross and Great Glen, Moray, western areas of Dundee and Angus, West Central Scotland, Ayrshire and Arran, Dumfries and Galloway and western areas of the Scottish Borders.

18 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

0211scotflood.thumb.png.ca73c7d94ffbef1b2ec8ce321bdd14a8.png     http://media.sepa.org.uk/statements/2018/flood-outlook-friday-2-november/ 

SEPA 

“The areas expected to see the most impacts are Skye and Lochaber, Argyll and Bute, Wester Ross and western areas of Tayside and Central Scotland where travel disruption and flooding affecting properties and communities is possible.  

“Localised flooding of low lying land and roads from small watercourses and travel disruption is also possible in the Western Isles, Easter Ross and Great Glen, Moray, western areas of Dundee and Angus, West Central Scotland, Ayrshire and Arran, Dumfries and Galloway and western areas of the Scottish Borders.

Yes indeed! Over 2 inches of rain since last night. It's eased off a bit,  so we now have horizontal drizzle! Very mild at 13.8c. Wellies are the order of the day! 👢

Southerly gale all night with odd burst of rain but now windy sunny and drying up fast again at 13c.Rain shadow in full effect.

Evening everyone , thought it was about time I had a wee nosey in on the thread , getting set for our amazing winter weather watch 2018/2019! Actually really looking forward to some cold weather now . 

How is everyone ? 

A gloomy, relatively mild day (13C,) it was, but when I set off at 9am to visit my wee-est g’son  who lives in Border territory, it was calm up here, (ie the washing was dangling limply on the line :oldsmile:).

10 mins down the road, Radio Scotland was giving warnings of traffic restrictions on Scottish bridges due to high winds.

And so, while driving through Fife, I attempted to apply long tested observational methods (from the motorway verges on this occasion) to determine wind speed. 

Force 3

8/12/2014

Gentle Breeze

Leaves, small twigs in constant motion; light flags extended

Force 4

13-18

Moderate Breeze

Dust, leaves and loose paper raised up; small branches move.

Force 5

19-24

Fresh Breeze

Small trees begin to sway

3, 4 and 5 applied. Probably a good-enough and useful guide as to weather conditions for non-professional weather folk.

Very wet overnight but it's been dry here in the daylight hours apart from a few spots of drizzle in the wind.

The latter the main feature of the day with very strong southerly winds all day, that longevity being quite unusual.

Generally overcast with some breaks in the murk allowing sunshine to appear for a few fleeting minutes.

Also very mild with a maximum of 14C, even now its 12C outside - twice the daily maximum temperature for most of the days in the past week!

12 hours ago, snowy owl said:

Evening everyone , thought it was about time I had a wee nosey in on the thread , getting set for our amazing winter weather watch 2018/2019! Actually really looking forward to some cold weather now . 

How is everyone ? 

Waiting for action, it's all a bit of a snoozefest at the moment. How's you?

It's cool, calm and all a bit of nothing here today:

20181104_074732.thumb.jpg.c24f40da39eb47b6ba1c60e6322b0d64.jpg20181104_074835.thumb.jpg.7948799e66dadd63e01daae1576967de.jpg

It has been a fairly quiet few weeks for weather here.

Bit drookit for the fireworks last night - over an inch of rain yesterday. Much milder than of late, too.

Today: calmer, drier, sunnier and still fairly mild. A final tidy-up for the garden methinks. 

IMG_20181103_1903211.jpg

IMG_20181103_1903460.jpg

IMG_20181103_1904278.jpg

IMG_20181103_1904353.jpg

Edited by Polar Gael

Cracking weather today, just right for a walk (and cycle for the kids) round the local trails.

FB_IMG_1541364203589.jpg

Reading last years diary and at this point still had cows and calves out but very muddy and wet. This year is totaly different with dry dusty conditions at turnips giving a very clean pick up. Another windy day today making the ground even dryer. Calves playing in the field with even a small bit of fresh grass to eat and cows lying in sun this afternoon as ground so dry.  If it stays dry this winter then eastern areas of the UK are in for an interesting summer next year. Of course a change in wind direction from southerlies to northerlies would make this area wetter..Currently 8 c and dry.

Really strange brownish tint to the light this morning!

Weekend actually nowhere near as bad as I expected. Yesterday was a really pleasant Autumn day. Fairly mild and mostly sunny after some heavy overnight rain. Bonfire night looking mild. I'd prefer frosty but dry will do.

Enjoy it if you're doing anything tonight 😀

Morning folks. Just 25 days until my return from Cornwall. It's been a wild weekend down here and mild. so mild in fact that I've turned the heating off this morning. Looking forward to the coming winter back in Scotland with you all. And trust me the next time the wife has a so called good idea I shall call the men in white coats..🤪🤪🤪

It's good to try things out and experience them for yourself MS!

Mist is starting to descend be surprised if we don't get any fog tonight 

5 minutes ago, NUT said:

Mist is starting to descend be surprised if we don't get any fog tonight 

Yeah. Misty, moisty and murky all the way from home to Kennacraig - heading for 2 weeks of hyperoceanic autumnal bliss on Islay. Looks rather less busy at the ferry terminal than my last visit at Easter. 

One of those bleurgh days of autumn.

After some heavy rain first thing in the morning, rest of the day was grey and murky with light winds and reasonably mild with a maximum temperature of 10.5C - still mild out just now with a temperature of 8.5C.

Some poor farmers must be getting sick of pink-footed geese in Moray/Banff & Buchan as the skeins heading back this evening towards Montrose Basin (I think...) were again massive - a lot of hungry mouths.

Morning - it's almost that time of the year where us Coldies wake up and recommence posting.

Been a quick year :)  

10 hours ago, GraemeB said:

Morning - it's almost that time of the year where us Coldies wake up and recommence posting.

Been a quick year 🙂

Is the summer really boring then for the cold lovers ?

Not a fan of this weather , Jackets need to be taken off as soon as you step in a building !

It's been raining hard on Islay all night and shows no sign of easing... tum-te-tum, I'm supposed to be out working today!

6 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

It's been raining hard on Islay all night and shows no sign of easing... tum-te-tum, I'm supposed to be out working today!

Still lashing down - although it did pause for an hour while I was indoors - and getting windy. Is this what's called 'proper west coast weather'?

Same here though and I'm nowhere near the west. Pits.

@mardatha Yes, it was today - pits.

Had to go out briefly this afternoon - grey sky - grey hills - grey road - grey light - grey standing water - dark evening. :nonono:

Not even so much of a breeze to blow the cobwebs away.

Looking forward to the next appearance of the SUN.

Sun?? They have that in France I believe, and those hot exotic countries. But not the Scottish Borders ! 😶

5 hours ago, mardatha said:

Sun?? They have that in France I believe, and those hot exotic countries. But not the Scottish Borders ! 😶

LOL M.

Had an email from Eurotunnel today advising and quoting DEFRA  - you need to take your pet and pet passport to the vet four months before planning to travel to France after 31 March. :oldangry:

Needless to say, next year's main holiday is on hold.

Edit:  forgot about myself as a member of a potential outsider nation and what arrangements I may need to make. What a shambles.

Edited by ciel