Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Scraped a good layer of frozen slush off the windscreen thus morning, then proceeded up the toad and over the hill, which had a thin layer of lying snow for the top 100m or so. 0c at the top at 7:30am. 

1C and heavy sleet on and off on the commute home. 

I'd rather it doesn't get any worse for the moment as my alternate, lower, route is closed for roadworks. That's a longer route to start with, the diversion will be massively worse. 

Very cold this morning at -5c.      Coldest October morning for quite a few years.      Its had a real sting in it this cold spell.

Much milder here this morning with showers and a fresh easterly wind off the sea. 8c.

Most amusing automated Met Office update on my phone this morning! Sadly I jumped out of bed in anticipation:

Screenshot_20181030-071946.thumb.jpg.9f2937b94dc00f24f42fe2c55e6cda6c.jpg

Unsurprisingly it wasn't snowing!!

Still a bit of frost but considerably milder than yesterday morning.

1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Much milder here this morning with showers and a fresh easterly wind off the sea. 8c.

Still no wind here and still at 0C this morning. Blue sky.

Temp now up to 3.8c from 0.6c just after 8am. Lovely clear skies, so I reckon it will be outdoor stuff today!

A good 5mm of glaze ice all over the car this morning - heavy freezing rain at -2C. Bugger to get off!

12 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Just a few miles can make quite a difference. I had temps rising from 3.5 to 4.5C with showers at breakfast time with the max not reaching near 8C all day. Now 2.3C.

Edited by Norrance

Bloody heck it made it to 13c here in miserable Cornwall today.. and the sun felt rather warm.. how anybody would spend a winter down here I would never know... oh well removals are booked schools all sorted and now on 31 days before I escape back up to the land of the SNAW... 

Frosty again this evening at -2c. Last of leaves falling in great numbers after last nights -5c in the slightest of breezes today. Felt like a late November day today with more overcast skies.

A showery morning replaced by a workable afternoon with plenty of weak sunshine.

Up to the heady heights of 5.3C this afternoon and already down to -1.2C outside.

Frost works in strange ways, got two Dahlias next to each other in the garden (same variety) - one decimated by the hard frost on Sunday night, the other still in reasonable condition.  Time to get them dug out, earlier than last year (going by the notebook that was November 10th 2017).

Not sure if this has been posted before, if not, a interesting website to whittle away a few minutes in these long dark nights - the recent rain has mostly removed the reds & yellows that were widespread in the summer (soil moisture reading).

European Drought Observatory

Snag_3091df4.thumb.png.df67da8800e8905b7cfa72d8a1fa9799.png

Edited by Quinach

10 hours ago, More Snow said:

Bloody heck it made it to 13c here in miserable Cornwall today.. and the sun felt rather warm.. how anybody would spend a winter down here I would never know

Oy More Snow watch it that's my homeland you're disparaging.  We might only get snow once every decade and have mild mizzle filled winters but no one can do stormy seas quite as well as us.

12363410104_2b7dc9968e_c.jpg

sennen-hercules-storm.jpg

storm-imogen-pendeen.jpg

22 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Oy More Snow watch it that's my homeland you're disparaging.  We might only get snow once every decade and have mild mizzle filled winters but no one can do stormy seas quite as well as us.

12363410104_2b7dc9968e_c.jpg

sennen-hercules-storm.jpg

storm-imogen-pendeen.jpg

That's is impressive but still not as good as blizzards and sub zero temps.. wasnt meant to come across as being rude. We just not had a very good time here for one reason and another. 

23 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Still no wind here and still at 0C this morning. Blue sky.

Rinse & repeat, nearly. 2C, no wind and some high-up clouds looking like they don't know what to do with themselves.

Coldest of the 'season' here this morning at -4C at the house, and as low as -5C on the commute. Bright sunny morning as you'd expect to go along with that, but little real visible evidence of frost despite the low temps, except on the car and well shaded spots. 

22 hours ago, More Snow said:

wasnt meant to come across as being rude. We just not had a very good time here for one reason and another. 

No offence taken. I love Cornwall but I love Scotland too. 

Looking forward to your Snaw posts 😁

Strong winds, gales and heavy rain from remnants of ex-hurricane Oscar will affect western Scotland, Northern Ireland, Irish Sea and Cumbria Friday evening through Saturday. 

Met Office - "Heavy rain will spread from the west later Friday evening will last for much of Saturday, before slowly clearing from the northwest. 30-50mm is expected quite widely, especially on high ground with 60-80mm possible in a few areas." 

0111satrainoscar.png

0111rain.png

Some brilliant patterns on the windscreen this morning. Not easy to scrape!

Nice day after last nights rain. Broken cloud with some sun. Feeling cold out of the sun. 

Saturday looking like a washout.

IMG_4967.thumb.JPG.c749d4629dc1a9f17e365554ebfa185d.JPG

Wasn't even frosty here this morning! Husband says about 3C, and it's bright sun and 13C now.

Much the same here, Mardatha, with some overnight rain.  Temp just creeping up to 9C, though.

It was quite mesmerising watching the mist dissipate over the hills as the sun gained height this morning.

Frost came in with daylight this morning as cloud cleared to fine sunny morning with clear blue skies. Temperature fell to 0c at 8.00am.

Slightly unusual late autumn weather in that the roads this afternoon were dry and white with salt something you only normally see in February as humidities drop and the sun gets stronger.

Dawn started wet but the front passed over quickly leaving clear blue skies from 9am until dusk.

Combined with light winds felt very nice out there in the sun - perfect day for clearing up the garden.

Maximum temperature of 6C and now just below freezing.

43 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Dawn started wet but the front passed over quickly leaving clear blue skies from 9am until dusk.

Combined with light winds felt very nice out there in the sun - perfect day for clearing up the garden.

Maximum temperature of 6C and now just below freezing.

Very similar here I think apart from no early wetness, and we got to 8C. Ner-ner-ne-ner-ner. 

Also still at 3C, thanks to the hot water bottle that is the firth at the bottom of the garden.

And yes, to @Northernlights, the roads are white. And my nice car looks an absolute mess with dirty salt streaks over the muddy splatters everywhere. I blame Caithness farmers, the weather, Brexit, Donald bloody moron Trump, Aaron bloody troglodyte Banks, etc., etc. It's been a long day.

6 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Very similar here I think apart from no early wetness, and we got to 8C. Ner-ner-ne-ner-ner. 

Also still at 3C, thanks to the hot water bottle that is the firth at the bottom of the garden.

And yes, to @Northernlights, the roads are white. And my nice car looks an absolute mess with dirty salt streaks over the muddy splatters everywhere. I blame y Caithness farmers, the weather, Brexit, Donald bloody moron Trump, Aaron bloody troglodyte Banks, etc., etc. It's been a long day.

Hi Hairy Celt .If I didn"t know any better I would say you are turning into a grumpy old farmer!! Milder this morning at 5c with some high cloud .

2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Hi Hairy Celt .If I didn"t know any better I would say you are turning into a grumpy old farmer!! Milder this morning at 5c with some high cloud .

So this is what it feels like?! 5C here too but all blue above. It's been a cracking week...