Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Proper winter's day with plenty of sleet/hail showers blowing through quickly on a stiff N-NNE wind.

Wind preventing it getting to below freezing so far, with a maximum temperature during the day of 5C.

Surrounding hills have a dusting of snow on them, slushy though I suspect.

Some beautiful cloudscapes today, love the pink topped clouds you get at this time of year with the sun being that bit lower in the sky.

Snag_14ecda7.thumb.png.dafd2e0e955c18952c92e910dbcc595f.png

Multiple skeins of geese went over just before dusk.

Mightily impressive and loud, must have been over a thousand birds at least - the photos don't do the spectacle justice.

Snag_15462ac.thumb.png.12d887a44471690804acc505d62d355e.png

Snag_1508d3a.thumb.png.ee12af80fba40f061b88efc3d2a68980.png

Beautiful morning! Temp around 0c, perfectly still and frosty!

Morning folks,

Great to see the first wintry reports of the winter (or Autumn in fact). I’m down visiting family in Lancashire where it’s a beautiful frosty morning. No need for wet baws considerations here but there was accumulating snow in higher areas of NE England.

Nice to see some of the winter regulars back! 🙂

Edited by Hawesy

Back home from hols in the Far East ( Banffshire! ) where the wind did blow mightily! It was absolutely Baltic yesterday morning when we left, but once we got home we'd left the wind and sleet behind. Plenty of white stuff on the mountains at Cluanie but not so much here. Temp was bang on zero around 8.30 but has now rushed up to the heady height of 1.8c with wall to wall sunshine. We had a lovely wee holiday cottage over by, the only downside was the total lack of WiFi or mobile signal, so I have a lot of catching up to do!

Edited by mistyqueen

16 hours ago, shuggee said:

Sleet pellet-snow, cold wind. Not forecast - love it. Dew point back up now though 2.2/1°C.

Aye, we had the same here at fort SS yesterday evening. Was hammering down at times from some meaty NE showers. These rarely fail to deliver here.

First wintry prep of '18/19.

Glorious cold, crisp morning right now after a bonus extra hour in bed. 

Edited by scottish skier

I can confidently predict a very cold, very snowy winter. Our boiler has just given up the ghost and the last time it died was 2010. Thank goodness for British Gas cover, engineer arriving tomorrow.

Coldest night of Autumn so far. Currently -4c. Heavy frost and blue sky. As usual airport is colder at -7c. Pretty impressive lows for October!

Edited by 101_North

15 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Coldest night of Autumn so far. Overnight low of around -4c and currently -3c. Heavy frost and blue sky. Beautiful.

Same here and first ice on puddles. Newly dug ground in garden frozen too.

Showery morning in Balmedie.  Seem to have missed the real cold as 6 degrees here.  

On 27/10/2018 at 17:22, More Snow said:

Just out of interest does anybody know of a good pub to go to for food with kids for when we move back up to Crieff in 5 weeks??

The Tower is a good gastropub. 

Edited by Polar Gael

The hill-tops had a fresh top-up of snow overnight, but this is disappearing as I type as is the earlier skim of ice on the car windscreens.

A quick scan overhead and of the radar would indicate that a rain/sleet shower is imminent. Cold, damp, temp 2C currently and generally nae nice outside.

It’s usually at this time of year I start feeding the birds, the berries have gone except a few in the Yew tree, but unfortunately some rats appear to have taken up residence in the barn/garden. Two have been trapped recently (one was enormous!) and although I have not actually seen any since then, I suspect there may be at least one more hanging around.

Heavy frost here overnight and it's still thick in the shade. Middle of the day and only 1.7 C in the sheltered back garden.

Had a brief heavy shower which had something wintry in it.  It sure what though? Sun back out now and temp jumped up to 6C. Low this morning of -1.0C.

Ciel we had rats for a time as well. Girl next door was overfeeding the birds like hell - huge loads of pasta and bread scattered all over her garden every morning before she went to work.  The whole terrace  of 4 cottages had rats - one poor man came face to face close up with one that popped up out of his bin  under the sink! So we clubbed together and got a Rat Man in 😶

Snow showers on the horizon coming in across the Cairngorms from the SE.    Last time I saw this was when the Beast from the East struck at the end of February this year. The button was certainly pressed for winter last Friday as its currently 4c with a moderate SE wind

12 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Ciel we had rats for a time as well. Girl next door was overfeeding the birds like hell - huge loads of pasta and bread scattered all over her garden every morning before she went to work.  The whole terrace  of 4 cottages had rats - one poor man came face to face close up with one that popped up out of his bin  under the sink! So we clubbed together and got a Rat Man in 😶

Hoping that I don't have a full-scale invasion! but certainly no bird seeds will be put out meantime. Doggie has flushed out two, and she is always desperate to get into the barn these days, but being a spaniel she is pretty useless a catching them, plus I would hate her to get bitten by one.

28 minutes ago, ciel said:

Hoping that I don't have a full-scale invasion! but certainly no bird seeds will be put out meantime. Doggie has flushed out two, and she is always desperate to get into the barn these days, but being a spaniel she is pretty useless a catching them, plus I would hate her to get bitten by one.

I have found the live rat trap cages work very well in the past as I didn't want to poison them due to having dogs (Boarder Terriers). The only problem being is there is no humane way of killing them once trapped.. But certainly better than the agony they must go through being poisoned.

Edited by Polar Maritime

16 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

I have found the live rat trap cages work very well in the past as I didn't want to poison them due to having dogs (Boarder Terriers). The only problem being is there is no humane way of killing them once trapped.. But certainly better than the agony they must go through being poisoned.

The trap I use, I'm afraid, is one rather like a large mousetrap. I would not consider using poison either.  

For mice, live traps are used when necessary and the trappees are released up Glen Esk or thereabouts - I believe house mice are quite adaptable to different environments??

1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Snow showers on the horizon coming in across the Cairngorms from the SE.    Last time I saw this was when the Beast from the East struck at the end of February this year. The button was certainly pressed for winter last Friday as its currently 4c with a moderate SE wind

Like Scottish Skier frost lay in shade all day .Did a bit of late afternon  digging in garden and freshly turned soil is skinning up with the frost as it is now 1c and grass sparkling. This is what I call winter even if it  is still only October!!!!

As we're up on the hill we didn't go subzero here, bottoming out at a respectable 0.1C....but that's still the coldest October day since 26th October 2012 when it was -0.9C. 

8 hours ago, ciel said:

The hill-tops had a fresh top-up of snow overnight, but this is disappearing as I type as is the earlier skim of ice on the car windscreens.

A quick scan overhead and of the radar would indicate that a rain/sleet shower is imminent. Cold, damp, temp 2C currently and generally nae nice outside.

It’s usually at this time of year I start feeding the birds, the berries have gone except a few in the Yew tree, but unfortunately some rats appear to have taken up residence in the barn/garden. Two have been trapped recently (one was enormous!) and although I have not actually seen any since then, I suspect there may be at least one more hanging around.

Oh nice, everyone loves a pet rat in autumn!  I had one in my work accommodation near Wick (now permanently vacated). The owner feigned horror when I reported the clattering and banging in the roofspace.

Anyhoo, I'm home on the sunny Black Isle now for a few days so I can report... sunshine! It was a bit chilly out but a nice day to be in the garden on and off, and trying to unravel the mayhem of different wheels, tyres, bolts, spacers etc for the changeover. 

9 hours ago, Polar Gael said:

The Tower is a good gastropub. 

@More Snowis moving within 25 miles of me...... a great first sign of snowy weather this winter ⛄

Showery rain on and off this evening, currently 4c. Roads were bad locally this morning as overnight showers washed off the grit and black ice formed. There were several accidents between Cupar and St Andrews.