Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Second air frost of the autumn here with an overnight low of -0.5C. Glorious start to the day. Cloud now beginning to build up. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mistyqueen said:

Rather a nice morning here, calm but cloudy, currently 10.1c. I see that the Express/Mail days are starting winter at the end of this month. Best get the shovel and the snowshoes out then, eh?? ( NOT! ) 😉

But Jeremy’s brother said it in the article so it must be happening. The Mirror and Record have followed up a day later with the same story so that proves it. Winter tyres at the ready😀

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Norrance said:

But Jeremy’s brother said it in the article so it must be happening. The Mirror and Record have followed up a day later with the same story so that proves it. Winter tyres at the ready😀

Damn. Winter tyres time again. Mine are down to 4mm after last winter's marathon, and guess what the minimum recommended tread depth is for winter tyres. Kerching time again.

Mild and overcast in Caithness today after a chilly start.  We seem to be in some rather more benign weather now which means LESS MUD - nice!

• Like 3

Lovely day in Aviemore yesterday and ok today although a lot cloudier. Heading home now, back to reality. Been away since Sunday and have avoided being rained on or blown away, which is a real bonus for Scotland in October (or any time). 

Need maybe to think of getting my two rear tyres changed to all seasons like I did with the front pair last credit card period. Of course, when we all do, it'll set in motion a change to an extended mild outlook. 

• Like 4

Nice to see the -5 air returning to Scotland this early Modele GFS - Carte prévisions possibly some sleet / snow for the highest ground/mountains Netweather GFS Image also nice to see some of the GEFS members with a cool/cold pattern at the end of the month with northerly/easterly's, hopefully a sign of things to come for the upcoming winter 🤞 gensnh-1-1-228.png gensnh-5-1-288.png P6 is a lovely pattern with lows diving south, weak /non existent pv tempresult_trd4.gif P10 goes the scandi high route gens-10-1-384.png P12  tempresult_yai3.gif P13 gensnh-13-1-264.png P20 tempresult_cpy6.gif

• Like 8

Going by the 0.5cm layer of ice on the bird bath this morning, last night was the coldest night so far this autumn, with white grass frost still present at 10am in shaded areas.

Day warmed up pretty quickly after that, reaching maximum of 11C with light winds and very hazy sunshine.

The Met Office has released a Beta version of their new website - Beta Metoffice Website

The text descriptions in the local weather are cringeworthy, some examples.....

Snag_2e39dc.thumb.png.a57d0f87fdf5896dd9ad04938c515631.png

Snag_2f7fca.thumb.png.6e50565568dd23c59f545dc8f80e3d27.png

Needless to say the feedback provided was not complimentary on that aspect...  😼

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Going by the 0.5cm layer of ice on the bird bath this morning, last night was the coldest night so far this autumn, with white grass frost still present at 10am in shaded areas.

Day warmed up pretty quickly after that, reaching maximum of 11C with light winds and very hazy sunshine.

The Met Office has released a Beta version of their new website - Beta Metoffice Website

The text descriptions in the local weather are cringeworthy, some examples.....

Snag_2e39dc.thumb.png.a57d0f87fdf5896dd9ad04938c515631.png

Snag_2f7fca.thumb.png.6e50565568dd23c59f545dc8f80e3d27.png

Needless to say the feedback provided was not complimentary on that aspect...  😼

Those are shockingly turd-like, I agree.

The reports of frost are starting to mount up. I have my usual excuse - home's on the coast and work's at 15m asl and only about 10 miles from the coast. At least the car woke me up this morning near Kildary, 'BING, warning, low temperature, risk of ice!' Fat chance at 4.5C under a grey sky.

• Like 1

Braw morning here again. Not as cold as yesterday though.

Maybe cold enough for wintry showers in the N and NE later in the month?

ECMOPEU00_192_1.png

Edited by Norrance

57 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Braw morning here again. Not as cold as yesterday though.

Maybe cold enough for wintry showers in the N and NE later in the month?

ECMOPEU00_192_1.png

Some of the charts are juicy at long range, here's where the GFS ends up:

1910gfs.thumb.jpg.180f888d8b616c206a88b26a808bd953.jpg1910gfst.thumb.jpg.6dc7e31d2ad8024f7a4ee9f2ab15dad5.jpg

In the meantime the weather isn't doing much at the moment. This is today's most interesting moment :)

20181019_075809.thumb.jpg.cd0fd00fbd29d5390ee7a3ed44cc87bb.jpg

• Like 2

First visible ground frost of the season at 2c first thing yesterday morning followed by a fine morning and a cloudy afternoon . Been very busy in this fine weather fencing,lots of posts and strainers broken over the summer in  the very dry conditions. Soil surface is dusty again. Another fine day today but no frosty start road getting dustier. Turnip crop is absolute fantastic They seem to have taken off since  early  Septembers rain with some the size of pumpkins.

On a different subject  a gruesome find yesterday a sheep that  must have had died in a field overnight was found skinned and stripped of all flesh with just the skull and backbone left even the ribs and eartag had been devoured. Obviously a band of feeding badgers had come upon it as there is well worn badger track nearby. This is the first time in my life I  have seen such feeding on a dead sheep

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

First visible ground frost of the season at 2c first thing yesterday morning followed by a fine morning and a cloudy afternoon . Been very busy in this fine weather fencing,lots of posts and strainers broken over the summer in  the very dry conditions. Soil surface is dusty again. Another fine day today but no frosty start road getting dustier. Turnip crop is absolute fantastic They seem to have taken off since  early  Septembers rain with some the size of pumpkins.

On a different subject  a gruesome find yesterday a sheep that  must have had died in a field overnight was found skinned and stripped of all flesh with just the skull and backbone left even the ribs and eartag had been devoured. Obviously a band of feeding badgers had come upon it as there is well worn badger track nearby. This is the first time in my life I  have seen such feeding on a dead sheep

Badgers are hardcore by the sounds of it, I used to think they were sweet little things but I hear a lot of these stories.

• Like 1

Morning all,

Very mild this morning, currently 12c/11c and cloudy. As mentioned above a recurring theme of colder air moving in from the north later next week, certainly cold enough for snow on the hills and perhaps some fleeting white stuff at lower levels in the north.

Looking forward to issuing my first set of 2018/19 individual member predictions for a widespread lowland snowfall. Fingers crossed I’m required to do it this side of Christmas! 😁

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 6

Book me in for 6ft of snow by Christmas Hawesy!

• Like 1

Mild in Caithness too, been at 10C for the last couple of hours. Overcast, little wind.

'Back to bed weather,' said Zebedee. 'Oh Zebedee,' replied Florence...

• Like 1

Superb day.  Bit overcast first thing but that soon cleared to bountiful sunshine in the afternoon, light winds and a stonking 19C.

Crathes Castle bustling as a result - gardens still full of colour with plenty of bees, hoverflies and butterflies out as well.

Snag_1209f15.thumb.png.605a5ddeaa149764fda319c8d09bbf37.png

Snag_12173f9.thumb.png.d651b0f584fb9e301473389f19d88512.png

• Like 6

Fine day yesterday reached 17c and breezy .Cut domestic grasses again .Hopefully last of season. Had some nice regrowth in grass fields which shoud keep sheep happy till Xmas.

Wet this mornning and currently 9c  Everything ready to pull in cows and new calves if weather gets very bad next weekend but will attempt to keep them out till into November if ground dry enough and and not to wet above.Still have a 5 inch soil moisture deficit so it may be possible. Dry frosty weather would be best.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Howdy. Time to switch the lurking mode off. Wind has more of a bite to it these days, the white stuff doesn’t feel too far away. Nice moody sunset towards the monadhlaiths last night while out with the dog

A3F01C04-7967-421F-A875-74CCBCEC1FAD.thumb.jpeg.a9dc66ecc40dcc2fff86b7a963b4bdca.jpeg

• Like 3