DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Fabulous sunny day temperature up to 13c but raidly changed late afternoon as fresh E wind got up and clouded over .Currently 6c

Dried up a lot and allowed us to sow two fields of barley  Ground only just fit to sow in but getting late.Lime spread on another field. Some cattle off to market so has been all go today

Also helped a lost arctic lorry find its delivery address, satnavs are not  infallible.

Daffodils starting to flower in greater numbers but they are short stemmed and some flowers are not opening properly and seem fused together, maybe frost damage? A lot of  trees still look very bare and there is a lot of burnt brown  grass still.

• Like 6

Very wet start to the morning but the rain has eased back to grey/misty (just about the story of the week) one saving grace though the wind's finally eased

• Like 1

Same old same old. Dull damp cool 6C. Less wind here too.

Dull grey wet miserable pish on Islay, had one and a half decentish days out of 6 and no warmth at all. Useless internet, rip-off pubs and restaurants (Gaelic Centre a splendid exception) and sheep everywhere.... Hope they get plagued with midges soon Be glad to be home tomorrow. God do I sound sour?:p

Fog/haar moving around stealthily. Cloud base 275m ish. Dank. But still light around 20:50.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Fog/haar moving around stealthily. Cloud base 275m ish. Dank. But still light around 20:50.

Aye, right pea souper out there.

On the way back from Hillend it was thick haar all the way to this side of Soutra.

Cold and dank too; decided tae keep the bunnet oan when skiing. 

---

Winter tyres coming off this weekend.

Finally.

• Like 3

Well after yesterdays great day it was back to rain in the morning with a misty afternoon so no sowing today. I think nearly all of the UKs farmers need this better weather that is forecast  for next week but it needs to last for the whole summer to help repair the damage of the last 9 months and to build up stocks of feed again. Maximum of 7c today and currently 6c

• Like 5

Glorious oot.

Sun shining, birds tweeting in the trees. Daffs in bloom. 

Perfect weather for changing to summer tyres.:)

However, that's the lawn coming back to life too. Won't be long before the mowing season begins anew. :closedeyes:

• Like 5

HEARD MY FIRST CURLEW!! 

• Like 5

Sun oot at 9am, realised where it was and promptly went away again. Overcast and 11c. At least its no raining..... yet

There's been a fair amount of cloud around today, but mainly hazy sunshine and a cool SW breeze. Temp has been around 11C. The ground is drying out thankfully.  

Saw 2 butterflies this afternoon the first this year - not sure which species as they quickly went to ground among the daffodils - and a few bumble bees.

• Like 3

Sun came out here................for about  2 minutes but been another struggle to clear the cloud although feels warmer now we lost that nagging breeze

• Like 2

Home! Almost warm and sunny! And internet, and I don't have to wave and sound cheery with everyone. Lol. Winters coming off tomorrow, at last, as Southern Skier (sic) says. Ha. 

• Like 3

Been lovely sunshine here all day and is still sunny at five past six!

• Like 3

Beautiful evening! Away for the weekend with the kids a couple of miles outside Alyth, heading towards Glenisla. Great location with some stunning views. Sitting outside enjoying a beer with nothing but birdsong for company! Lovely :)

• Like 3

Yes fine day here too .Another couple of fields sown and tonight young Mr. Northernlights is rolling them as I type.First really mild evening at 11c just now so growth should take off.Cattle should be out in about ten days if this keeps up.

• Like 4

Lovely day in this part of Aberdeenshire, if the wind was a bit lighter would have been glorious.  Max temp of 16C, generally sunny but the keen wind again making things feel cool in the shade.  Grass finally starting to grow in earnest and the wind is helping the soil to dry up well.

Some shots looking N thru to ENE towards Bennachie and environs.

Snag_651215a.thumb.png.cdfb5205ed7412c62e8b3f6c128becef.pngSnag_6519205.thumb.png.22ea0dc3441a9084ac13cb321af78f49.pngSnag_651cbe2.thumb.png.c88911a655f915ab9ec752fdaa412e74.pngSnag_6522df7.thumb.png.187c2ac68baef8eace5dced52c5e45e3.png

Low cloud looked like it was lurking in the distance towards the SE though...

Snag_6531673.thumb.png.776fb83072dd3e3312a964ca478967c5.png

I see the London media have picked up on the effect of the long winter on farming - "Guardian Article"

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Yes fine day here too .Another couple of fields sown and tonight young Mr. Northernlights is rolling them as I type.First really mild evening at 11c just now so growth should take off.Cattle should be out in about ten days if this keeps up.

Bit of a chilly start at 3c but sunny with fair weather high cloud which I haven"t seen for a long time. Some ground hugging mist about too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Bit of a chilly start at 3c but sunny with fair weather high cloud which I haven"t seen for a long time. Some ground hugging mist about too

Is this an agricultural joke? Haar, haar. 

(foggy here too) 

• Like 1

Usable weather this weekend. Bit grey after a bright start yesterday, but at least that scything easterly wind finally abated. Max of 12.4C. Chilly overnight with a low of 2.8C. Much sunnier the morn and currently 9.3C. Enjoy the sunshine, kilters. 

• Like 1

Started sunny (for once) but cloud's pushed in again

My stupid joke is hanging around to spoil my day. Still cold and foggy here :angry:

Posted (edited)

This song is doing the rounds at the moment apparently.   First time I've heard it.   Have a listen if you haven't heard it already.

We had an overnight low of 5.4c which has since risen to the dizzy heights of 13.7c along with some welcome sunshine. Cloud returning now though and  Currently 11.6c/ENE.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

My stupid joke is hanging around to spoil my day. Still cold and foggy here :angry:

Fabulous day so hot I have had to come in for a cooling drink!!!!! Currently 16 c with clear blue skies and sunshine and moderate S wind.Swallows will be here any day now. Dust appearing on field surfaces.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3