Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
5 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

See - the snowdrops are taking over! Do we have an strategic emergency response plan?

They are certainly flowering longer and later here.

• Like 3

Posted

Dull with light showers here,fresh north wind and currently 6c making it feel very cool. Still   llttle or no grass growth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
20 hours ago, scott125 said:

I dont know if you would know , but before the EU was enlarged in 2004 , was it just locals in the fields picking ? 

Labour gangs were used I believe. Now the migrant workers move North as the season progresses as the English growing areas bloom first. There are problems obtaining workers if the English season is late especially for the Easter market. I have a pal whose family have daff fields in Angus.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Scott125 School bairns did a lot of the picking, and a lot of the mums went to "the tatties". My mum and all the neighbours did.

Edited by mardatha

Posted

I'll see your xcweather crazy GFS prediction and raise you:

Screenshot_20180328-200119.png

:laugh:8)8)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

We get the coastal version of that and a bit less wind. Doesn't seem that crazy for Easter really, I can remember some snowy ones from not that long ago, plus a few from er longer ago than I care to think. (Is this how we slowly get used to being decrepit and senile, just by gently prodding ourselves?)

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

That's why the kids get a week off school in October, for the tattie harvest.

Meanwhile the GFS keeps up this sort of nonsense:

20180328_185405.thumb.png.90bd69b13dcefc8b1d156bbb61ebb69c.png

It's going to get it right eventually.

Two weeks tattie holidays in October up in Tayside since I were a lad.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Two weeks tattie holidays in October up in Tayside since I were a lad.

Yes I picked tatties as  a kid on neighbouring farms plus our own.Later on our two acres when I organised it you just phoned some from the previous year and they woud tell all their friends and before long you had to start turning  some away. Every year was an education with the  good workers and the slow ones plus high jinks at lunch time. Best anecdote from Mrs Northernlights when she was helping one slow picker is that the reason she was slow was because she was picking with one hand. When questioned on this she replied she was keeping one hand clean for her lunch!!

Now with all the rules and regulations kids hardly ever get to work on farms, good from the safety side but bad from never getting your hands dirty and I have had all sorts picking tatties a lot of whom went on to higher education but they always remember picking tatties here if I ever see them.

Currently overcast and 4.5c

• Like 6

Posted

Dull day with max temperature of 7C.  Showers off and on in afternoon, some of hail rest of sleet.

Met office still keen on a 24 to 36 hour period of rain & snow starting from midday tomorrow, cannot wait :nea:

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

.. and when you're all snowed in ? .. b.c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I picked tatties in the early 80s, but this was somewhere near Nuneaton, to supplement my dole with some cash in hand. I lasted about 6 days then one morning I couldn't move (back seized) and that was that. It was very poorly paid so I wasn't that disappointed - not many fond memories of those days

Cold out again tonight. Going to have to time my morning bike ride to get some warmth before the showers start. Perhaps.

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful morning and the coldest for some time at -2c here and -4c at the airport. Frost took some effort to shift from the windscreen!

Posted

Another morning frost which is leading to a very nice day so far

• Like 1

Posted

Experiencing a rash of heavy hail showers at the mo. Temp 2C, still, and almost total cloud cover.

This has put an end to any gardening ambitions for this morning, anyway.

Posted

4C here with shower clouds bubbling high up above some lower cloud coming in from the North Sea. Clear earlier with a low of -2C.

Edited by Norrance

A very bright but cold start here this morning -4c but now the cloud has rolled in and we are stuck with wet cold pish... 3c. BBC has me down for heavy snaw Monday night and Tuesday.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Strange to think Snaw maybe on the way, have washing actually drying outside.

My washing is currently on the pulley - an essential piece of equipment for Scottish weather. :)