Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

Nice spring day.  Frosty start then rapidly rising to max of 8.5C in abundant sunshine and light winds.  Bit more cloud around in the afternoon and now just below freezing - another clear night but not seeing any evidence of the aurora unfortunately. 

Second night running heard large flock of geese flying overheard heading towards the NW - looks like they are getting itchy feet and thinking of heading back north to Iceland etc.  The local farmer will be glad to get rid of them though as there was a large flock decimating a rapeseed field the other day.  Cocky geese though (or else just plain deaf) as they mostly ignored the gas guns that were going off in a vain attempt to scare them away.

Clocks go forward on Sunday for BST :D but GFS is intent on keeping us in winter next week.  Hunting for Easter Eggs with the kids in the snow does have some appeal though!

Snag_110b53b.thumb.png.4795f992b5df214ceff39fc66812074b.png

• Like 6

Plenty of years I’d have been looking forward to a prospective Easter snowfall due to lack of lowland snowfall during the winter months, but this year I’m not so sure! Very pleasant day near Lanark today with birds chirping and a brown hare lolloping along the margins of a field - felt like Spring had arrived!

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

@Hawesy Er, so I'd be packing the waterproofs and thermals if I were you! :cold:

I may have overdone it a wee bit on the auld autumnal snawdance this year...:whistling:

ebd40795733a5877da0e5c0c0774604e.jpg

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 3

Both the ECM 00z and GFS 00z are keen on a decent cold spell next week, perhaps five days of cold weather with a chance of snow. Anyone want to bet against it? :) Didn't think so!!

@Hawesy you're going to need full winter gear including snowshoes for your walk at this rate.

• Like 6

LOL - U wait years for easterly regimes and three come along at once. IN MARCH 

image.thumb.png.c2cfab68d0db561b44ba46c6a14446fc.png

• Like 2

Amazing eh...

I can remember an easterly from 1986 or 1987 I was an apprentice at Rosyth Dockyard and we weren't allowed on the dockside for all the snaw and ice but a pile of us sneaked out and ended up having a snaw-baw fight with the ships staff from HMS Birmingham which was in dock at the time...it was brilliant.

• Like 3

It's currently 11C which makes it the warmest day here this year :), quite impressive actually considering the almost complete cloud cover though the wind is light.

Looks like tomorrow could be mild as well but thereafter its back to the cool/cold weather going by the models.

The weather this year really is quite different to the last few years and it will be interesting to see what happens in the summer - just as long as the easterly winds go away as for here that just guarantees cool, grey drizzly yuck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lorenzo said:

LOL - U wait years for easterly regimes and three come along at once. IN MARCH 

image.thumb.png.c2cfab68d0db561b44ba46c6a14446fc.png

Really??!

2 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Really??!

Yeah... but what does it mean?? 

• Like 2

Dam cold!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Dam cold!!

Erm, when :ninja:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Erm, when :ninja:

Tuesday until Saturday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The South Queensferry snowshield is forecast to be at quite incredible efficiency 

D306EBB4-D294-4566-83DC-CCBE41FF1829.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Normal service has been resumed today. Grey, milder, p*sh, bit windy. 

Max of 9.4C after overnight low of -0.5C. 

Enjoy the 'mild' blip while it lasts, kilters. 

At this rate, will be end May/start June before we're frost-free up here  - garden's looking rustic. 

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 3

No sure if rustic's the word I was looking for Gael... think mine is just looking dire lol

Still only intermittant phone/broadband but speaking with others there are some big problems with BT service in this area. Good day yesterday more stones  off ,last of  outside straw bales into shed under cover and a batch of cattle off to sale. Ground is fairly dry and tempting to sow but its still warming up and if above comes off then seed is probably better in bag unless you are on very free draining  sandy soil. The implications of extended cold in April for agriculture will be immense coming after a very long winter and peviously poor summer with lots of suppliers already complaing about poor cash flows from farmers. Even I can see that this summer may not be great if the jetstream stays on its southerly journey. Wild life will suffer too birds are emptying the feeder every second day and there is absolutely no grass anywhere with our own wintering sheep devouring tonnes of turnips every day. Hopefully its not too snowy to load them on the lorry on the 1st of April back to their home in Skye.     Currently bright and 7c

• Like 6

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Jings.

ecmt850.192.pngecmt850.216.png

h850t850eu.png

OMG :shok:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The 06z GFS has spat out a huge snowstorm on Tuesday, 30-50cm of snow across many parts of the north and perhaps 20-30cm in parts of the south. Winter is a long way from being dead.

22Mar120.thumb.jpg.d95580633081fc2432b0283038ceb08a.jpg22Mar123.thumb.jpg.94f26548ef9fdab1e256618b450ab74f.jpg22Mar126.thumb.jpg.c0faa24aa52201c2d17c13a790993086.jpg22Mar129.thumb.jpg.0001c9b636744e798749ed35b4082ef0.jpg22Mar132.thumb.jpg.a36830d3bf0980537c68dd10266de683.jpg22Mar135.thumb.jpg.a42ae62b0e89be5451c9e2a0c1430e63.jpg

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 7

Catch - if it is going to do it at this time of the year it may as well do it properly

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Serac said:

Catch - if it is going to do it at this time of the year it may as well do it properly

It looks possible that this winter will go out with a kabooooom rather than a mere bang. 

• Like 2

Summer must be coming - slugs are out demolishing what plant life is left and camper vans are out on the road!

In meantime, a glorious day.  Lots of hazy sunshine with temperature now 13.5C, though the wind is picking up so feels a bit cooler than that.

As mentioned above the models really are keen to hit us with more snow next week - Washington DC got a good covering yesterday and, just as over here, the weather models can get predicted snow accumulations very wrong... ECM = 15" to 20" reality 3" to 6"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quinach said:

Summer must be coming - slugs are out demolishing what plant life is left and camper vans are out on the road!

In meantime, a glorious day.  Lots of hazy sunshine with temperature now 13.5C, though the wind is picking up so feels a bit cooler than that.

As mentioned above the models really are keen to hit us with more snow next week - Washington DC got a good covering yesterday and, just as over here, the weather models can get predicted snow accumulations very wrong... ECM = 15" to 20" reality 3" to 6"

We could have told them the ECM always overhypes snow accumulation totals, it's done it all winter here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The 06z GFS has spat out a huge snowstorm on Tuesday, 30-50cm of snow across many parts of the north and perhaps 20-30cm in parts of the south. Winter is a long way from being dead.

22Mar120.thumb.jpg.d95580633081fc2432b0283038ceb08a.jpg22Mar123.thumb.jpg.94f26548ef9fdab1e256618b450ab74f.jpg22Mar126.thumb.jpg.c0faa24aa52201c2d17c13a790993086.jpg22Mar129.thumb.jpg.0001c9b636744e798749ed35b4082ef0.jpg22Mar132.thumb.jpg.a36830d3bf0980537c68dd10266de683.jpg22Mar135.thumb.jpg.a42ae62b0e89be5451c9e2a0c1430e63.jpg

Oh my giddy aunt is the polite response. The full response would have me descending to the next circle of hell.