Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Still only intermittant phone/broadband but speaking with others there are some big problems with BT service in this area. Good day yesterday more stones  off ,last of  outside straw bales into shed under cover and a batch of cattle off to sale. Ground is fairly dry and tempting to sow but its still warming up and if above comes off then seed is probably better in bag unless you are on very free draining  sandy soil. The implications of extended cold in April for agriculture will be immense coming after a very long winter and peviously poor summer with lots of suppliers already complaing about poor cash flows from farmers. Even I can see that this summer may not be great if the jetstream stays on its southerly journey. Wild life will suffer too birds are emptying the feeder every second day and there is absolutely no grass anywhere with our own wintering sheep devouring tonnes of turnips every day. Hopefully its not too snowy to load them on the lorry on the 1st of April back to their home in Skye.     Currently bright and 7c

• Like 6

Posted

Summer must be coming - slugs are out demolishing what plant life is left and camper vans are out on the road!

In meantime, a glorious day.  Lots of hazy sunshine with temperature now 13.5C, though the wind is picking up so feels a bit cooler than that.

As mentioned above the models really are keen to hit us with more snow next week - Washington DC got a good covering yesterday and, just as over here, the weather models can get predicted snow accumulations very wrong... ECM = 15" to 20" reality 3" to 6"

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The 06z GFS has spat out a huge snowstorm on Tuesday, 30-50cm of snow across many parts of the north and perhaps 20-30cm in parts of the south. Winter is a long way from being dead.

22Mar120.thumb.jpg.d95580633081fc2432b0283038ceb08a.jpg22Mar123.thumb.jpg.94f26548ef9fdab1e256618b450ab74f.jpg22Mar126.thumb.jpg.c0faa24aa52201c2d17c13a790993086.jpg22Mar129.thumb.jpg.0001c9b636744e798749ed35b4082ef0.jpg22Mar132.thumb.jpg.a36830d3bf0980537c68dd10266de683.jpg22Mar135.thumb.jpg.a42ae62b0e89be5451c9e2a0c1430e63.jpg

Oh my giddy aunt is the polite response. The full response would have me descending to the next circle of hell.

Posted
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The 06z GFS has spat out a huge snowstorm on Tuesday, 30-50cm of snow across many parts of the north and perhaps 20-30cm in parts of the south. Winter is a long way from being dead.

22Mar120.thumb.jpg.d95580633081fc2432b0283038ceb08a.jpg22Mar123.thumb.jpg.94f26548ef9fdab1e256618b450ab74f.jpg22Mar126.thumb.jpg.c0faa24aa52201c2d17c13a790993086.jpg22Mar129.thumb.jpg.0001c9b636744e798749ed35b4082ef0.jpg22Mar132.thumb.jpg.a36830d3bf0980537c68dd10266de683.jpg22Mar135.thumb.jpg.a42ae62b0e89be5451c9e2a0c1430e63.jpg

Another snowy Tuesday... 100% nailed as I'm usually in England on Tuesdays!!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Nearly reached my first 10C of the month today but stopped just short at 9.7C. With current forecasts could I do the month without a double figure max? It would be unusual any month never mind in Spring.

Some charts for later next week are similar to late March 1975. This brought cold Northerlies through into mid April with 45 cms snow lying in the Cntral Highlands by 9th. A cold Spring followed with the famous early June snow followed by a warm Summer. I was skiing in the late May bank holiday and then canoeing and swimming in Loch Morlich by the second weekend of June.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It has certainly been a consistent cool to cold, we've not hit 10C since the end of January. Contrast this with last March and only 12 days failed to hit 10C or more. 

I see the 12z ECM is sticking with a cold theme, I might even see some proper snow for a change:

22MARECM144.thumb.jpg.8357361e26bd7d9e841245043e3efe35.jpg22MARECM850144.thumb.jpg.81a0e7b7b26e4da91d752b7076e8f1d1.jpg

I recorded 11.3c here on Tuesday afternoon I've never known that kind of temperature to feel so warm . Just goes to show how good a winter/early spring it has been from a cold perspective .

• Like 3

Posted

10.5c at Leuchars this afternoon, although was breezy enough to take the edge off the temperature.

Start of my Rob Roy Way walk looking okay weather wise at the weekend....will obviously have to keep an eye on what’s happening next week. Will try and keep you updated (phone signal permitting). :)

• Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

10.5c at Leuchars this afternoon, although was breezy enough to take the edge off the temperature.

Start of my Rob Roy Way walk looking okay weather wise at the weekend....will obviously have to keep an eye on what’s happening next week. Will try and keep you updated (phone signal permitting). :)

Anything to get out of Easter snow predictions.?❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We've still got snow up the sides of the dykes here. This morning I woke to blinding sunshine and warmth, threw open all windies and went to make a gallon of tea and wake up. Came back through the hoose to find hammering rain coming in all windies and a force 10 from the icecap. It must be Spring!

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, mardatha said:

We've still got snow up the sides of the dykes here. This morning I woke to blinding sunshine and warmth, threw open all windies and went to make a gallon of tea and wake up. Came back through the hoose to find hammering rain coming in all windies and a force 10 from the icecap. It must be Spring!

We missed the sunny start, straight into jaffa cakesing rain. Nice.

Posted

Bit wild overnight in Tweeddale with that gusty southerly wind funnelling down the valley.  Woke up around 4.30am with lashing rain and gusts shaking the hoose! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Test warning

The Met Office may issue a TEST yellow warning for ice for the Orkney Islands today, as part of a service test of the Met Office Weather Warnings service.

Posted

Hill snow only next week looks to be the current prognosis, at least until we get to unreliable la-la land next weekend.

Has anyone else noticed the massive spike in Snowdrop flowering this year? I've never seen so many, in so many places I don't recall seeing them, and flowering for so long.

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Hill snow only next week looks to be the current prognosis, at least until we get to unreliable la-la land next weekend.

Has anyone else noticed the massive spike in Snowdrop flowering this year? I've never seen so many, in so many places I don't recall seeing them, and flowering for so long.

Yes HC, I have noticed this, only yesterday. Their flowering season also appears to be longer this year.

• Like 3

Posted

Just looking back at the month's photos and found this icy skinny dipping chap.  Looks like he's about to take the plunge...

5ab50ae36593d_skinnydipper.thumb.jpg.ae3da58af3f7a6e3b4bf3624602d5429.jpg

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

Could some kind person please explain to a luddite (me) how to make one of these smart links e.g. @"a poster" ?

It seems that the technique might save some unnecessary quoting.

Posted
32 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Absolutely agree about the snowdrops, there have been a huge amount of them and they've lasted a long time.

I don't completely agree about next week's cold spell, this morning's ECM looks snowy to all levels away from the coast at +120hrs:

23MARECM120.thumb.jpg.d31a9d9305f0e418359fbe2ebe3d0c7c.jpg23MARECM850120.thumb.jpg.02b0d80c9c9bb70073cf22f94ef86f2f.jpg

The 06z GFS wasn't as cold but the 00z was snowier within a week's time frame:

Screenshot_20180323-070502.thumb.jpg.1de604331139a266584a63c86c33ed31.jpg

More chops than a butcher's shop, so we'll see what is spat out this afternoon.

Sums it up really. We have different perspectives.

Posted
29 minutes ago, ciel said:

Could some kind person please explain to a luddite (me) how to make one of these smart links e.g. @"a poster" ?

It seems that the technique might save some unnecessary quoting.

If you press the @ key and immediately start typing the name of the character you want to flame/quote/whatever, the message board software starts to guess who it is... it's easier than it sounds, just try it @ciel then you click on the chap/chappess and away you go. (I have to be one of the world's worst explainers!)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
22 minutes ago, ciel said:

@Hairy Celt

Hurrah!

Ta, HC

All the things you wanted to know but were afraid to ask!!  :laugh:

Ta from me too HC!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Just looking back at the month's photos and found this icy skinny dipping chap.  Looks like he's about to take the plunge...

5ab50ae36593d_skinnydipper.thumb.jpg.ae3da58af3f7a6e3b4bf3624602d5429.jpg

Thanks from me too, HC:good:...I've no idea where the quote came from!:shok: