Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Another lovely sunny winters day, below freezing all day in shaded areas and a max of 2C in the sunshine.

Light winds again and a subtle change in the weather this evening with things getting a bit milder - now just above freezing outside even thought the skies are still clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Back to dullsville weather wise, cloudy, calm, 7.8 c. Not complaining too much as it could be a helluva lot worse! Maybe a bit colder next week, winter finally arriving?

Posted

Another grey day with no sun, no wind, no rain and no frost. It seems a close to not actually having any weather as possible! 

At least I have been able to get outside.

Finally put the winter tyres on today so guaranteed not to snow now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Dull cool and boring. Did just scrape a frost last night at -0.4C. 3.5C was the max. 

Had a trip up to the Sidlaws and could see clearer skies to the NE.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted

Gardening all afternoon with a wee fire to dispose of the raspberry canes. Greg and only small bursts of wind - but it did blow the smoke to every point of 360° in the three hours. 

Posted

Ha ha. It's a purveyor of a delicious sausage, bean and cheese pastie.

GREY

GREY

GREY

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Grey and boring in NW England on Wed. 

Grey and boring in SW Scotland on Thu. 

Grey and boring heading up to parents in Central belt today, via Ayr. 

Please don't be grey and boring as we head back to Aberdeenshire tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The grey horror has spread to all windows now. Grey from the bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen, the porch. Only the cellar is safe as there are no windows. How many more days of this nightmare can we survive?

• Like 5

Posted

It's grey here this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Happy New Year, kilters. 

This winter: snoozefest so far.

One of the mildest Hogmanays I can recall (Flambeaux snaps attached) followed by this quiet weather for days on end. We did manage a second ice day this winter on Ne'er Day, so that's something. 

Signs of change from mid-month. Possibly. 

Currently grey, 3.3C and ZZZZZZzzzzzzz...

IMG_20190101_0058416.jpg

IMG_20190101_0002156.jpg

IMG_20190101_0047360.jpg

IMG_20190101_0058389.jpg

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

F9F3F360-25A3-4412-BCFF-D7D36B1ADB2A.thumb.jpeg.227e7d0dea8a4bf44b18b481cb001623.jpeg

Things are looking up though, the models are still showing good signs of the weather turning a lot colder as we head into the middle of the month

• Like 3

Posted

Happy New Year ,, weather friends .. oh it seems to be grey and then grey and then more grey skies !

anyhoo wee photo of Gourock in the grey and then my attempts of taking night sky at at start of the week 

i need some snowflakes this month ❄️❄️❄️

6281E178-364F-4D98-B9D4-0AAA60DBD6C7.jpeg

626C7652-258D-4520-AE3C-310F2ABE834F.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

The borefest continues. Really has not been that exciting a winter at all. Something needs to change and soon

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, total borefest. Absolutely naff all to say about the weather. Just dry and grey. 

Almost wish it was pishin doon or something, just for a change from this blandness.

Anyway, to brighten things up, here's a few snaps from Samoens, Grand Massif, the other week, where Clan SS met up with the French side of the family for Christmas. And of course a bit of skiing. 

Huv tae include one of Mini Miss SS getting her second star from the ESF in just two weeks of skiing. So proud. We chip aff the auld block. 

Unfortunately, much as I've tried, Serena Williams is her heroine, with the skiing coming second place.  Ach well, ye cannae win em all.

As for the weather, looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer for the cauld, at least anything more than a brief northerly toppler.

In the meantime, hope everyone had a nice christmas and happy new year to all!

DSC_0365.JPG

DSC_0366.JPG

DSC_0368.JPG

DSC_0394.JPG

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 7

Posted

BREAKING NEWS! 

Just north of Dundee and I've finally spotted chunks of blue sky through the bland sheet of grey cloud. Just chinks mind you, but it's the first difference I've seen in days. 

Like @scottish skierI'm also yearning for rain just to break the monotony. If I hear "at least it's dry" one more time I'm going to scream. No Xmas/New Year skiing trip (due to moving house etc) this year to give me my snow fix either, so Im relying on the UK weather to do the business, hopefully soon. 

• Like 2

Posted

P. S. I'm betting on anything colder coming from a NW direction. The hints of this have been there for a while in the models, much more so than northerlies, and especially easterlies. The former just doesn't raise as much excitement in the MOD thread though as is not as good for most of the UK than N or E. Can be OK for most of us, and especially good for the snow starved ski resorts. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
4 hours ago, Ravelin said:

/graBREAKING NEWS! 

Just north of Dundee and I've finally spotted chunks of blue sky through the bland sheet of grey cloud. Just chinks mind you, but it's the first difference I've seen in days. 

Like @scottish skierI'm also yearning for rain just to break the monotony. If I hear "at least it's dry" one more time I'm going to scream. No Xmas/New Year skiing trip (due to moving house etc) this year to give me my snow fix either, so Im relying on the UK weather to do the business, hopefully soon. 

It was pretty knife edge for xmas. Was green untill a couple of weeks before and I was bricking it looking at the cams; alps don't come cheap, especially with brexit, so you don't want saved pennies spent on rock /grass hopping. Can do that here all year!

Finally snawed big style, but then there was a pretty serious wet thaw just ahead of the xmas week. Was Scottish weather the first couple of days and I got soaked day 2; everything below 1600 m was utterly sodden and patchy, with freezing level about 2000m. Then on the 25th the T/FL dropped and the sun came out. Lovely weather but snow rather hard pack due to the re-freeze. Still, beats hillend!

Anyway, just like Scotland, the western alps have suffered a rather poor start and really need snaw, but seems Austria eastwards has been doing well.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Ta daaaa!  We have very light drizzle!!

They have winter in Siberia though, I see.  Yakutsk and the weather there looks a trifle chilly.

@scottish skier - good to read your posts re the Alps. Not jealous at all, some vicarious pleasure to be had there.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes just the same here dry dull and calm today. Young Mr Northernlights taking stones off fields today in dusty surface conditions. Will we begin sowing at the end of February this year? Currently 6c

Speaking to an old ghillie today and he said they had to wait till September last year to get enough water in the river Findhorn to get fish to run but that it  turned into an excellent last month of the season.

We also discussed prospects for this year and both of us are  already concerned about  the lack of  rainfall /snowfall in the hills for fishing prospects and also for farming on the southside of the Moray Firth.

One consolation we both agreed on that winter has only really just started up here with at least  3 months of winter left on low ground and up to 4 months on the hills with spring snow much more likely than autumn snow.

• Like 2