Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Our cat Florence has a hangover of sorts. Lack of sleep caused by us staying up to 3am listening to records. She has been under the throw on the couch all day. 

Woke up to see our playlist for the night. Spot any you know? Sorry @Hairy Celt no Mogwai was played. 

04932D96-297F-4B8B-B689-5CC7601BE2BA.jpeg

DBF9AD2C-F800-4534-919C-11CB4D786A10.jpeg

926C5769-4DC9-4DBD-B437-F4FD27E31325.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

A Happy New Year to all!

Weather was good today, some early frost and a chilly sunny day fur a wee trek ower the fields.

Maybe January will bring us winter and the snaw we all crave?

Big Innes

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

@chemikal No Mogwai here either last night - got into a dubby groove so let the sub rip most of the night. Sorry neighbours. Lol. I reckon you're a few years younger than me, going on the covers in your photo. I was really keen on Suede for a while...

Kitty says HNY to her twin Florence  kitty.thumb.jpg.20199251628ddefece100630ae606c32.jpg

3C now - it feels like winter again after all the mild silliness recently.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

@chemikal No Mogwai here either last night - got into a dubby groove so let the sub rip most of the night. Sorry neighbours. Lol. I reckon you're a few years younger than me, going on the covers in your photo. I was really keen on Suede for a while...

3C now - it feels like winter again after all the mild silliness recently.

I know you have mentioned Mogwai in the past and I’m a huge fan. I work for Chemikal Underground Records and we released their first two albums. Managed to see Suede at The Plaza (now gone and luxury flats are in their place) in 1992. Born in 1973 so that gives you an indication of music tastes. Last nights music was heavily influenced by my wife who loves 80’s music. Hope I kept the volume to a reasonable level last night but hoping my neighbour didn’t notice as he works in a printing press for The Herald so is pretty hard of hearing!

Down to 1.1C here and frost forming on the cars.

• Like 2

Posted

Happy new year to all, cracking day I believe, but didn't get to bed till 6am so missed most of it. Now cold and clear at -3c, so starting to feel a little more seasonal.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Happy New Year all!

Lovely Winters day ahead - at last! (pic below - frost on the hills for the first time in a wee while!)

Charts look rubbish this morning - hopefully that will change shortly!

This post from the main man in the Strat thread earlier has made me start to wonder if this is all going to go tits up for us! 

51 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I wonder am I the only one who isn't overly excited that the dynamics and downwelling of the SSW and subsequent split are not looking favourable for the UK? The split at 10hPA keeps the residual vortices over the Atlantic and Eurasian sector before rejoining and even with the strongest tilting that I can imagine, there is a strong possibility of some kind of westerly flow over our sector unless these daughters can 'do one' and bugger off elsewhere!

Still early in the season though so plenty of time to go! 

Always frustrating watching all the cold/snow in Scandinavia every Winter while most of the time we get the crumbs! 

However - onwards and upwards! It is only January 2nd after all. 

Have a good day! 

BAFBB30B-366F-49AE-AE19-93D6C87F527C.jpeg

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5

Posted

Just come back from the steading over a very dusty surface . The lack of rain here this winter still very noticeable and my concerns for next summer if it is dry grow with every passing week of dry weather.A few northerly based winds and plenty of snow showers would help in the next couple of months.All these south winds fail to deliver any rain here due to the rain shadow effect of the Cairngorms. Curently 2c and sunny with a slight ground frost.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Currently 1C and slightly hazy but a much better day altogether.

For the first time ever, this winter my overwintering greens were being butchered by pigeons. They're now all covered with the green nylon mesh we use to keep the blackbirds off the fruit bushes. Wretched thieves! 

• Like 7

Posted

Lovely frosty start here too, Leuchars was down to -4c. Now blue skies and sunshine!

• Like 6

Posted

Cold and grey here on the east coast.   I do wonder if the SSW is not going to bring the snow/cold that some of us are looking for.  The latest 16-30 day forecast from the met seems to be quite a bit of a downgrade 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Not the best update - they seem to be backing off as the days pass.

Hopefully it’s a pile of dung! 

Thankfully we live in Scotland which at  least means we will always have a better chance of snow than the rest of the UK! 

F48C0B1F-8921-4A00-A0F4-74C090A9864C.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Just come back from the steading over a very dusty surface . The lack of rain here this winter still very noticeable and my concerns for next summer if it is dry grow with every passing week of dry weather.A few northerly based winds and plenty of snow showers would help in the next couple of months.All these south winds fail to deliver any rain here due to the rain shadow effect of the Cairngorms. Curently 2c and sunny with a slight ground frost.

Sky became even clearer as the day went   on  and the frost has started to set in harder in shaded areas. Currently -0.5c

• Like 3

Posted

Another beautiful day to be out walking in the Pentlands with the kids. Thought we might get an official ice day but the temp topped out at 1c! Just a few photos to bore you all with today Some cracking views from Bonaly and Torduff Reservoir down to Edinburgh and Arthur's Seat!

IMG_20190102_112551-1856x1044.thumb.jpg.21b05d370c5cff5cf559f3932e0b40b8.jpgIMG_20190102_115901-1044x1856.thumb.jpg.6bbaa813b49b2dbc8a2aec61bbd8e228.jpgIMG_20190102_115256-1044x1856.thumb.jpg.4f45fe7c743eecc00849ecf393439986.jpgIMG_20190102_120512-1044x1856.thumb.jpg.c32d630f9147534a17617d3371984b47.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

So we woke to a lovely clear. crisp morning, a sharp frost and a rather nippy -3.9c. Love it! Liver now in full recovery mode, but the choccies are now getting a bit of a pasting!

Caught a mink in a borrowed trap this morning. Blighters have killed all my ducks and chooks since the end of October. We thought we were doing well as we still had two youngish ducks left, until Hogmanay morning. The wee fiend chewed its way through the floor of the duck hut! Aye well, it went to meet it's maker pretty quick today I can tell you. So we now have to wait until spring to get a new batch of chooks and ducks. We're leaving the trap out just in case there's more of the wee toerags oot there.

Hoping for some more of the lovely winter weather we had this morning, maybe in mid January. I'm not getting too excited like some peeps in the model thread are, I'll only end up disappointed!

Hope you all had a great New Year!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

I went for a drive this morning, -3deg/C reading on the car through Glendevon which was its usual stunning self.

The daily BBC weather outlook - https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast-video/21416743 - is so depressing it showed a cold Arctic blast down through Eastern Europe all the way to Greece you couldn't write it...all thanks to our bloody high pressure.

Its time it was buggering off somewhere else so we can get some proper cold in.

Edited by Klippie
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just scraped a second ice day of the season in my garden assuming no surprise warmth arriving this evening. Max reached -0.2C at lunchtime and now -2.9C.

The very dry Winter spell continues.

• Like 4

Posted

Sunny, max of 2C, light winds and currently -4.8C outside.

Perfect winters day in my book.  More of this please, and goes to show you can get proper winter weather up here without fixating over a SSW.

In fact, I get to see the SSW ever other day travelling round here :oldwink:

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 1

Posted

-2 first thing in Balmedie this am.    Got to -4 when I arrived at work in the city centre though.   Stunning sun rise over the north sea this am.  

Without sounding overly negative ( and I do quite enjoy reading some of the posts of the more learned posters in the HFC thread.  And I do hope that cold / snow is not too far from arriving ),   if the MET office has access to far more model data that the mere mortals and they have updated their longer range forecast to the potential of cold arriving late Jan/Feb then isn't the hunt for any earlier cold a bit pointless ?