Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

On the train home after a night out in Glesga. Feeling very mild at 10c with no wind to speak of. A couple of frosts on the cards midweek but not much else on offer by way of wintry weather in the short term.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas! Mine was fun but very busy. Now looking forward to some peace and quiet to start 2019! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all.

Gawd....what day is it?    Like Hawsey, been very busy and hoping to be able to relax a bit during the next few days.

Same old, same old with the weather but maybe a glimmer of hope of something more seasonal in the not too distant future?

Anyhoo, feels like a cut and paste job pic of Lochgelly this morning:

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Posted

Morning, hope you all had a great Christmas break. Been a nice few days with blue skies but wet and windy overnight.

I see the daily express on the scaremongering again about the return of the beast from the east for the new year.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/1064668/UK-weather-snow-radar-Met-Office-weather-forecast-snow

Posted

Fine day again with washing drying well, almost unheard   of  in late December.

Just put sheep ino field behind house and steading onto about  four inches of green grass and all they can do is lift the gates off the hinges for fun and escape.Watched them doing it this morning.Just a bored bunch of teenagers with full stomachs. Could also be that they are sensing a change in the weather as field is completely without shelter to the north!!

Currently breezy , overcast and 11c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

As boring and grey the weather is just now at least its not blowing a gale and lashing with rain.

Possibly a wee bit of cold arriving mid week...but nae snaw..!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

@Northernlights - plant some hedges!

We got up to 11.5C today, and it's still 8.5C now. The excitement has been the moderate south-westerly breeze! And some very light drizzle. ZZZZzzzzz

This was by the River Conon this afternoon brahan1.thumb.jpg.8b1ebb7ebd2aa0f478aa07e958b3f0a3.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Funnily enough  Hairy Celt estate planted lots of trees alongside the side road boundaries of their fields about 18 years ago and most of them  are now growing away from the prevailing wind into some fairly obscure shapes. Just an indication of how exposed we are to wind from most points of the compass.Great place to make hay in summer however.

Still 10c and the surface of the ground getting dusty in the fresh drying wind .           RH currently 40%

• Like 4

Posted

Is this usual?...…...We have had a steady migration of geese from Vane Farm bird sanctuary, on the banks of Loch Leven since late October and all of November.   This is usual.   However a couple of nights ago, a huge flock passed over the house flying south and again a gigantic flock this morning.   I don't recall ever seeing them leaving this late in the year in such big numbers.

Is it because of the mild December that they remained longer, or do they know something we don't?...….Asking for a friend!

Status quo in Costa Lochgelly:

untitled.png

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Happy Auld Year frae a dreich and windy Skye! Nae wonder I drink! It's about the only thing tae pit a smile oan ma face today! Tomorrow looks to be better though so at least we'll get oot fur a wee dauner. Hope you all have a great Noo Year and hopefully some proper winter weather in the not too distant future! ❄⛄

• Like 5

Posted

Hogmanay! Completely overrated unless spent at home with close family and friends! Going out in town lost it's appeal about 20 years ago - always slightly pish or totally pish!

A few drinks, some fireworks for the kids and no expectation of even seeing the bells is the plan in the 101 household

Whatever you are up to - Happy new year everyone

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted

Another springlike day with a strong west wind and sunny intervals. Lots of washing hung out by Mrs Northernlights as I told her tomorrow will be cooler with less drying conditions. Currently 12c.

Calves racing up and down the newly bedded fold just now feeling good.Almost no coughing so pneumonia  vaccine must have worked well.

A Happy New Year to everyone.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Mild, dry and breezy drive down to NW England-Shire today, where we're spending a few nights with the wife's family. 

Models continue to be almost unanimously boring for at least the next week. After that, it's still anyone's guess. I've always believed that if any interesting weather is going to happen then it'll be mid month onwards. Not due to any meteorological signals, but that's when the school prelims start, so bad weather then would cause maximum chaos. Still, doesn't stop me getting increasingly frustrated at the lack of anything really cold or snowy, either on the ground or in the forecast. 

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Another springlike day with a strong west wind and sunny intervals. Lots of washing hung out by Mrs Northernlights as I told her tomorrow will be cooler with less drying conditions. Currently 12c.

Typical just as we are about to wander down to our little community bonfire there is  a fresh wind from the NW with the temperature now  down to 6c and falling. Full winter gear on tonight.! See the odd light shower  on the radar to the north has turned to snow on the mountains to the north.

• Like 3

Posted

@Northernlights again, no I'm not stalking you!

Yep, temp dropping this evening, now just on 7C and may continue to fall through tomorrow. I hadn't been looking at the forecast at all the last few days but I did just now and looks like the temp drop is through till next week. We might not see >10C again for a while...

Happy New Year to all! My lesson from 2018 is to keep active to stay healthy. Easier said than done in some circumstances but it becomes more and more important as the years drift past. Like leaves rustling along the pavement. Better stop there I think!

Just looked and I see some of us have been on this forum for well over 10 years. Special greetings to you-know-who-you-are!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
12 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Is this usual?...…...We have had a steady migration of geese from Vane Farm bird sanctuary, on the banks of Loch Leven since late October and all of November.   This is usual.   However a couple of nights ago, a huge flock passed over the house flying south and again a gigantic flock this morning.   I don't recall ever seeing them leaving this late in the year in such big numbers.

Is it because of the mild December that they remained longer, or do they know something we don't?...….Asking for a friend!

Status quo in Costa Lochgelly:

untitled.png

I think you're right about the mild weather delaying the geese. Dunno if they 'know' something we don't, but the more I hear about bird behaviour, the less it seems we understand. Corvids in particular have some sort of avian intelligence but that's more to do with population ecology rather than anything specific re their environment. Intuition suggests that birds - maybe especially migratory ones - should have a good awareness of the weather. Some googling of academic papers might be rewarding.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Happy Hogmanay to all - here’s to 2019’s frisky cough free calves, returning geese, Costa Lochgelly’s Husband of the Year needing to dig out the snow drifts,  Mistyqueen’s house staying in one piece, Hairy Celt getting more than a bit of pish falling on his wood pile and all the happiness possible for everyone.  

Best wishes from the 13 year old nw veteran in temporary exile down south 

file

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Happy New Year all. 

By far the warmest day of December here was Hogmany with >12C. Hope that is not a sign of things to come.

SlainteMhath

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Happy New Year! 

I see that the new GFS variant went on a bender last night... 

gfsnh-0-348.thumb.png.3b063755b83d52200001fcb0021c13cb.png gfs-16-384.thumb.png.ef359b8619ea3a9fc9d5911d1528adfd.png

Bit of an outlier (Black & yellow line bouncing around the bottom of the graph below), but hopefully a sign of things to come. 

graphe3_1000___2.7397_57.265_.thumb.gif.9526efb2623ed49227d62b49b476fcf2.gif

Last nights ECM wasn't bad either. Not as extreme, but trying to bring in an easterly of sorts by day 10.

• Like 8

Posted

Much more seasonal this morning at 5c with a  fresh NW wind and overcast.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Fabulous bright and sunny day here, really lovely. I just need another gallon of tea before I can face it..

• Like 4

Posted

happy new year all.

sorry, can't find capitals button on this damn I pad!

had a quiet family Hogmanay last night which was enjoyable after the hectic schedule over the last few days.

lovely morning here too but can't bring pic up with this thing. Son has ambushed my laptop but will post again later when I have my familiar keyboard back!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted

See there are a line of snow showers across NE Scotland on the radar  just now with one just to east of me south of Forres/Elgin,  Currently overcast and 4c

• Like 2