IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Potentially...

clever

lets hope murrs sausage appears soon.... be nice to have a festive chill as a second best to snaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
52 minutes ago, Polar Gael said:

Its weight took out the gutters on one side of the garage.

The last time I lost gutters due to snow was 2009/2010 sometime. Does that mean we can add your broken gutters to the list of 'teleconnections' pointing to a similar winter outcome? 

45 minutes ago, ciel said:

Tried out the new Western Peripheral from Stonehaven for the first time but was completely bamboozeled in the Dyce area – went through the airport short stay car park and had to pay a couple of LSD to be released. 

No wonder you got lost. Dyce is confusing enough as it is, but if you were on LSD I'm not surprised you ended up in the short stay. Lucky having a few extra though to pay your way out. 

I think with the models at the moment the best strategy is to sit back, relax, enjoy, Xmas and hope that Jan brings the winter that everyone, including the MetO (albeit cautiously) seem to think is coming. Until then I'll keep scanning the model runs, but no point getting disappointed or stressed. Personally I know that the snow will arrive in strength around 2-3rd week of Jan anyway. Why? Well that's when most kids across Scotland sit thier prelim exams, so snow then would cause maximum mayhem. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Morning, that's me broken up for Crimbo, yeehaa! Setting off for Cornwall on Friday, intending to take part in the boxing day sea dip so hoping the sea temperature won't be too brutal. No chance of snow for me but will check in to see how you're all faring up here. Merry Xmas to all, have a great one

• Like 1

Posted

A cold night last night and the frost is not lifting in shaded areas.  Currently 3.5C, dry and dead calm - plenty of blue sky to be seen towards the E/NE but quite cloudy here with limited hazy sunshine.  All in all a good day to get things done before the chaos of the kids going on holiday this afternoon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
On 19/12/2018 at 20:16, Polar Gael said:

Ah, but is it 'stella' and 'nailded on' yet or still 'F1'? 

Or even FL as I have seen a few times recently.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Quinach said:

A cold night last night and the frost is not lifting in shaded areas.  Currently 3.5C, dry and dead calm - plenty of blue sky to be seen towards the E/NE but quite cloudy here with limited hazy sunshine.  All in all a good day to get things done before the chaos of the kids going on holiday this afternoon!

Same here fine day for working outside and both yesterday and today there were wintry looking showers out to the NE across the Firth making the horizon very colourful as the setting sun highlighted them in pink. In spite of the overnight frosts most of the bulbs are breaking the soil  surface so signs of spring already.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

Calm and cold here. Temp currently 2C and ground fog forming. It's going to be a cold one tonight.

Brrr...just before sundown and after moon up this afternoon.

948970881_moonrisesolstice03.thumb.jpg.a4df36f9197d455c1ad40ab82cad735d.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Sod the weather, woohoo, no more work until next year now. And hopefully if the SSW does the biz the return will be delayed. 

:ball-santa-emoji: :reindeer-emoji:

@Quinachhas covered the weather for here anyway, Frosty car scraping start and white patches hanging on in the shade. Coming home in the light for once I noticed a few patches of snow still clinging onto the north facing slopes of the hill, below 400m, probably where it had drifted deeper. 

• Like 1

I've been following  Weather Radar for a few years and find it invaluable for checking what is coming next in the way of rain.

Today on a couple of occasions I've seen some unexpectedly intense rainfall in North east Ayrshire.  I captured the rainfall as sequential still images and patched them into a short video.

The area of intense rainfall is South of East Kilbride and East of Kilmarnock. Typically 200- 270metres elevation. Temperature and Dewpoint about 6C - humidity probably>90%. Moderate West wind

The Arran hills to the west at 400-800m do not generate anything like the same intensity, nor those between Largs and Greenock. What is going on?

The high intensity rainfall is happening where the largest onshore UK windfarm is situated - Whitelee with well over 200 Turbines.

https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/whitelee/

I think this is a case of power generation actually altering local weather. Probably the turbulence from the turbines is resulting in mixing air masses close to the dew point. Enough to cause intense rain. 

I thought windfarms were claimed to have no effect on anything?  However watch this patch of Scotland and see how it pans out.

Interesting stuff?

Posted

3 hours ago, Paul said:

The most likely explanation is anaprop (false radar echoes) caused by the wind farm rather than rain.

There's more on this here

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/mohippo/pdf/j/h/fact_sheet_no._15.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjUvcWTu7HfAhUqSxUIHZXsDWQQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0oWfH_DNINCfxbAPOCWUtM

Thanks for the link. I'm aware of the false radar echos which can be occasionally generated, however this location really doesn't show up at all different unless there is moist air close to dewpoint being pushed through it . The most apparent intensity comes with the "low density pale blue" returns as they pass through this  location from west to east.  Cheers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! It's gone a bit quiet in here over the last couple of days! Everyone getting ready for the arrival of the fat man in the red coat, eh? Apart from that the weather has just been so, well, meh! Nothing to write home about, just flat and boring, dreich and dull. Never mind, shortest day has now passed and winter still has plenty of time to get its skates on! A few frosty days would be very welcome, maybe a big storm to blow the murk away and off course, a few inches of the white stuff would top it all off nicely! 

Off to chop some wood today and refill the bird feeders, they are such hungry wee things these days!

• Like 4

Posted

Well the Met Office automated forecast was hopeless for last night - was supposed to stay above freezing but in reality temperature got down to -4C. 

Everything covered in a very pretty coating of frost this morning and temperature currently -1.5C in dry calm conditions.  A little more sunshine and it has the makings of another lovely day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

On 19/12/2018 at 09:53, Stormeh said:

I think the models will start showing signs of proper cold and snow after a few more days.

There we go...

1411FB76-4F2C-4ECD-82F7-8972947D405F.thumb.png.0c8dda5fcfc4c9092cd69501466ee775.png

5B6974A4-6F66-4A99-B932-E04673FF3D25.thumb.png.669e75855ee09c8626b1e91cbd3cdd1b.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Afternoon all.

Head finally out of the baking oven!

As mistyqueen said, been pretty meh weatherwise here also.   Today, however, the sun has finally appeared and we have a current temp of 6.7c after an overnight low of 4c.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted

Just had an obviously Indian gentleman (called Mike) on the phone. Slightly more believable than the obviously Indian lady who called yesterday (called Daisy. (eh?) They announced that they were speaking from the 'Call Blocking Department'      So, that is TWO cold calling calls received by me in the space of 24hrs from the Call Blocking Department to offer me a package to stop cold calling I suppose!  .Is my zip showing?:reindeer-emoji:

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

A nippy afternoon, but OK for a brisk walk, with little wind and a temp of around 4C.  If winter has a redeeming factor (for me anyway) it is the quality of light in low sunshine  - when it is not actually dark, that is.:cc_confused:

There are some small patches of snow still clinging to east-facing slope of the Hill of Wirren.

1962167927_snowpatch.thumb.jpg.9def209b8b94ab0bf6f4c05c574b4577.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, Stormeh said:

There we go...

1411FB76-4F2C-4ECD-82F7-8972947D405F.thumb.png.0c8dda5fcfc4c9092cd69501466ee775.png

5B6974A4-6F66-4A99-B932-E04673FF3D25.thumb.png.669e75855ee09c8626b1e91cbd3cdd1b.png

Very similar on new 'parallel' GFS too,first real signs of something interesting in the right(ish) timescale for the expected SSW. Probably dissappear and reappear on and of for a while until the models lock on to the right pattern. 

Back to today, as @Quinachsaid, quite a frost here first thing, followed by a calm and almost sunny day (just a little too much high cloud). Looking like Xmas day will start similar here, with Xmas Eve forecast to barely get above freezing as a high. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Got back from a short stay in NW England yesterday. It was wet, sometimes very very wet on the motorway. Some drivers have remarkably good vision in such rain.

Better though was the drive back up through Perthshire late afternoon with the fading like on huge wrinkles of low cloud hanging over the hillsides. Really quite special.

Much colder at home than in Lancashire... Brrrrr!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

The MO had a 10% chance of rain from 3pm onwards today but there were a couple of heavy showers around 4/5, some of their short range forecasts have been a bit dodgy for me over the last few weeks often missing out on rain... got a good double rainbow over Motherwell earlier today though...

20181222_130316.jpg

Posted

Promising signs for Scotland on most of today's GFS runs in the long term. It is a first step in the right direction, even though we're talking about 300h+. 

I'm not an expert, but in these charts it looks like the PV is over our heads? In any case, charts are loaded with snow for Scotland. Lets hope the trend gets confirmed in the following runs

gfs-1-348.png

gfs-0-348.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Peeps! Another quiet day weather wise here, bits of blue sky showing through the cloud, currently 5c. Going to stay like this for the next few days, so more doggie walking I reckon!

Posted

Morning folks.

Another nice one.   Temp sitting at 1.7c and no lower than 1.4c overnight.   Calm.

Pic shows how low the sun is this time of year.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Another nice frosty morning here though the temp has crept up to 2C in the last hour. Grass still white though out of the sun.

Been a relatively dry month here with average temperatures though it was cloudy at times earlier in the month with the Easterly winds off the North Sea. I have not recorded 10 C so far this month though got pretty close with a 9.8C last week.