Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Bitterly cold all day today, it rained for a while then the ground froze, it was strangely crispy underfoot but still wet, eventually the white stuff arrived it was so good to see the snaw again I love it.

A few pics from my Dashcam's.

Kelty.thumb.JPG.a88824329a426cb2fea97e2236943ae3.JPG435378508_Kelty2.thumb.JPG.fa1942a7ef8d1dadf7d240860f7d429d.JPGKingseat.thumb.JPG.e0c60a2ff67369aa9715a554f49bd1b6.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
6 hours ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Where are you getting the info as it’s looking like rain only in Edinburgh ☔

It did indeed snow for about an hour between 19.30 and 20.30. Even started settling on the cars parked outside. 

Ground temperatures were low enough all day, all we needed was for the 850hpa temps to fall to zero and this was predicted to happen around 7-8 o'clock this evening.  

• Like 4

Posted

Heavy hail shower there on the walk home from my 'pish amber warning' visit to the pub! Whoopie!

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A decent wee dump of the snaw once it got going after dark. Horrible 'wintry mix' until then. 3" level and still going. Couple of snaps from Comrie and a wee festive one from Crieff. 

IMG_20181215_2323198.jpg

IMG_20181215_2323053.jpg

IMG-20181215-WA0000.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Rather surprised to look out the window to see a half inch blanket that's accumulated in the last wee while. Plenty precipitation through out the evening but it just took too long to turn. Likely be gone by the morning as the temp begins to gradually rise overnight. Expected a little bit more being at 200m asl within the amber warning for snow but can't win them all. Certainly more promising looking forward by the looks of it. 

• Like 4

Posted

Enjoyed the disco snow posts A totty wee cover here, late October was more generous. Nice seeing many saw more action. Power went out for a bit earlier, being prized away from technology for a bit is always a welcomed gift 

• Like 3

Posted

Yesterday turned out as expected in my opinion. When The met office started to mention freezing rain then any accumulated snow would be a bonus. It snowed quite heavily early in the morning leaving a covering on most surfaces. I wasn't able to measure until late last night with up to a cm of frozen slush. Nothing spectacular but at least it's a start. With frontal snowfalls you can be sure of how much snow you'll get - if any at all as there've been a number of occasions when a promising forecast delivers nothing. When you end up on the right side in a marginal set-up then it can be snow galore though frustratingly often the snow disappears as wifely as it arrives - it'd be nice to have a few days of crisp winter sunshine following the snow instead of the mist and murk of the thaw. 

I'm not sure how much freezing rain fell yesterday - all I can say is that the rain did sound a little like a hail at times. I can't think of too much freezing rain events - I remember some rain which later froze in late November 2012 and Christmas Day 2010 was the most notable example of rain falling with temperstures below freezing at the surface. Thankfully, yesterday appears to have turned out like a proper ice storm though still very treacherous nonetheless.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lovely bright morning and although only 2C at 9am it didn't feel cold at all. Wind has really died down again but sadly almost all of the snow from last night has thawed as expected. Here's the best I can do, taken from our back garden looking further up the hill. 

IMG_20181216_095942.thumb.jpg.d94aed21f41bfae48cf8fbf2f65ba0b9.jpg

IMG_20181216_095916.thumb.jpg.2d205be5ed09818fc338c935c083fe78.jpgAngst in the model thread first thing this morning as the chances of a flurry or two over Xmas seem to have receded. We'll see, plenty of time yet for that to change, especially for us. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

I was gonna head up the hill first thing but it's 3C and the snow is therefore that horrid slippy stuff.....but with the added interest of a layer of ice beneath. Horrid to walk on so I'm content to gawp out the window. Car's still covered in glaze despite the thaw.

P1020094.jpg

P1020095.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
9 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Aww, I spent the first four years of my life there. Lovely wee place

It holds a special place for me too. My parents moved here in 2004. I drove up to see them Christmas Eve that year from London. It started snowing just as I was coming into town (whilst listening to ‘I’m driving home for christmas’) and the snow carried on into Christmas Day. A true white Christmas ❄️ Lovely place 

Edited by c00ps
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
4 minutes ago, c00ps said:

It holds a special place for me too. My parents moved here in 2004. I drove up to see them Christmas Eve that year from London. It started snowing just as I was coming into town (whilst listening to ‘I’m driving home for christmas’) and the snow carried on into Christmas Day. A true white Christmas ❄️ Lovely place 

Was that the year when it was very windy too? Or maybe that was the year before, I can't remember. But I do remember driving back to Edinburgh from Killearn (first visit in more than 20 years!) on Christmas Eve in one of those years and there being snow

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Was that the year when it was very windy too? Or maybe that was the year before, I can't remember. But I do remember driving back to Edinburgh from Killearn (first visit in more than 20 years!) on Christmas Eve in one of those years and there being snow

I think it was quite wet and windy on the drive. A bit like the set up we’ve had this weekend I think. Where the rain turned to snow in some places. I also remember visiting my brother near Glasgow in the late 90’s (maybe 96/97) and Christmas Day was raining all day then around 7pm it turned to heavy snow and covered everywhere white. Another white Christmas. Scotland’s been good to me on my Christmas visits 

Edited by c00ps
  • Like 1

Well the rain is killing my beautiful Snaw... oh well kids Sunday fry up done all cleaned away and now time to prep roast dinner before i tackle the pile of ironing that ive allowed to build up this week. and yes all doom and gloom over in the nut house. the hunt for cold is over. and the bbc have gone a put the mockers on it by saying a good chance of cold and snaw over xmas period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

A lovely calm day here with temp sitting at 4.2c and almost no wind from an SSW direction.  What little snow(?) we did get eventually, is still lying in the shady parts.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Snow did eventually start mixing in with the rain/sleet/hail/ice last night after midnight, very fine small flakes, was nice to see but hopefully the next snowfall chance this winter will deliver for the more low lying members like myself, was nice to see @More Snow and his family and some others in here got enough snow for some lovely photos   ❄️

current conditions here

Temp 5.4 1000.38 hPa Rising rainfall today 4.8 mm

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Snow did eventually start mixing in with the rain/sleet/hail/ice last night after midnight, very fine small flakes, was nice to see but hopefully the next snowfall chance this winter will deliver for the more low lying members like myself, was nice to see @More Snow and his family and some others in here got enough snow for some lovely photos   ❄️

current conditions here

Temp 5.4 1000.38 hPa Rising rainfall today 4.8 mm

Slow thaw today and max temp of 4c, still have snaw on the ground and i would say 90% cover in tact. so im calling that a snaw day. not a bad start to winter but im expecting lots lots lots more in the coming months and i do hope that at some stage everybody in this thread gets to join in the fun and games.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
43 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

A fine end to the day up here. Currently 2.8C and oddly calm after yesterday's shenanigans.

P1020103.jpg

Was just thinking the same - all is still.

Sheer bliss - finally feeling very festive! ☃️❄️

Counting down the days/weeks until the next snowfall - hopefully this Winter is filled with countrywide snow events for us all!

Cheers everyone - have a good night!

39EA78DA-B556-48E2-B2D5-AA4E4E57EEDE.jpeg

• Like 6