Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
18 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I don't remember ever seeing a warning for freezing rain never mind an amber! From a weather perspective I'm much more interested in this developing than a fleeting wet snow event! 

Freezing rain was included in the Red warning for Storm Emma combo with Beast from the East in March, but there was a lot of snow as well. https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8768-sw-britain-blizzards-red-warning-and-freezing-rain-worries---storm-emma 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

My only experience of freezing rain was in Wales in about 1987, 1988 maybe.  I was on a motorbike and I don't need to tell you how it ended.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

I'd imagine freezing rain will be something that the UK would struggle badly with if it's actually as widespread as the warnings suggest.There would be a lot of power cuts and car crashes if heavily populated areas get it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Image of Amber snow warning for Saturday, to go with existing rain, wind, snow and ICE warnings 

1412snowmoIN.png

Posted
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

My only experience of freezing rain was in Wales in about 1987, 1988 maybe.  I was on a motorbike and I don't need to tell you how it ended.

Oh please tell us 

• Like 2

Posted

A real winters day today. Felt very cold in the breeze, car refroze by mid morning and the ground stayed frozen anywhere the pale, barely there sun didn't reach. 

Not sure how tomorrow will pan out. I still think I am too far west for anything other than good old fashioned wet rain. However I may be surprised. Never experienced proper, extensive freezing rain. 

Still no winter tyres. They have finally been declared lost by DPD. Hopefully a new set on their way to arrive at the beginning of the week.

Edited by JamesM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

latest GFS rolling out and a snow bullseye for us Fifers / Perth with 10+cm widely if its correct @Blitzen @Big Innes Madori  @Benvironment

gfs-16-36.thumb.png.4a802c83c76a955f21278efc80859f4b.pnggfs-16-30.thumb.png.9dbb60b99dadae7c98a3f371346f185a.png30-780UK.thumb.gif.a34ce950ce05bb2958e3d1543889eb77.gif33-780UK.thumb.gif.2898346605c322e7e758172ad7d0d8e9.gif 

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
9 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

latest GFS rolling out and a snow bullseye for us Fifers / Perth with 10+cm widely if its correct @Blitzen @Big Innes Madori  @Benvironment

gfs-16-36.thumb.png.4a802c83c76a955f21278efc80859f4b.pnggfs-16-30.thumb.png.9dbb60b99dadae7c98a3f371346f185a.png30-780UK.thumb.gif.a34ce950ce05bb2958e3d1543889eb77.gif33-780UK.thumb.gif.2898346605c322e7e758172ad7d0d8e9.gif 

That will do me KW!

A shame it will be short lived though.

Big Innes 

• Like 3

Posted

Yes a true winters day with frost persisting in most areas with a maximum temperature of 2c. Currently partly cloudy and already -1c

Posted
6 minutes ago, mardatha said:

If Fife gets snow and I don't, I WILL NOT BE HAPPY

Its the ARPEGE and HIRLAM you want to verify for your area 

tempresult_jra2.thumb.gif.ea5a5a92322f31c623ac08f983b43e7c.gif

hirlamuk-45-48-0.thumb.png.e7667514a186b5709047f0811bf8d36f.pngarpegeuk-45-39-0.thumb.png.789b7a5c7ec46c559a2c84eec1621bcb.png

tempresult_bao4.thumb.gif.25885edb25e52836da2e403cc7936b1e.gif

A new game show for the chance to win tons eh snaw or nae snaw ataw starts tomorrow across Scotland snaw.thumb.png.38a99aaa2dfa963552f097f17560603f.png which will you get? look ootside yer windae the morn and find oot 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We need to go up to Edinburgh in the morning, hope the moor stays open to get back home.

Then after that. it can snaw for a week!

• Like 1

Posted

As 101N said, think i'd like to see proper freezing rain rather than a damp cold sleety affair here in Edinburgh, something ive seen only once before and it was both amazing and terryfying in equal measure (remember ice coming off telegraph poles)

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Ross90 said:

I'd imagine freezing rain will be something that the UK would struggle badly with if it's actually as widespread as the warnings suggest.There would be a lot of power cuts and car crashes if heavily populated areas get it.

I'm guessing based on your name that you were born in 1990 so you may have missed the freezing rain (or extremely severe icing) in Motherwell that happened on New years Day 1991. I was at a party in house near The Bently Hotel and awoke with a hangover which wasn't about to help me home. I was staying at the bottom of Ladywell Road. Basically it was all downhill from the party to a home. It was early so there were no cars about. Myself and my friend slid down the road as it was safer than the pavement. I had a look at some archive weather charts but couldn't work out if it was freezing rain or not! Help?

Thankfully @Hairy Celt I've have never had the pleasure of riding any of my motorbikes on black ice. I have quite a few times cycling and one minute you are upright and the next your head is hitting the ground. I have took the motorbike out in snow on the odd occasion. Mostly by accident though none thankfully happened. In February 2013 I went to Elgin from Glasgow. I thought I'd take the scenic route via Glenshee Ski Centre and it was snow free until I started to climb to the resort. It wasn't so bad at the summit but as I picked my way through skiers crossing the road. It was then I clocked a police 4x4 with one of the officers with his head in his hands and gesticulating towards me like I was a mad man. To be fair he was right. The conditions to the north got worse. I had a few sketchy moments but thankfully never came off. Photo was taken somewhere outside Dufftown while I was taking a breather and gathering my thoughts.

Stay safe out there tomorrow whatever mode of transport you choose!

P1050344.JPG

Edited by chemikal
crap at spell checking
  • Like 4

Posted

hard to tell where will be the best placed for snow tomorrow, some from the 18z, think it will be a nowcasting situation

24-780UK.thumb.gif.dfbf8f4f5f624827d7a6ca5ec82df29f.gif 27-780PUK.thumb.gif.703a4ac4a5b77b1a25ef7eb327576154.gifgfs-16-24.thumb.png.a5cb429293608d5261b16aebd97b03ba.pnggfs-16-30.thumb.png.a2e27216426da55672d8a44779b3854f.pngarpegeuk-45-37-0.thumb.png.64f483a14809d7575f6534763c436d4d.pngtempresult_xop7.thumb.gif.e90dfcb37f661b4fd25fa7a5bc2dd478.gif   

HIRLAM has some snow showers / flurries scattered across the country from early tomorrow morning before the main action later in the day tempresult_dsr8.thumb.gif.bdeb335631b319cc2f80d603c2e352ae.gif  

tempresult_ovr3.thumb.gif.a78b19b827f2a1745f5aa6fc7b1d359c.gif

ICON is the worst of the bunch from an IMBY point of view (Fife snow shield fully operational) 

iconeu_uk1-45-38-0.thumb.png.b969757d78edd9d75df3a2e87d6ffd9b.png 

we all end up with at least a temporary covering and can get some decent snow pics and hopefully this is just the starter with lots more snow to come this winter 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Evening all! I've been busy moving house and dealing with work and the umpteen school related christmas shenanigans to follow the weather the past week or two, so this has caught me unawares until now. 

@Kirkcaldy Weather - looking at the above am I right to assume this will be a later afternoon thing tomorrow? ie if I wanted to get some shopping done I'd be better off first thing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

My time with freezing rain was not as bad as it might have been. As I approached the disaster zone (somewhere on the A44) I could see a Hilux sliding diagonally, slowly across the road ahead. Hmm, doesn't look good. By the time I fell off, I'd slowed to about 30mph and the was no major damage - scratched mirrors and levers, bruised knees on the cylinder heads as usual (CX500, thanks OEH 591W).

Even with winter tyres on the car tomorrow, I will only be going out on foot.  Or take my (pedal-powered) bike into the woods.

I still can't see it with the uppers so mild.

@Kirkcaldy Weather - posting those charts is appreciated, makes life so much easier for lazy sods like me!

Cocteau Twins this evening with Ms HC out being sociable. Blue Bell Knoll - a favourites from late 80s. Amazing soundscape.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
22 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather - looking at the above am I right to assume this will be a later afternoon thing tomorrow? ie if I wanted to get some shopping done I'd be better off first thing?

Yes it looks like there will be a front which will cross the country through tomorrow morning which could give a flurry / snow shower just about anywhere and then the low and its associated fronts will move in from lunchtime onwards estimate from me for the arrival of the low/fronts would be around 12/1pm in the west moving east through the rest of the day / evening 

Untitled.thumb.png.5381af2c6cafd96e37efbf00a732eb2a.png

fax.thumb.png.8ccb3d05418879779a392dee7d104a98.png

20 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather - posting those charts is appreciated, makes life so much easier for lazy sods like me!

no worries I enjoy posting these kinds of charts especially when snow is involved ❄️ ?️

current conditions here 

Temp 2.9 C Dew Point -1.5 C pressure 1017.71 hPa Falling Rapidly

• Like 3

Posted

Really wild out there today with a gale force SE wind and currently 2c so stunning . Cattle very happy to be inside. Dust flying around. RH 34%

A day for feeding cattle only and then into house to do end of year paperwork if electricity does not go off as its flickering quite a bit.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
8 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

@Kirkcaldy Weather - posting those charts is appreciated, mkes life so much easier for lazy sods like me!

Cocteau Twins this evening with Ms HC out being sociable. Blue Bell Knoll - a favourites from late 80s. Amazing soundscape.

I like the Cocteau Twins myself! Garlands being a personal favourite. Ever listen to 'Lowlife' the band the bassist Will Heggie formed when he left the Twins? Brilliant band. Different sound but one of my favourite Scottish bands.

• Like 2

Posted

Frost free, still and cloudy this morning. Temp still dropping - about 2c at the minute. Curious what later brings.