Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Just like a day in late spring with grond drying up rapidly . Been a strange old year for weather.

Speaking to a hay customer who is a private jet pilot about the topsy turvey atmosphere and he was telling me about a fairly new flying problem they have had in the last few years.They normally fly at about 40000 feet but have suddenly hit pockets of much warmer air that will not support the aircraft which would stall . All the warning instruments come on and they have to drop quickly about 5000 feet to get colder air to support the aircraft. This according to him is not usual and is maybe another sign of a disturbed atmosphere.

Not an expert but perhaps another sign of climate change

I find this fascinating, despite a love of aviation I had no idea that there was an impact due to air temp... I will need to go google

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

Looks good for a day out does that. not over priced either. cheers.

keep an eye on groupon…… comes on every year at various times at around £13 for a family ticket.....im normally there twice a year...….

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not a good day to be up in the hills. Just a tad breezy.

Forecast to be pretty much the same tomorrow and worse on Saturday.

9BAFA1BF-F9BC-4CE9-A4FD-B8A346612E69.png

Posted
1 hour ago, edo said:

keep an eye on groupon…… comes on every year at various times at around £13 for a family ticket.....im normally there twice a year...….

We have been going since it was the old wooden shed with gas heaters that made no difference at all, 2009 was particularly brutal, seem to recall -15 inside the hut. Very different now, and the food is excellent.

Cold bitey wind outside, need to go warm the car up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Work Xmas party for me tomorrow (groan) some snow would be welcome for Saturday. A good excuse to laze around nursing my head. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Lol. Snow and ice warning from the MO for me for Saturday. Hell will freeze over first. Some rural communities could be cut off, they say. What they mean is, we're all on the laughing gas here in Exeter, Emilia has just hit the wrong button on the control panel and you're all going to die!!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Heavy snow for this postcode but turning to rain on Sun morning when the temp goes up to 3C.

Posted

I'm increasingly seeing a wintry second half to December for anyway with a bit of height in Scotland, much more in the way of polar maritime air and north westerly influence. Good for the ski resorts.

• Like 5

Posted
22 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Euro4 is very bullish about the snow prospects for tomorrow, this was a bit of a surprise to wake up to:

1412e41.thumb.jpg.7f57b9151d8cd24a7e7a4215fea05952.jpg1412e42.thumb.jpg.8f401691029b0c7b94c4f65dbe12223c.jpg1412e43.thumb.jpg.87bcbf2e08e89e7218964ea96b04492b.jpg1412e44.thumb.jpg.ea7c10d9b2a2c8bc22d6595d28c32119.jpg

An utter pasting for some parts...if it is right.

It also shows why this is very marginal for Edinburgh / Eastern coastal areas and why I'm not expecting much here. Previous similar setups have generally yielded hee haw. I'll not have to drive far though

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted

I've given up on it, don't think it's going to snow in Edinburgh. Upper temperatures are shooting up to +3 right above the city tomorrow afternoon, so if it snows I will be very surprised. Rain could potentially turn back into sleet/wet now through the night into sunday if ground temperatures stay low enough

There could also be a couple of flurries around midday tomorrow. But that's about as interesting as it gets. Then we're back to mild and wet, with temps up to 10 degrees on tuesday :( 

Interesting developments are appearing on the models around Christmas

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Dunno what yer Mannie oan the Beeb is on! I've looked at three online forecasts for the weekend and none of them predict snaw for my area. Sure, the mountains will get a taste of it but we're just forecast for sleet and rain and strong winds. A normal December day really. Current temp is 4.1c, so getting chillier by the minute. :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

HURRAH!!! We've finally gone subzero up on the hill for the first time since the spring!  Low of -1.1C this morning, with a stunning sunrise to match  It's about bloody time!

P1010822.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Hi all

Looking forward to some potential white stuff tomorrow.  I'll only ever believe it when I see it here however   Fingers crossed we get something on the ground which would be rather nice.  Good luck to everyone in your snow chase!

Tim

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

I've given up on it, don't think it's going to snow in Edinburgh. Upper temperatures are shooting up to +3 right above the city tomorrow afternoon, so if it snows I will be very surprised. Rain could potentially turn back into sleet/wet now through the night into sunday if ground temperatures stay low enough

There could also be a couple of flurries around midday tomorrow. But that's about as interesting as it gets. Then we're back to mild and wet, with temps up to 10 degrees on tuesday

Interesting developments are appearing on the models around Christmas

These setups are next to useless round these parts. We might get snow from 1 in 10 frontal situations where a system meets cold air. I'd almost prefer a cold undercut with rain turning to snow. We do quite well from those situations up the hill here. 

That being said I'll still be eagerly watching things unfold tomorrow - hoping against hope  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

My daughter is driving up from Glasgow to Dundee tomorrow and has asked if there could be problems with snow. I said she should try to get past Blackford to Broxden by early afternoon and she should be fine. Apparently she can’t leave too early as out on the razzle  tonight. Any thoughts? 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Norrance said:

My daughter is driving up from Glasgow to Dundee tomorrow and has asked if there could be problems with snow. I said she should try to get past Blackford to Broxden by early afternoon and she should be fine. Apparently she can’t leave too early as out on the razzle  tonight. Any thoughts? 

Yes!

I wish I was out the razzle tonight 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
2 hours ago, Cheggers said:

Brrrr -4 when I got in the car at 8am. 5 live reporter suggest possible significant falls for the Central Belt, will wait and see.

I got in my car and it refused to start. It's meant to be driving us down to Cornwall on Friday and garage can't look at it until Wednesday. Not panicking at all. 

• Like 1

Posted

Tomorrow is shaping up to be interesting in terms of snow potential. Despite a rather quiet atlantic during the autumn - other than a couple of storms in September -  we haven't had many opportunities for snow so far this season. Other than a couple of attempts at an easterly we've struggled to find the breakthrough in the stalemate despite the potential for blocking. It's been fairly average temperature wise with some frosts - The lowest temperature this season so far came in late October with  -5C being the lowest temperature in October since 2002 a few weeks after the joint warmest high - almost matching the swift transition between winter and summer early this year. With cold air not too faraway it only takes a small tweak for a favourable outcome and it seems Saturday could be a prime example of this with the first widespread snow of the season. Last winter really didn't get going for snow until after Christmas with a frontal snow event at the end if the month, before that there had been some snow since late November - the models promised a lot for early December, in the end it was pretty cold for a few days with Parts if a England getting most of the snow. 

Hopefully tomorrow will at least produce the first snow of the season though there is the potential for more. It's one of those marginal set-ups which will either bring a brief  period of mostly wet snow before turning back to rain, or a more prolonged and significant event with decent accumulations. I'm hoping for the latter but expecting the former - a little bit of height can make all the difference. Last year had the first measurable December snow event since 2012 - the last time snow lay on the ground in the first half of December. It would be a great start to winter if tomorrow delivers though if it doesn't we've got plenty of time ahead for further opportunities - significant snowfalls are more likely in spring than before Christmas. The models have some interest going forward with tentative signs of something seasonal around Christmas and the background signals look pretty promising into the new year. 2018 will be difficult to top after an almost perfect and eventful flow of the weather during the first 7 months progressing dramatically from a seasonal, long, snowy winter to a long warm, dry summer. The transition was almost continental like with only four months between the epic beast from the east in late February to record heat in late June with only a few weeks of normal Spring weather inbetween. Last winter was brilliant in terms of the number and frequency of decent snow events climaxing in late Feb/early Mar - easily the best winter since the 2010. The one thing last year didn't have and 09/10 and 10/11 did have was a prolonged period of notable winter weather - the last notable cold spell of length was March 2013 - it would be great if we could have a 2010' like spell in January - besides 2010 we're overdue a notable January (and February) for cold and snow.

• Like 7

Posted

Latest Met warning has significantly cut back on snow potential but we now have an Amber for freezing rain. Looks more of a rain to possibly snow event for many. Who knows what will happen - the forecasts are a mess! North of the Central belt looks a better bet for snow. 

warning.thumb.png.93e32df0870e2cfe9ef1f36e38ba8ecc.png

AMBER:

Heavy freezing rain is expected to develop during Saturday. This will result in the rapid formation of widespread ice on roads, pavements, trees and other structures. Freezing rain is rare in the United Kingdom but when it does occur the impacts can be very severe. This is due to the fact that it can form very quickly, it can be difficult to see and is incredibly slippery. Some sleet and snow is possible over the very highest ground and the freezing rain may also be followed by a spell of sleet and snow as the precipitation clears from the west. The freezing rain and sleet and snow will be accompanied by strong southeasterly winds which will pose an additional hazard to travel, in particular over high ground.

The YELLOW warning still has the potential for snow but appears to be on the back edge:

Freezing rain is expected to develop during Saturday, lasting into the early hours of Sunday. This may result in the formation of ice on roads, pavements, trees and other structures. Freezing rain is rare in the United Kingdom, but when it does occur impacts can be severe. This is due to the fact that it can form very quickly, it can be difficult to see, and is incredibly slippery. Freezing rain is likely to change to snow before it dies out across parts of Scotland, bringing some accumulations of 2-5 cm. The freezing rain and snow will be accompanied by strong southeasterly winds which will pose an additional hazard to travel, in particualr over high ground.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

This is a 1st I think? An amber for freezing rain? Proper freezing rain is amazing, it turns all greenery a purple black colour.

I don't remember ever seeing a warning for freezing rain never mind an amber! From a weather perspective I'm much more interested in this developing than a fleeting wet snow event! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber snow warning out

Between 09:00 Sat 15th and 08:00 Sun 16th

Heavy snow and blizzards bringing disruption to travel and infrastructure.

What to expect

• Travel delays on roads are likely, stranding some vehicles and passengers
  • Some delays and cancellations to rail travel are likely
  • There is a good chance that some rural communities could become cut off
  • Power cuts are likely and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected

Regions and local authorities affected:

• Central, Tayside & Fife
  • Grampian
  • Highlands & Eilean Siar
  • Strathclyde

Further details

A period of prolonged and heavy snow is expected to develop through Saturday morning, before clearing from the west through Sunday morning. 5-10 cm of snow is likely widely across the area, whilst some areas could see 20 cm, perhaps as much as 40cm over higher ground. Strong south-esaterly winds will lead to temporary blizzard conditions as well as drifting of lying snow.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-12-15&id=b6f9bd80-c4b8-403b-bd31-33a6f6d4d9c6