Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@Norrance what do you reckon at Piperdam with 100m elevation.... wet snow possibility  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
11 minutes ago, edo said:

@Norrance what do you reckon at Piperdam with 100m elevation.... wet snow possibility  

They often have snow there (one of my ex colleagues lived there until recently) when Dundee doesn’t but whether the extra bit of height overcomes the proximity to the North Sea I don’t know. Wouldn’t be surprised if at least some if not all  of the precipitation over Saturday night there is snow.

ps Where’s @Hawesy? He is good at predicting where the snow line will fall?

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Norrance said:

ps Where’s @Hawesy?

Winter doesn't really start until we have one of his snow depth estimate posts

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
6 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Winter doesn't really start until we have one of his snow depth estimate posts

@Hawesy is probably in the same head space as me. So ignoring all this nonsense cos the best we'll get is wet.

In fact I see he's not been around for a few weeks. Probably gone somewhere warm 

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted

Automated forecasts are fair chopping and changing. At the start of the week the BBC said snow on Saturday for me but the Met Office wasn't having any of it. Now the Met Office say snow but the BBC is going for a day of rain. 

My feeling is that I am too far south and west to see any snow but I do have a little elevation so who knows. This years winter tyres are currently lost in transit anyway so happy to leave the fun until January.

Been a grey week so far. A little sun today when I was in Kilmarnock and mild at 10c according to the car. Pretty grey though when I headed to Glasgow later. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Fingers crossed for some snow, if only to give me a reason to move from the news channel to the weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Fingers crossed for some snow, if only to give me a reason to move from the news channel to the weather. 

The news channel tonight moved me swiftly to the drinks cabinet!

• Like 4

Posted

Expecting yellow met office warnings tomorrow morning for snow over much of Scotland away from far western coastal parts, from about 21:00 Friday until 09:00 Sunday, it will probably be along the lines of -a frontal system moving into cold air will produce a mix of rain, sleet and snow. Expect up to 2-5 cms on ground above 150m, with totals over 10 cms above 300 metres, The heaviest snow most likely in central and western parts. In coastal and lower levels it will be a mix of rain or sleet. This warning may upgrade if precipitation is forecast to be heavier than currently expected and longer lasting.

Expect the warning will extend to cover much of NE England, Pennine locations and Cumbria.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

@Hawesy is probably in the same head space as me. So ignoring all this nonsense cos the best we'll get is wet.

In fact I see he's not been around for a few weeks. Probably gone somewhere warm 

he is scared to come out.... he heard you are even grumpier this year

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Was hoping to purchase some Scotland Snow Shield Strengthener solution and use it in Scotland for this weekend. But sadly, the Scottish Weather Shop refused to sell me any, so won’t be able to carry out my evil plan!

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Changing part of the post
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, edo said:

he is scared to come out.... he heard you are even grumpier this year

He's not wrong. Insomnia doesn't help either.

Posted
8 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Expecting yellow met office warnings tomorrow morning

A sure confirmation of a non-event

Posted
6 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

He's not wrong. Insomnia doesn't help either.

Ever try a melatonin supplement? I bought some in the US on a work trip on the advice of a colleague and they really helped my sleep.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Noticeably chillier this morning, currently at 6.2c with a very nippy wind! As for snaw, I'm not expecting any so I won't be disappointed! Gorgeous sunrise a wee while ago 

IMG_20181213_083706.jpg

IMG_20181213_083555.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Strong gusty SE wind off the mountains this morning drying everything up very rapidly especially with an RH of 22%  with dust blowing about. We have had almost no muddy days so far and we keep on getting closer to next summer and another potential drought. 75 and 76 were both very dry summers so it has happened before.

Fabulous sunrise and currently 3.5c

• Like 2

Posted

As expected the warning has been issued. Interested in the bit highlighted below:

There is a risk of snow developing with strong southeasterly winds affecting northern UK on Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning. The snow could be heavy at times, especially over hills where blizzards may develop, and is likely to drift in strong winds. Across northern England and southern Scotland, snow may turn to freezing rain above 200-300 metres leading to widespread ice developing on Saturday night. 2-5 cm of snow is likely at lower levels, whilst higher ground could see 10-20 cm.

Should this read 'below 200-300m' or is there expected to be a temp inversion of some sort?

• Like 1

Posted

Just like a day in late spring with grond drying up rapidly . Been a strange old year for weather.

Speaking to a hay customer who is a private jet pilot about the topsy turvey atmosphere and he was telling me about a fairly new flying problem they have had in the last few years.They normally fly at about 40000 feet but have suddenly hit pockets of much warmer air that will not support the aircraft which would stall . All the warning instruments come on and they have to drop quickly about 5000 feet to get colder air to support the aircraft. This according to him is not usual and is maybe another sign of a disturbed atmosphere.

Not an expert but perhaps another sign of climate change

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, More Snow said:

SNAW day Saturday. :cold-emoji:

If it does, will need to make our annual pilgrimage to Auchengarrich, only ever seem to go when it's cold and white. Will wave at you from the hill

Whoop Whoop, 6 hours of heavy snaw.....

image.thumb.png.274a704653aa7ea2981c6839ce7ef75a.png

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Just like a day in late spring with grond drying up rapidly . Been a strange old year for weather.

Speaking to a hay customer who is a private jet pilot about the topsy turvey atmosphere and he was telling me about a fairly new flying problem they have had in the last few years.They normally fly at about 40000 feet but have suddenly hit pockets of much warmer air that will not support the aircraft which would stall . All the warning instruments come on and they have to drop quickly about 5000 feet to get colder air to support the aircraft. This according to him is not usual and is maybe another sign of a disturbed atmosphere.

Not an expert but perhaps another sign of climate change

Changes of temperature at a fixed altitude are not uncommon though. Certainly modern passenger jet engines have superchargers to maintain the density of the air entering the engines should they hit a patch of higher temperatures and therefore less dense air.

21 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

If it does, will need to make our annual pilgrimage to Auchengarrich, only ever seem to go when it's cold and white. Will wave at you from the hill

Whoop Whoop, 6 hours of heavy snaw.....

image.thumb.png.274a704653aa7ea2981c6839ce7ef75a.png

If ya make it and you need a warm up pop in for a cuppa. just checked it out on google maps and it looks as if its just south west of my location, if i go to the top of my garden i will probably be able to see you waving, but then again there will be a blizzard going on so visibility will be poor.

Posted
7 minutes ago, More Snow said:

If ya make it and you need a warm up pop in for a cuppa. just checked it out on google maps and it looks as if its just south west of my location, if i go to the top of my garden i will probably be able to see you waving, but then again there will be a blizzard going on so visibility will be poor.

Well worth a trip http://www.auchingarrich.co.uk/ views are stunning on a clear day.