Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

38 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Yes, I feel like I'm on my own in that thread. I hope it snows just in Scotland next weekend with rain in England so I can annoy them with some snowy pics 

im in there with you.. my camera is ready for action. it can snaw in England but the problem starts when it hasnt snawed in London. if that dont happen the snaw dont count anywhere..

Posted
29 minutes ago, More Snow said:

im in there with you.. my camera is ready for action. it can snaw in England but the problem starts when it hasnt snawed in London. if that dont happen the snaw dont count anywhere..

Snow at low levels in Scotland is quite rare, but our odds are still much better than London's. Especially with the heat island created by the city. So I guess we should consider ourselves lucky. Is anyone else from the Edinburgh area here? 

GFS 18 not looking great, but I'm still confident that it will change. Let's hope to see some exciting updates tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

it looks sadly like ECM was an outlier.... should know by tomorrow night whether we have a realistic shout for Saturday 

Edited by edo

Posted
2 hours ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Is anyone else from the Edinburgh area here?

I'm from Currie. There's a good Edinburgh contingent on here, especially during a good cold spell.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all. I see from the Beeb that Grangemouth has heavy snaw for Saturday, if it is true inland should do well with a little height.

Shepards warning yesterday morning....

IMG_20181210_081729.thumb.jpg.4edd94d38381a7a5faedc3075f967d58.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning folks.....

Erm...YUK!    just about sums it up this morning!   3.3c dead flat calm under full cloud.  

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

on a knife edge this weekend... unless u have decent elevation you wont know if its going to snow until it snows i reckon 

• Like 3

Posted

every year .. I will not go into Model thread .. i will not get my hopes up for snow and believe every roller coaster run 

every year , I need to go into Model thread .. i need to know if it will snow .. 

this is is my winter state of mind 

Anyhoo weather is p!sh in Glasgow .. dark , gray and 7 degrees .. :(

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, CoastRainbow said:

every year .. I will not go into Model thread .. i will not get my hopes up for snow and believe every roller coaster run 

every year , I need to go into Model thread .. i need to know if it will snow .. 

this is is my winter state of mind 

Anyhoo weather is p!sh in Glasgow .. dark , gray and 7 degrees ..

Same in Edinburgh. I'm still optimistic for Saturday.

I use an Italian website to see ecmwf forecasts, it's actually quite accurate and has been right on numerous occasions where metoffice and BBC have failed. It also shows the height of the 0°C isotherm and the snow level.

Quite unusually, sea level temperatures are set to remain close to zero even though the 0°C level rises temporarily to over 2000 metres. If the 850temps manage to stay below zero, snow could continue throughout the day. 

Screenshot_20181211-151305.png

Edited by edinburgh_1992
  • Like 2

Posted

Edimburgo

i like it 

i feel more positive tonight of seeing snow this weekend.... not so sure it will lie or may be very wet snow but should see first flakes of the season  

Posted

Feeling less optimistic to be honest. Ecmwf 12 is a downgrade, and gfs18 and GFS parallel 18 are showing uppers way too warm for snow. Looking at this for Saturday morning, there seems to be a pocket of warm air right above Edinburgh. Quite a weird situation, there is still time for it to be changed (hopefully!). Worst case scenario, we'll be getting a lot of cold rain as ground temperatures stay close to freezing throughout Saturday. 

84-7UK.gif

Posted
55 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Feeling less optimistic to be honest. Ecmwf 12 is a downgrade, and gfs18 and GFS parallel 18 are showing uppers way too warm for snow. Looking at this for Saturday morning, there seems to be a pocket of warm air right above Edinburgh. Quite a weird situation, there is still time for it to be changed (hopefully!). Worst case scenario, we'll be getting a lot of cold rain as ground temperatures stay close to freezing throughout Saturday. 

84-7UK.gif

GFS is too progressive and ECM gave widely 10”+ to interior of Scotland. A lot of snow.

884D0890-EA25-4E75-B2AA-32DE1C8570A9.thumb.png.a113a2c4207fe5a1b4f305c5b170ad53.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
32 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

GFS is too progressive and ECM gave widely 10”+ to interior of Scotland. A lot of snow.

884D0890-EA25-4E75-B2AA-32DE1C8570A9.thumb.png.a113a2c4207fe5a1b4f305c5b170ad53.png

There's some desperate, late February style straw clutching going on. We aren't seeing more than cold rain or wet sleet (both of which can do one, or two) this weekend so don't get your hopes up chaps. With apologies...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Very mild again here, we hit the heady heights of 14c yesterday and it looks like continuing in the same vein today. However, according to Metcheck I'm going to be on the receiving end of 20mm of rain every hour for the next 2 days! Aye, right! You can tell how seriously I'm taking that forecast! As for snaw, nah, it's no gauny be happening here any time soon. Except the mountains, maybe they'll get a flake or two! ❄❄⛄⛄

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted

Very murky start to the day with lots of low cloud clinging to the surrounding hills - looks like it will be a twilight day.

Quite a stiff southerly breeze out there but not particularly cold, 6.5C at the moment.

I see the Met Office is not buying into the idea of a major snow event here on Saturday, just a few hours of chilly rain - can't wait :nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all

Hope everyone is well!

That time of the year again when I dust off my old chestnuts and become active again on Netweather.

Taking my 10 month old son to see Santa at Loch Lomond on Saturday...hopefully this forecast comes off for a festive setting!

Looks as though Saturday could be a snowy day for quite a few folk in this thread! Very close to call at the moment but I see even Gourock is forecast for sleety pish on Saturday so inland should see some proper white stuff at times!

Have a good day and hopefully this thread will be buzzing again soon like last Winter/early Spring! 

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/1072783128287240192?s=20

3ACBC5A1-CE56-45AB-8D33-1974E7E3E878.png

D2DF0D0E-49E0-4F27-A250-71F39D87AE22.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Well some of us are going to be having some fun and games come Saturday morning by the looks of it... I'm starting to get a little bit excited by the prospect of Snaw. If only lasts the day that's fine by me as there will be plenty more to come for many of us over the next 4 to 5 month's ???☃️☃️❄❄❄

Posted
2 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Morning all

Hope everyone is well!

That time of the year again when I dust off my old chestnuts and become active again on Netweather.

Taking my 10 month old son to see Santa at Loch Lomond on Saturday...hopefully this forecast comes off for a festive setting!

Looks as though Saturday could be a snowy day for quite a few folk in this thread! Very close to call at the moment but I see even Gourock is forecast for sleety pish on Saturday so inland should see some proper white stuff at times!

Have a good day and hopefully this thread will be buzzing again soon like last Winter/early Spring! 

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/1072783128287240192?s=20

3ACBC5A1-CE56-45AB-8D33-1974E7E3E878.png

D2DF0D0E-49E0-4F27-A250-71F39D87AE22.png

you off to the owl sanctuary place?? I went there a couple of years ago and the cabin  and santa was great.....kids had a ball.....although at 10 months old he wont be questioning how realistic santa is :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
3 hours ago, More Snow said:

Well some of us are going to be having some fun and games come Saturday morning by the looks of it... I'm starting to get a little bit excited by the prospect of Snaw. If only lasts the day that's fine by me as there will be plenty more to come for many of us over the next 4 to 5 month's ???☃️☃️❄❄❄

You should be ok later on Saturday as Highland Perthshire down through to Auchterarder / Blackford does well in those situations. May well stay on the ground until Tuesday though could be slushy. Over here nearer the North Sea I’m afraid cold rain or a bit sleety stuff is more likely though higher bits of Perth have a chance.

Dull and coolish in the breeze here today even though temps a couple of degrees up on yesterday.

Posted

Pretty sure this weekend will see some snow in places but round here won't be one of them. Too close to the coast etc. etc. blah, blah, blah. 

Might take a drive though 

Posted
48 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Pretty sure this weekend will see some snow in places but round here won't be one of them. Too close to the coast etc. etc. blah, blah, blah. 

Might take a drive though 

Rain in Edinburgh is looking more and more likely. Currie has better chances I think, unfortunately I'm right in the city centre so I don't think we'll see anything. We could see a few flakes floating around on Friday night and Saturday morning

Posted
20 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Currie has better chances I think

Similar situations in the past generally are poor here - happy to be surprised but I'll not be getting the kids excited 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

In the last hour it's gone very windy and the temp has dropped like a stone. Really horrible night outside now.