Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

What counts as an ice day? Does it have to be midnight to midnight or just the daylight hours subzero?  We've had the latter but cloud is lifting the temp now.  The car was like an icebox earlier!

The "hunt for cold" thread is a fun place to be tonight, one set of runs go a little bit wonky and its the end of the world. some of the comments are bloody hilarious, just waiting for the " say time next year lads, winters over" post oh yes of course it the Scotland thread so, cold day with a little sleet to start but then just cold and wet and thats how the next few days look, not as cold tho but Friday looks a bit blowy...

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
50 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I wasn't convinced by the previous sets of runs, the easterly wasn't much to get worked up about. We've still got about 5 months of winter left so I'm sure it'll all work out

It was never really looking that great. Still looks as it'll be chilly next week with the air coming from the north for a bit, with maybe a slight chance of a few seeing the odd snow flurry, but nothing major, and not widespread. After that it's anyone's guess, and yes, plenty of ice (hopefully) to flow under the bridge before winter is done with. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
6 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

What counts as an ice day? Does it have to be midnight to midnight or just the daylight hours subzero?  We've had the latter but cloud is lifting the temp now.  The car was like an icebox earlier!

For consistency I think that it would have to be the 24 hours though this would not be the first time that temps rose later in the day. Had a short spell of freezing rain here before the temperature rose in the late morning. Max was 5C so miserable-cold rain here.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

For consistency I think that it would have to be the 24 hours though this would not be the first time that temps rose later in the day. Had a short spell of freezing rain here before the temperature rose in the late morning. Max was 5C so miserable-cold rain here.

Still -0.5c here so I think we just qualified although it appears to be rising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! What a difference from yesterday, eh? It was gorgeous and frosty and white and now we're up at 12.2c with rain and murk! Ah, the vagaries of the Scottish weather. Tomorrow looks interesting, so better make sure everything is tied doon outside. Might pop into the model thread, I could do with a laugh!

4 hours ago, mistyqueen said:

Morning all! What a difference from yesterday, eh? It was gorgeous and frosty and white and now we're up at 12.2c with rain and murk! Ah, the vagaries of the Scottish weather. Tomorrow looks interesting, so better make sure everything is tied doon outside. Might pop into the model thread, I could do with a laugh!

Stay away i say stay away... there are toys and prams littering every page.. folk like lemmings jumping off the cliff just coz one run says no. i think its time netweather set up a winter councelling thread. anyways back to the here and now and yep its been wet this morning and you can certainly feel the difference in the temp today, all set for a blustery wet day tomorrow, as for next week who knows whats gonna happen.

Posted

Looks like the blustery and wet weather is set to continue until 15-20th of December, excluding a short break between Sunday and Wednesday. As we properly enter into December, there is always a chance that some parts of Scotland could see sleet and snow at times down to low levels, but that will have to be confirmed nearer the time. 

• Like 1

Posted

It's blustering fine style oot there! Then we have a wee quiet moment to pull us into a false sense of security, then, WHAM! The hoose gets walloped by a "stiff breeze". Hoping that it doesn't get as bad as predicted although the Western Isles will get the worst of it. Won't be venturing far today, just light the fire and get on with some knitting!  And hot chocolate!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Aye, I know that kind of stiff breeze MQ. The kind that knocks claespoles doon. LOL!

• Like 1

Posted

Real winters day here now gusty lazy wind at 5c with short sharp showers

Cows out for thair daily feed of neeps came straight back to gate once finished to come inside, no hanging about today its  a real cold wind.

Mountains must be getting snow and all this on a west wind

• Like 1

School run was fun.. a few sploges of sleet on the car windscreen. And the hill tops are getting covered again. Wonderful...Snaw for all in the new year it would seem if the hunt for cold thread is to be trusted..lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
5 hours ago, More Snow said:

Wonderful...Snaw for all in the new year it would seem if the hunt for cold thread is to be trusted..lol

Whoah, hold your horses, potential for snow next week is back on the agenda according to latest MOD thread mood swing. I'd laugh if it wasn't so predictable.

850 temps for my location have dropped around 3c across the board from Tue onwards between the GFS 6z and 12z runs, which just shows that taking model runs at face value at that range is pretty pointless. Could quite easily jump back up with the 18z, or drop the same again. 

Posted

What a vile vile evening it is. Very squally/heavy showers still had a nice few baths today because of the rain ;)

Posted

Good grief, it's 10c at 8 in the morning! But on the positive side it looks as if the next couple of days will be cooler. Just been in the model thread. Someone's head is surely going to explode soon, just 'cos some charts say it might get colder on Christmas Eve! That's over two weeks away, and the chances of the charts changing is ..... yes, you've guessed correctly ..... Very high! But let's leave the TOORPERS to their own devices. They are surely happy dreaming of a sh*te, oh sorry, white Christmas. Bless 'em the wee souls!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 2

Posted

Just an update on the summer drought/heat . Auctioneer told me yesterday that the biggish sale for time of year at Thainstone  yesterday was  the result of farmers taking cattle in straight from the fields and selling them as they had to reduce numbers to enable them to eke out scarce supplies of feed and bedding .Obviously prices are taking a hit.

Do I believe the predictions in the model thread?   Yes absolutely as it will just compound the problems of last summer for farming and the broken down funicular seals it. Noticed too the council are only gritting the corners on the side roads in the last week so do  they know something? or are they very short of cash/grit

Currently dull and 7c after a shory night.

• Like 3

Morning everybody, some fantastic fun in FI over in the made house, if them snow depth charts come anywhere near close then this thread will be buzzing in the run up to xmas.

Posted

Despite woeful predictions, the last couple of days have been OK, mainly sunny, a few showers, slightly breezy with "normal" temps for the time of year.

Anyway, I’m off to the Cowal peninsula for a few days, to escape the Xmas hype, to reflect, contemplate and explore nature reserves.

http://visitcowal.co.uk/discover-cowal/environment-and-wildlife/

Probably bore the Scots on here with a few pics thereafter :oldlaugh:

• Like 4

Posted

Yesterday's rain was the heaviest I've seen (here) for quite some time.  Today's rain was just damp and miserable.

I should find a more seasonal picture to replace the fritillaries in flagrante delicto <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

keeping an eye on the potential for us Scots to get some snow at the end of next week (click on the link to see the snowfall charts, tried to save and copy the image but it shows up blank)

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/m6_snow-depth-in/20181215-0000z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/m12_snow-depth-in/20181215-0000z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/m16_snow-depth-in/20181215-0000z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/m17_snow-depth-in/20181215-0000z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/m18_snow-depth-in/20181215-0000z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/m33_snow-depth-in/20181215-0000z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/m38_snow-depth-in/20181215-0000z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/m40_snow-depth-in/20181215-0000z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/m42_snow-depth-in/20181215-0000z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/m49_snow-depth-in/20181215-0000z.html

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/2018120812/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/snow-depth-in/20181215-1800z.html

obviously given the time frame its just a chance at the moment but I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a frontal / battleground snowfall event across Scotland at the end of next week

GFS P also going for snow

gfs-16-144.thumb.png.70ea0c10562f70be0a5f6df04a2c091c.png

stratosphere also looking like heating up towards Christmas

tempresult_duf3.thumb.gif.d07e6f8fb596e7533def83c0fc6db7ff.gif

gensnh-2-7-384.thumb.png.6efd9f01d761e5a1bd8177cf3a2b617a.pnggensnh-5-7-384.thumb.png.ee9484f4d7c5558a748fdf2057c32ea4.pnggensnh-8-7-384.thumb.png.487d618e47ff6564b90f4e731dde591b.pnggensnh-12-7-384.thumb.png.ff585ca760edcac1297bfcae892f4298.pnggensnh-14-7-384.thumb.png.61b96e4884f928b9ffb511d84be8c45c.png 

tempresult_dac4.thumb.gif.17c576820256e12083fd5c8c942ba54a.gif

tempresult_khp4.thumb.gif.49764841f61fd2d99d8871e72be8d22e.gif

Here's to a cold / snow filled winter across Scotland (hopefully)  :drinks: ???????

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

great post KW very helpful having the links..... i am very interested in next Friday as every year i stay at piperdam for a weekend and its always been our holy grail to be in the hottub whilst it snows so fingers crossed for Friday snow showers 

• Like 1

Posted

Kirkcaldy Weather, thanks for posting the predicted snowfall charts. One thing is puzzling me, where the heck is Kozaksville? Just across the water fae Fife! Is this a new town that's sprung up out of nowhere? Just had a quick peek into the madhouse. Looks like it's jaikets aff for a few members in there!

• Like 3

Posted

Another average morning here: 60% cloud, light and variable breeze, no ppn, 5.5C.

Plenty of tits in the garden, they must know the cats always sleep at this time of day.