Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

4/5C and heavy rain for most of the thoroughly unpleasant drive to work this morning. Welcome to  a typical Scottish Autumn/Winter day.

• Like 1

Posted

Driech day in Aberdeen today.      Wouldn't fancy getting the ferry north today.    Sea as choppy as Ive seen it for a while.   Loads of sea foam being blown in off the sea.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Heavy prolonged showers with some hail here in a strong cold South Easterly. Little bits of blue sky between the showers now.

This van did not take proper account of the slush on the road just outside Aberfeldy. Close to going over the edge!

50CBD4AE-1001-45A5-AF67-4F70E916396A.jpeg

Posted

A truly horrible day. I actually drew into a lay-by (of sorts) this morning on the way to a work thing, for five minutes or so,while a blasting of sleet and hail passed overhead. 

This afternoon the led dusk-dawn exterior lights at home switched themselves into action around 14.45.:oldsad:

851082052_Dusk-dawn.thumb.jpg.4be6dbedd7045583f0dabf8e4aab691e.jpg

Roll on Jan/Feb, and also some westerly zephyrs which would be appreciated.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

-1.5C overnight. A heady mix of frost and cauld drizzle to start the day and that wintry grey halflight that's barely there. 

Typical sh*te easterly in November - still too early, despite what all the feverish trumpets in the TOORPing thread have been banging on about for weeks.

Will it snaw? Aye, probably soon. Will we have another 1947/63/78-9/2010? Probably not yet, but you never know. And that's yer winter forecast. Next!

• Like 5

Posted

Rinse and repeat at the moment.    Grey , dank and driech.     Its not even that cold...    Autumn is usually my favourite season but this year its just thrown a ( relatively ) mild , damp mess at us.   I don't think I have even had to scrape the car windows once so far.    And don't even mention the leaves in my garden !! .    

• Like 4

Posted

I've read some garbage on the Evening News site in the past but this article in today's edition is right up there with the worst of it! 

Cold snap brings near freezing temperatures to Edinburgh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, 101_North said:

I've read some garbage on the Evening News site in the past but this article in today's edition is right up there with the worst of it! 

Cold snap brings near freezing temperatures to Edinburgh

You didn't get the memo about not sharing b0110x like this? It just encourages them when they see the click counting up apparently...

Another dull as a very dull grey one here. Well it's dark now with orange street lights but I'm sure it's really still grey. It was so grey I didn't wait for it to get dark before closing the curtains. Hibernation here we come.  Cats gathering round the stove, dubbed out jingle bells lifting the carpets, Santa will be here soon!

• Like 2

Posted

Cool and wet again. Probably a sign of how dry it's been this year though that a few days of almost constant rain is so noticeable. As apparent easterlies go its been a real disappointment, and models swaying away from anything too exciting going forward. Only November though. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

"A Thunderous Blizzard slams into mountainside hut" rofl

Screenshot_20181123-105844.png

• Like 3

This time next week  I shall be back.... more snow bringing more Snaw. I'm buzzing for this coming winter and I'm certain all of us will be covered in Snaw at some point in the next 5 months. ❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Has there been any weather anywhere else?  We've had grey skies, 7C and intermittent light rain / drizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzle for several days. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….

• Like 4

Posted

Actually saw the sun today for a bit. Chilly feeling out though, even with little or no wind. Still nothing too interesting on the models. Maybe a "big blow" more likely than any "winter is coming" in the next week or so. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Has there been any weather anywhere else?  We've had grey skies, 7C and intermittent light rain / drizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzle for several days. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….

Same here lack of air movement has resulted in a pneumonia  in an adult cow a bit unusual .

Cows and calves still out as ground still fairly dry and pneumonia risk very high if taken in in this type of weather even if they are vaccinated. Looking to next weekend to take them in now .

Ploughing all done and a store of neeps up for inside cattle.

Currently dank ,calm and 5c

• Like 3

Posted

@Hairy Celt Indeed, very dark skies, it's like living in a large black hole at the mo. Some temporary brightness this afternoon with a vivid rainbow over the North Sea viewed from Arbroath, overtaken by dusky gloom. Temp has been a consistent 6C during the day, little breeze, and feeling cold.

I actually went to Arbroath this afternoon to buy fish, but having gone there decided also to visit one of the supermarkets for a few items. It would appear that the usual Xmas buying excess has started - painfully long queues at the checkouts - slow-moving overflowing trolleys blocking the aisles etc. Note to self to do any supermarket visits before 8am for the next month or so.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

I was awfy rainy here today luckily I was at a Christmas market locally (driving thru pouring rain ) to buy Harris gin ! So all is cosy tonight whatever the weather cheers ! 

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!
On 04/11/2018 at 09:18, CatchMyDrift said:

Waiting for action, it's all a bit of a snoozefest at the moment. How's you?

It's cool, calm and all a bit of nothing here today:

20181104_074732.thumb.jpg.c24f40da39eb47b6ba1c60e6322b0d64.jpg20181104_074835.thumb.jpg.7948799e66dadd63e01daae1576967de.jpg

It has been a fairly quiet few weeks for weather here.

Not bad how’s you . Things have been a bit unsettled of last couple of weeks as sadly mum has been diagnosed with breast cancer , but luckily it seems slow growing tumour so that’s something. 

I sure am looking forward to some weather watching and some fun times here , I’ve missed all the banter . At least we all share the weather obsession unlike most of our other significant others

Posted

Don"t know why there is so much gloom in the cold model thread as apart from a couple of nights in the middle of the next week most nights have at least a ground frost in the next fortnight for  my neck of the woods so it should feel seasonal. Currently 0c calm and partly cloudy

• Like 5

Morning all. A nice Sunday morning down here in Cornwall. We are leaving a day early so only 4 sleeps now till the move back starts. Over Night stop on Thursday in Preston followed by an over night in Motherwell on Friday and then off to the new house on Saturday morning. Very excited times..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
On 24/11/2018 at 15:40, Hairy Celt said:

The only difference here is that it has often been heavy rain. Showery again today at 5C with a fresh Easterly breeze. The sun did poke through for a few minutes this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Winter alloys oan, fir whit its worth.

Gutters done tae.

Nothing else tae add really.

Cauld n' dreich. 

• Like 5

Posted

Encountered a brief but welcome snow shower locally on our dog walk near Moy earlier. It’s been a raw day/week, with plenty frost, having started the week at 7 below. Some Goldfinches are now visiting which is nice to see, 1st time we’ve had them in the garden. Enjoying the time to get everything winter ready, 09/10 was sedate until mid December and we know what was unleashed after that, so intrigued as always regarding what awaits us. 0c

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Currently 0c here, calm with light cloud. Best make the most of the fine weather as the rest of the week looks like pure mince. 

A massive tragedy yesterday. Driving through to Snecky with the car loaded up with boxes and bits to the Car Boot sale at the leisure centre. Just outside Drumnadrochit on comes the oil light and then the engine grinds Tae a halt. Och deary me, sez I, or words to that effect. Dash me, sez Himself. This was at 6.30am. We pulled off the main road and waited a while then tried again. Nope, nothing doing. Didnae even have a torch with me, so I phoned Green Flag and they were pretty damn good actually. Checked to see the I was ok, on my own etc. Assurances given, the operator said she would phone me back once the call went out. She did too, within 5 minutes. Would have someone with us within 2 hours, maybe sooner depending on who they could get at that time of the morning! Nothing else for it but to eat our lunch sandwiches and finish off a flask of tea. Temp at this time was around 2c. Then we just covered ourselves over with assorted jackets and had a wee kip. After about an hour daylight arrived and Himself checked the oil level and it was ok. Then around 8.15 the cavalry arrived in the shape of Frank who got the car onto his truck and took us home to Skye. So much for me making a mint at the car boot sale! Never mind, there's one on locally this Sunday, so I may yet make my fortune! Car will have to go to our local magic car fixer this week. Fortunately we have two cars. Just as well we didn't get rid of one as we said we would when we both retired. Not a chance now of that happening! 

I keep thinking it could have been worse. We could have broken down at Cluanie and the we'd have been really stuffed. Nae phone signal oot there! So we are off tae Snecky on Friday to finish Crimbo shopping. We will not tarry too long as the weather ain't looking too clever for then. Hopefully the other car will be fixed pronto. I'd go off my but if I couldn't get anywhere!

Happy days, eh?

Edited by mistyqueen
Spelling
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Interesting days as they say MistyQ.

So interesting you could do withoot them