Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
17 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Looking kinda chilly going forward.

t850Midlothian.png

Aperitifs fae the east already.

ecmt850.120.png

Mibbie time tae think aboot puttin oan the winter rubber.

Aa'll weatha' te'ars oan noo.  ( jist efter a wee keek a' the hereaboots) :oldgrin:

• Like 1

Well that's winter over... 2 weeks before it's even begun over in the nut house thread. I've been ducking the toys all afternoon in there. It never suprises me in there when one set of runs fails to show nation wide 2ft of Snaw. When will they ever learn?? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
33 minutes ago, More Snow said:

When will they ever learn??

You know the answer to that. 

Started off the day here having to scrape my car windscreen, 2C at my house at 7.30am despite it being around 15C when I drove home the night before. Lowest I noticed on my commute was - 1C this morning, about 10C this afternoon. 

That's me got all-season tyres both front and rear now, pity we're not going to have a winter then (courtesy of some in MOD thread), as I could have saved myself some dosh. 

@More Snow, are you heading back to same house/area as last year then? Bet the kids are stoked at the prospect of another winter in Scotland, and plenty of 'snow days' off school. 

24 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

You know the answer to that. 

Started off the day here having to scrape my car windscreen, 2C at my house at 7.30am despite it being around 15C when I drove home the night before. Lowest I noticed on my commute was - 1C this morning, about 10C this afternoon. 

That's me got all-season tyres both front and rear now, pity we're not going to have a winter then (courtesy of some in MOD thread), as I could have saved myself some dosh. 

@More Snow, are you heading back to same house/area as last year then? Bet the kids are stoked at the prospect of another winter in Scotland, and plenty of 'snow days' off school. 

Hi @Ravelin no sadly the house we left has been rented out to some folk from London, but we have found a really nice place about 5 miles west of Crieff and hoping that with 100m asl will still stand us in a good spot for the winter months. it was a really bad moment of madness that led us away from Aberdeenshire. but as they say nothing ventured nothing gained, and its been an experience. not one i would want to repeat tho, nothing against Cornwall in any way, just the house and the landlord have been so so bad that we just cannot wait to get back to the place we can call home. we drive up to Motherwell on the 30th and stay over night in the premier inn there and then its off to the new gaff the next morning.

Posted

@More Snowyou should do well enough there I'd think, nice and central and nessled in the hills. Good luck with the move. Cornwall is nice to visit but I'd not like to live there. 

@Ravelin thank you, and as you say nice to visit but not for a long period, 13 sleeps and counting, boxes all over the place never moving again after this unless a nice big house pops up in Wanlockhead of course.

Posted

Cooling down, starting at 3c with a ground frost this morning followed by clear blue skies and sunshine. Currently 8c. Going to feel more seasonal this week but if it stays dry another week for cows and calves  to stay out preserving stocks of  straw and silage for later in the winter.

• Like 1

Just a quick non weather related question. my 2 boys have just asked when we move up to Perth and Kinross what will be the nearest big football team that i can take them to go see. we did Dundee Utd last season and they really loved it. we are a West Ham house here apart from one Man City glory hunter. so they have seen a few games in different places but the idea is to pick a Scottish team and follow them home and away and see how many different stadiums we can visit. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal
24 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Just a quick non weather related question. my 2 boys have just asked when we move up to Perth and Kinross what will be the nearest big football team that i can take them to go see. we did Dundee Utd last season and they really loved it. we are a West Ham house here apart from one Man City glory hunter. so they have seen a few games in different places but the idea is to pick a Scottish team and follow them home and away and see how many different stadiums we can visit. 

That would be The Saints (St Johnstone - play from Perth). I'm not a footie follower so I wouldn't presume to comment on them as a team though the other half goes to the odd home game. 

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all, 

Was in Seville and Cordoba last weekend and very thankful it wasn’t mid-summer, being a couple of European hotspots! Lovely cities though had to smile at the locals wearing winter jackets and scarves when the temperature was still in the high teens! It’s all relative I guess! 

Walked along to Arbroath this afternoon, grey and dreary on the coast and cool at 9c. Hopefully the sun will come out tomorrow!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

Walked along to Arbroath this afternoon, grey and dreary on the coast and cool at 9c.

Pretty much the same in inland Aberdeenshire. Never saw the sun all day, but strangely I'm sitting looking out at the moon now. Well on and off as clouds pass in front of it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

As over the rainbow pointed out, St Johnstone are from Perth and their ground is by Crieff Road in Perth I think so easy to get to. Small club with small crowds though, but have been doing fairly well recently and have been in the Premier League for over a decade now I think. Dundee United are much the bigger club but are in the championship for the second season running which is pretty disastrous for them. There's also Dundee who are also a bigger club than St Johnstone, but they're bottom of the league and headed to the same division their neighbours are in.

• Like 1

Posted

@Hawesy Seville is one of the top of my go-to places. I find Spain, with its history and various landscapes, a very interesting country to visit. 

Probably not in high summer or for main holiday though. 

@Ravelin 

Looking out for the moon and Leonid showers, but still misty/cloudy here.

Apropos nothing really, but a rodent has gnawed through the water pipe connecting the dish-washer to the water supply and the kitchen now is in a state of chaos. :oldlaugh: A tenuous connection to the weather, but it is at this time of year that house mice do what their name indicates. Doggie has been making numerous "air" pounces along the kitchen skirting board.

Hopefully a plumber will sort things come Monday.

• Like 5

Posted
6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Cooling down, starting at 3c with a ground frost this morning followed by clear blue skies and sunshine. Currently 8c. Going to feel more seasonal this week but if it stays dry another week for cows and calves  to stay out preserving stocks of  straw and silage for later in the winter.

Young Mr Northernlights practising his ploughing skills today in perfect weather. 20181117_150254.thumb.jpg.40ef3200fd1a4eef93b9a525ba93453a.jpgCows at neeps to the left

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Beeglie has been sniffing interestedly in the corners of the kitchen lately. But not all the time. Not today... today she's being an ornament.

imageedit_3_6681086778.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Stonking day up here, wall to wall sunshine, gin clear skies and loch's like millponds. Doesn't happen that often up here and it looks like lasting for at least a week!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, it is looking a fair bit blocked down the line. We might well be in for an early start tae the fun n games,

t850Midlothian.png

Nice tae see some -10 C uppers over bits of Scotland intae FI already.

ecmt850.240.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Almost an identical day today on Islay, as yesterday, so a dull, moist start clearing early afternoon. 11C max and a steady strong south-easterly that has really started to get on my tits.

I'll be home in a few days hopefully after the fog's lifted.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Not that you're counting?

Been counting down for ever it feels.. I'm very hopeful that we are going to get one hell of a winter with plenty of Snaw for all of us in Scotland. I've not seen Snaw since April and i need me a Snaw fix. Winters coming and I'm buzzing to be coming back to the place that gave me my best ever winter in my 40 plus years on this planet.❄❄❄❄❄❄☃️☃️☃️☃️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Clear blue sky all day, quite stunning... that it waits for me to have a day off!

A few pictures from nearby with the low, late autumn light - these were taken at near enough midday.

1634407749_barecanopy.thumb.jpg.da3c46974abb680eff0197e53d0099ca.jpg    eucalyptus.thumb.jpg.ef57fd7529e19537bdf2fcf45fa9801d.jpg   hydrangea.thumb.jpg.8d68fa02e53a0e64c02c8a4288cdc633.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
13 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Clear blue sky all day, quite stunning... that it waits for me to have a day off!

A few pictures from nearby with the low, late autumn light - these were taken at near enough midday.

1634407749_barecanopy.thumb.jpg.da3c46974abb680eff0197e53d0099ca.jpg    eucalyptus.thumb.jpg.ef57fd7529e19537bdf2fcf45fa9801d.jpg   hydrangea.thumb.jpg.8d68fa02e53a0e64c02c8a4288cdc633.jpg

Pic no 1 reminds me of my left retinal photo from Thurs last week.:nonono:

Posted

Fine day again put one of the last cows to calve out with her calf.Calves sunbathing  next to south facing dyke this afternoon although temperature only reached  a maximum of 6c with frost lingering in shaded areas all day. Finished tidying shrubbery in garden.Usually do it in pouring rain/sleet and mud

• Like 1