Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Aye, mornin' all frae Dreichsville. Currently 8.9c, damp and dreary wi' it. Looks like a nice cool,crisp fresh week of weather on the cards from Friday. Could this be the start of the 3 months of snow, ice etc promised annually by the express/mirror and other equally crappy litter tray liners? 

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
47 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Aye, mornin' all frae Dreichsville. Currently 8.9c, damp and dreary wi' it. Looks like a nice cool,crisp fresh week of weather on the cards from Friday. Could this be the start of the 3 months of snow, ice etc promised annually by the express/mirror and other equally crappy litter tray liners? 

You mean you let your cats read while they're crapping? 

Anyhoo, damp start on islay too but now clearing from the west. 

Just got stuka'd by some bloody geese... 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

"a low key" yellow warning for rain from Met Office for Weds. 

"Periods of rain are expected across southwestern Scotland on Wednesday morning, and some of this will be heavy. Drier weather will spread northeast in the afternoon. Accumulations of 20 to 30 mm are expected in places, locally 40 to 50 mm on high ground."

Is this a reflection of how the ground is after recent rain perhaps?

1311mowarnrain.png

1311wedsraintot.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Pouring down all the way into the city today.  And everyone jumping in their cars as a result = car nage.

Posted

Yesterday was a beautiful day of sunshine, light winds and a max of 11C.

So far today is just the opposite - grey, wet, breezy and feeling cool even though the thermometer reads 9C.

Looks like a cool down from next week - grey and cold for here most likely, cannot wait  :closedeyes:

Oh, and may I be first to say winter is over (not bad seeing as its still technically autumn) - already got the first Narcissus coming into bloom in the garden....

Snag_6c17ff.thumb.png.cc462ae8d409e12218fa4594e39c6859.png

• Like 1

16 sleeps till im back home and in the land of the snaw... ive got a good feeling that this winter is going to be even better than last winter. i can see some epic snaw falling on many of us. no science behind it just my gut instinct or is that the curry?? 

Posted

In the end the day turned out okay, dry after the early rain and very mild in the afternoon with a max temperature of 14C. Good going as the sun never really made an appearance.

Lovely sunset accompanied by the usual skeins of geese heading home for the evening.

Snag_a994b8.thumb.png.a66792b0c7d0c0636f6d24f7b319ad94.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

More Snow, we had the snowiest winter in years when you were up here. You better come back!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

With today threatening 16, maybe 17C, up on the Moray Firth, Northernlights might even be out sunbathing!☀️

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mardatha said:

More Snow, we had the snowiest winter in years when you were up here. You better come back!!

15 sleeps till the i return with the Snow family.. im coming back no doubt about that. and looking at some of the charts the last couple of days i could be home just in time.:cold-emoji::cold-emoji::cold-emoji::cold-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Hi everyone!

I don't think I have been on here since we last had snow. Lets hope it's another great winter with plenty of snow!  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Greetings from a very mild and blustery Skye! I just had a wee peep in the model output. Oh Dear, honestly, maybe they've been reading the cat litter tray liners again!  Some are just about looking out the snowshoes and I forsee some sulking if we don't get 8 feet of snow! Yes, it will be colder, but really, loads of snaw? Nah!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
44 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Greetings from a very mild and blustery Skye! I just had a wee peep in the model output. Oh Dear, honestly, maybe they've been reading the cat litter tray liners again!  Some are just about looking out the snowshoes and I forsee some sulking if we don't get 8 feet of snow! Yes, it will be colder, but really, loads of snaw? Nah!

Hi MQ...

Looks like Saturday could be quite good, up there in God's Country?

Netweather GFS Image

Stay out of the mad house i repeat stay out of the mad house.. the gfs is stonking no wait it has backtracked toward the ECM no it hasn't oh yes it has, no cold pool to tap into, nope its a thing of beauty, its an outlier i tell you. no its just leading the way..Bonkers its all gone Bonkers 

Posted

A fine morning and early afternoon in these parts  - with nice altostratus skyscapes - reaching 16C en route Brechin to Dundee.

But it was a quite disrupted and unexpected "medical" day. :oldmellow:  GP phoned 9am to advise that according to records, I had not received a shingles jab - off to health centre for that, followed by an urgent appt with the optometrist, then a referral to and a depressing afternoon and diagnosis at Ninewells eye OP department.

Overcast and much cooler at sundown.

Onwards and upwards, as they say.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Sending you wee pink vibes ciel that everything turns out ok. Which it usually does anyway! xx

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

With today threatening 16, maybe 17C, up on the Moray Firth, Northernlights might even be out sunbathing!☀️

Yes fabulous windy drying day.Taking off stones on fresh ploughing in dusty conditions. Turned cows and calves into a fresh grass field  (which has been stock free for a month ) with a couple of inches of new grass to allow old grass field to be ploughed in. Quite remarkable for November but next week is looking more seasonal. but still mostly dry. Currently 14c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Yes fabulous windy drying day.Taking off stones on fresh ploughing in dusty conditions. Turned cows and calves into a fresh grass field  (which has been stock free for a month ) with a couple of inches of new grass to allow old grass field to be ploughed in. Quite remarkable for November but next week is looking more seasonal. but still mostly dry. Currently 14c.

From the other end of the country (still)… Damp and windy till early afternoon, then suddenly becalmed and heavy rain started.  Not really a drying day!  We topped at 13C though. Downwards slowly now perhaps.

This was from a couple of days ago, just before sunset. I should get back into the habit of pointing the camera up sometimes.  sunset.thumb.jpg.e2f404110895446f7b4fe32945a3ee56.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

cant actually work out the MT now.... is the hunt for cold the main thread.... there also appears to be a short term one that only knocker posts in.... all very confusing

turning seasonal next week which is nice as hopefully firm up all the paths as we got a pup a few weeks ago and walks start next week as he is allowed out

slight problem may be he is a boston terrier and apparently not hugely fond of the cold 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
5 hours ago, More Snow said:

Stay out of the mad house i repeat stay out of the mad house.. the gfs is stonking no wait it has backtracked toward the ECM no it hasn't oh yes it has, no cold pool to tap into, nope its a thing of beauty, its an outlier i tell you. no its just leading the way..Bonkers its all gone Bonkers 

Which is why us located north of the border are much more relaxed. For us it's usually a case of "oh well, if it doesn't snow this time we'll get another go later", cos it usually will. The southerners are so used to snow being a relative rarity that they get stressed over the most marginal of situations. 

I mean, I've already seen snow both falling and lying this 'winter' (autumn really), albeit the latter was at around 400m and wet. 

At this stage its pretty much odds on to be noticeably colder by this time next week, but snow... maybe for a lucky few but we ain't likely to see anything significantly exciting unless one of the more extreme model runs of late actually verifies for once. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

17.6C Kinlochewe Highland yesterday, could go higher tomorrow. -1.5C overnight Aboyne Grampian 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Looking kinda chilly going forward.

t850Midlothian.png

Aperitifs fae the east already.

ecmt850.120.png

Mibbie time tae think aboot puttin oan the winter rubber.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3