Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Bloody windy up this hill anyway! Horrible vile awful night out there, rain battering on the windows so bad the husband had to turn up the telly.

• Like 1

Posted

Pouring here but wind's nothing seems to have died a death since this rain attacked

• Like 1

Posted

Yet another murky day, though dry until this evening.

Very windy now though with some powerful gusts which are bringing down some branches onto the roads round here.

Not a cold day though, max of 10C.

Talk of some drier weather in the weeks ahead, hope so as the grass is now squelching under foot and moss is appearing everywhere (note to self, apply the moss killer later in the year in 2019)! 

Posted
2 hours ago, mardatha said:

Bloody windy up this hill anyway! Horrible vile awful night out there, rain battering on the windows so bad the husband had to turn up the telly.

Pouring windy rain. Fire on. YouTube activated at our stunning broadband speed of 7mbps.....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Rain really rattling off the lounge window now. 

Posted

Shugee appaerntly we're getting fast broadband here within the next month or two... the excitement builds!

Well that was some day yesterday, took a real hammering down here in the south west, garden wall has collapsed and porch has flooded out from the roof, lots for the landlord to fix, only 20 sleeps now till i return, and yes im gonna count you down each day. i just been in the mad house and Shannon Entropy has reared her ugly head already. its gonna be a long old season in there i feel. have a great weekend everybody.

Posted

I digress from weather topics, but:

@shuggee

I'm not at all savvy about techie internet stuff, but my download speed is 0.36mb/s.:nonono:Makes any streaming nigh on impossible or irritating at best.

@mardatha

Wait until you see it before you believe it. Must be around four months ago I received an email from BT advising that "superfast" broadband was about to become available here. On enquiring, the BT representatives feigned ignorance of this assertion. Mind you, I live at the terminus of the tel. line - my only internet option, apparently.

Back to the weather. After the rain and gale yesterday evening/early hours, its now quite calm at ground level although the clouds, of various type and levels are moving briskly west to east. Temp 9C, but feeling cooler than that.

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely day so far, such a difference from last night. The lounge windows are looking nice and clean this morning after the wind and raid battering off them yesterday. 

Models looking interesting but really it's anyone's call what will happen next weekend onwards. Changing every run. 

Posted
4 hours ago, mardatha said:

Shugee appaerntly we're getting fast broadband here within the next month or two... the excitement builds!

You know how fast your getting? I got near enough 400MB at mine. It's good!

• Like 2

Posted

No, just that they were digging up the road here this summer and when I asked why they said broadband. Then I went onto Openreach fibre bb site and it says we are having the last checks done and it will be operational soon.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 1

Posted

They're digging up the A701 too! Stop copying @mardatha :oldp:

We're due fttp in mid December up to 1,000mbps. So I'll stop .com plaining then.... And @ciel that's appalling!!

• Like 2

Posted

@mardatha & @shuggee

lol - the only digging of the road-side hereabouts is the repairing of flooded joints (and patching potholes).

To be fair, after several conversations, BT did disclose that the Edzell tel exchange was "ready" for fast bb. 

• Like 2

Posted

Another fabulous day sunny and breezy.Ground now exceptionally dry  but grass still growing. Started to lift neeps for winter store yesterday in spring like conditions with dust flying . They are an amazing crop probably the best we have had in years in spite of the dry summer with enough heat and rain in the autumn to allow them to recover and keep growing. They will definitely be full of sunshine and the cattle just love them. Currently 7c. Cattle lying in the sun next to south facing dykes all afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Well, we've had a real mix of weather this week, some wind, not awry strong and you, horizontal rain, perpendicular rain, lots of low cloud bringing along dollops of dreichness, and this morning we have blue skies! Current temp 7.8c. I'll hit the send button now and by the time our internet has woken up this message should arrive on the page sometime tomorrow.

I do sympathize with those of you who have slow internet, we suffer the same way in Skye. An FB group was set up a couple of years ago and many meetings have been held with representatives from BT coming along to patronise the peasants the way they only know how. They got a helluva fright when they discovered that the peasants were in fact, intelligent, jaffa cakesed off and very well informed! The group still harries BT regularly and although only some parts of Skye now have fibre, the rest of us still struggle on with the old copper wiring. I changed my provider last year and although the service isn't any better, it's half the price of BT. I'm investigating a fibre supplier for when my contract runs out, but I'm not holding out much hope that it'll be much of an improvement. ☎

• Like 1

Posted

A shower overnight to lay the dust and another dry sunny calm morning starting off at 3c. November so far has been an exceptional month with grass still growing .Had to take dog and chase off about 10000 geese on two 18 acre grass fields this morning. Their numbers are really climbing so big breeding success. Another observation is that next springs bulbs have just broken the surface.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

Rain from the SSW just on here. That's it for 2-3 hours. Staying indoors.

• Like 1

Posted

Depends on how you define soon. Not much chance in the next week, but after that possibly. Likely to be high pressure over or around us so possibly dry and cold, after that is a developing situation but plenty of signs of something 'tasty'. At that range though it could easily turn out to be nothing.

• Like 1

much excitement over in the nut house. even seen a boom chart posted yesterday. looks like a cool down is on the cards toward the end of the month, but will it lead to snaw for my home coming in 18 sleeps??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Islay reporting... that broadband here is poor - can't give you a number but to download anything on iplayer takes hours.

Friday was seriously windy in the afternoon, nearly got blown off the hill. Crikey, etc.

Then the weekend was sort of nothingy, which was fine for work, and it looks ok for tomorrow and the outlook gets better. There, jinxed it.

NL, you would be having kittens if you had the geese they have here, as well as huge numbers of swans that are apparently even more destructive. Huge controversy about whether to encourage them, cull them, discourage them, wrap them in woolly blankets, etc. Breeding success is definitely out of our control so what can we really do that's going to be effective?

• Like 3

Posted
40 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Islay reporting... that broadband here is poor - can't give you a number but to download anything on iplayer takes hours.

Friday was seriously windy in the afternoon, nearly got blown off the hill. Crikey, etc.

Then the weekend was sort of nothingy, which was fine for work, and it looks ok for tomorrow and the outlook gets better. There, jinxed it.

NL, you would be having kittens if you had the geese they have here, as well as huge numbers of swans that are apparently even more destructive. Huge controversy about whether to encourage them, cull them, discourage them, wrap them in woolly blankets, etc. Breeding success is definitely out of our control so what can we really do that's going to be effective?

Have to say we have had another fine day here.Winter ploughing progressing and cales thriving in the sun.

Speaking to a local gamekeeper last week and we were both said the countryside and wildlife  no longer resembles the one we knew as kids.with masses of geese in the autumn,masses of badgers all year round wiping out all the ground living wildlife and he has even shot 7 Red deer in the last year in woods at under 500 feet above sea level only 3 miles as the crow flies away from us.  Spent all day chasing geese off 18 acres of young grass we are trying to keep for the wintering sheep over Christmas and New Year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Ah, Islay...a single malt I can spell!