Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
12 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Much milder here this morning with showers and a fresh easterly wind off the sea. 8c.

Just a few miles can make quite a difference. I had temps rising from 3.5 to 4.5C with showers at breakfast time with the max not reaching near 8C all day. Now 2.3C.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Bloody heck it made it to 13c here in miserable Cornwall today.. and the sun felt rather warm.. how anybody would spend a winter down here I would never know... oh well removals are booked schools all sorted and now on 31 days before I escape back up to the land of the SNAW... 

Posted

Frosty again this evening at -2c. Last of leaves falling in great numbers after last nights -5c in the slightest of breezes today. Felt like a late November day today with more overcast skies.

• Like 3

Posted

A showery morning replaced by a workable afternoon with plenty of weak sunshine.

Up to the heady heights of 5.3C this afternoon and already down to -1.2C outside.

Frost works in strange ways, got two Dahlias next to each other in the garden (same variety) - one decimated by the hard frost on Sunday night, the other still in reasonable condition.  Time to get them dug out, earlier than last year (going by the notebook that was November 10th 2017).

Not sure if this has been posted before, if not, a interesting website to whittle away a few minutes in these long dark nights - the recent rain has mostly removed the reds & yellows that were widespread in the summer (soil moisture reading).

European Drought Observatory

Snag_3091df4.thumb.png.df67da8800e8905b7cfa72d8a1fa9799.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
10 hours ago, More Snow said:

Bloody heck it made it to 13c here in miserable Cornwall today.. and the sun felt rather warm.. how anybody would spend a winter down here I would never know

Oy More Snow watch it that's my homeland you're disparaging.  We might only get snow once every decade and have mild mizzle filled winters but no one can do stormy seas quite as well as us.

12363410104_2b7dc9968e_c.jpg

sennen-hercules-storm.jpg

storm-imogen-pendeen.jpg

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Oy More Snow watch it that's my homeland you're disparaging.  We might only get snow once every decade and have mild mizzle filled winters but no one can do stormy seas quite as well as us.

12363410104_2b7dc9968e_c.jpg

sennen-hercules-storm.jpg

storm-imogen-pendeen.jpg

That's is impressive but still not as good as blizzards and sub zero temps.. wasnt meant to come across as being rude. We just not had a very good time here for one reason and another. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
23 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Still no wind here and still at 0C this morning. Blue sky.

Rinse & repeat, nearly. 2C, no wind and some high-up clouds looking like they don't know what to do with themselves.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Coldest of the 'season' here this morning at -4C at the house, and as low as -5C on the commute. Bright sunny morning as you'd expect to go along with that, but little real visible evidence of frost despite the low temps, except on the car and well shaded spots. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
22 hours ago, More Snow said:

wasnt meant to come across as being rude. We just not had a very good time here for one reason and another. 

No offence taken. I love Cornwall but I love Scotland too. 

Looking forward to your Snaw posts 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Strong winds, gales and heavy rain from remnants of ex-hurricane Oscar will affect western Scotland, Northern Ireland, Irish Sea and Cumbria Friday evening through Saturday. 

Met Office - "Heavy rain will spread from the west later Friday evening will last for much of Saturday, before slowly clearing from the northwest. 30-50mm is expected quite widely, especially on high ground with 60-80mm possible in a few areas." 

0111satrainoscar.png

0111rain.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Some brilliant patterns on the windscreen this morning. Not easy to scrape!

Nice day after last nights rain. Broken cloud with some sun. Feeling cold out of the sun. 

Saturday looking like a washout.

IMG_4967.thumb.JPG.c749d4629dc1a9f17e365554ebfa185d.JPG

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Wasn't even frosty here this morning! Husband says about 3C, and it's bright sun and 13C now.

• Like 1

Posted

Much the same here, Mardatha, with some overnight rain.  Temp just creeping up to 9C, though.

It was quite mesmerising watching the mist dissipate over the hills as the sun gained height this morning.

• Like 2

Posted

Frost came in with daylight this morning as cloud cleared to fine sunny morning with clear blue skies. Temperature fell to 0c at 8.00am.

Slightly unusual late autumn weather in that the roads this afternoon were dry and white with salt something you only normally see in February as humidities drop and the sun gets stronger.

• Like 1

Posted

Dawn started wet but the front passed over quickly leaving clear blue skies from 9am until dusk.

Combined with light winds felt very nice out there in the sun - perfect day for clearing up the garden.

Maximum temperature of 6C and now just below freezing.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Dawn started wet but the front passed over quickly leaving clear blue skies from 9am until dusk.

Combined with light winds felt very nice out there in the sun - perfect day for clearing up the garden.

Maximum temperature of 6C and now just below freezing.

Very similar here I think apart from no early wetness, and we got to 8C. Ner-ner-ne-ner-ner. 

Also still at 3C, thanks to the hot water bottle that is the firth at the bottom of the garden.

And yes, to @Northernlights, the roads are white. And my nice car looks an absolute mess with dirty salt streaks over the muddy splatters everywhere. I blame Caithness farmers, the weather, Brexit, Donald bloody moron Trump, Aaron bloody troglodyte Banks, etc., etc. It's been a long day.

• Like 5

Posted
6 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Very similar here I think apart from no early wetness, and we got to 8C. Ner-ner-ne-ner-ner. 

Also still at 3C, thanks to the hot water bottle that is the firth at the bottom of the garden.

And yes, to @Northernlights, the roads are white. And my nice car looks an absolute mess with dirty salt streaks over the muddy splatters everywhere. I blame y Caithness farmers, the weather, Brexit, Donald bloody moron Trump, Aaron bloody troglodyte Banks, etc., etc. It's been a long day.

Hi Hairy Celt .If I didn"t know any better I would say you are turning into a grumpy old farmer!! Milder this morning at 5c with some high cloud .

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Hi Hairy Celt .If I didn"t know any better I would say you are turning into a grumpy old farmer!! Milder this morning at 5c with some high cloud .

So this is what it feels like?! 5C here too but all blue above. It's been a cracking week...

• Like 1

Posted

Cracking start to the day.

Clear blue skies, very light winds, and the overnight frost (down to -2C) is clearing rapidly off the grass etc.

Some massive skeins of geese heading NNW passed over us around 8am, as impressive as ever - managed to get one of them on camera.

Snag_157b15.thumb.png.292c269f01b212273ab6e24760051bfe.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

0211scotflood.thumb.png.ca73c7d94ffbef1b2ec8ce321bdd14a8.png     http://media.sepa.org.uk/statements/2018/flood-outlook-friday-2-november/ 

SEPA 

“The areas expected to see the most impacts are Skye and Lochaber, Argyll and Bute, Wester Ross and western areas of Tayside and Central Scotland where travel disruption and flooding affecting properties and communities is possible.  

“Localised flooding of low lying land and roads from small watercourses and travel disruption is also possible in the Western Isles, Easter Ross and Great Glen, Moray, western areas of Dundee and Angus, West Central Scotland, Ayrshire and Arran, Dumfries and Galloway and western areas of the Scottish Borders.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
18 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

0211scotflood.thumb.png.ca73c7d94ffbef1b2ec8ce321bdd14a8.png     http://media.sepa.org.uk/statements/2018/flood-outlook-friday-2-november/ 

SEPA 

“The areas expected to see the most impacts are Skye and Lochaber, Argyll and Bute, Wester Ross and western areas of Tayside and Central Scotland where travel disruption and flooding affecting properties and communities is possible.  

“Localised flooding of low lying land and roads from small watercourses and travel disruption is also possible in the Western Isles, Easter Ross and Great Glen, Moray, western areas of Dundee and Angus, West Central Scotland, Ayrshire and Arran, Dumfries and Galloway and western areas of the Scottish Borders.

Yes indeed! Over 2 inches of rain since last night. It's eased off a bit,  so we now have horizontal drizzle! Very mild at 13.8c. Wellies are the order of the day!

• Like 1

Posted

Southerly gale all night with odd burst of rain but now windy sunny and drying up fast again at 13c.Rain shadow in full effect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Evening everyone , thought it was about time I had a wee nosey in on the thread , getting set for our amazing winter weather watch 2018/2019! Actually really looking forward to some cold weather now . 

How is everyone ? 

• Like 2

Posted

A gloomy, relatively mild day (13C,) it was, but when I set off at 9am to visit my wee-est g’son  who lives in Border territory, it was calm up here, (ie the washing was dangling limply on the line :oldsmile:).

10 mins down the road, Radio Scotland was giving warnings of traffic restrictions on Scottish bridges due to high winds.

And so, while driving through Fife, I attempted to apply long tested observational methods (from the motorway verges on this occasion) to determine wind speed. 

Force 3

8/12/2014

Gentle Breeze

Leaves, small twigs in constant motion; light flags extended

Force 4

13-18

Moderate Breeze

Dust, leaves and loose paper raised up; small branches move.

Force 5

19-24

Fresh Breeze

Small trees begin to sway

3, 4 and 5 applied. Probably a good-enough and useful guide as to weather conditions for non-professional weather folk.

Posted

Very wet overnight but it's been dry here in the daylight hours apart from a few spots of drizzle in the wind.

The latter the main feature of the day with very strong southerly winds all day, that longevity being quite unusual.

Generally overcast with some breaks in the murk allowing sunshine to appear for a few fleeting minutes.

Also very mild with a maximum of 14C, even now its 12C outside - twice the daily maximum temperature for most of the days in the past week!

• Like 1