Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
5 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Mini Miss SS caught the crackin sunset earlier on her phone. 

IMG-20181024-WA0023.jpg

Beautiful photo , hopefully you have lots of snow this season. I wouldn’t mind quite a bit down south but after the chaos last year I find myself myself saying that with some point of tepidation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

We have a case of '...and the moonlight flits across her...' <slap> stop it this instant. 

You've been on the Gewurz again, n'est-ce pas? Yeah, launching 'the lord is out of control' repeatedly, loudly into the damp Caithness night is today's highlight, definitely. 

While watching the clouds zipping over, and seeing Beatrice taking shape out in the firth at last after how many years in planning?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Evening all.. well it's been a strange old summer.. had a momentary lapse of concentration and agreed with the wife for once.. ended up moving down to Cornwall. But fear not my friends we are heading back up to Scotland again just in time for winter to kick back in so I will be back with you all come 1st December . Lucky escape for me.

Posted

The radar is showing lots of heavy showers for northern Scotland, Lairg way and around the Highlands. Can anyone report if its snow?

Posted

Seeing as I was cold waiting on the bus this morning it must be time to stop lurking! I see the bickering has started in the Model thread already! 

Looking forward to what this late Autumn / Winter has to offer and enjoying the fun on this thread as always!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
32 minutes ago, c00ps said:

The radar is showing lots of heavy showers for northern Scotland, Lairg way and around the Highlands. Can anyone report if its snow?

Only on the hills so far at least in the Central Highlands. Should lower from the North as the day goes on. 

Here is a picture of Ben Lawers in Perthshire from Kenmore photography this morning. 

The snow line is a bit lower further North where the showers will be more frequent.

3A1D5982-A67B-477F-9FDD-EAEDD10AC608.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Actually, it's not wintertime yet. I don't keep records, but memory tells me that late Oct/early Nov does often produce an early cold snap with horrid sleet and mush for a couple of days.

• Like 1

Posted

Finally decent sun for the first time this week but has turned a lot colder (should be a sparkling weekend actually just not very warm)

Posted

I can see Ben Alisky (which isn't very high) from here and it's very white already.  Showers at low level in Caithness still just wet.

• Like 4

Posted

Did a good bit in the garden tidying up for autumn yesterday afternoon. Just as well as cold this morning with some sharp showers. Was up through the night again monitoring a couple of the last cows to calve and the temperature has fallen steadily to 4c just now.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
On 24/10/2018 at 23:07, More Snow said:

Evening all.. well it's been a strange old summer.. had a momentary lapse of concentration and agreed with the wife for once.. ended up moving down to Cornwall. But fear not my friends we are heading back up to Scotland again just in time for winter to kick back in so I will be back with you all come 1st December . Lucky escape for me.

Which bit of Cornwall are you in?

I'm a Cornish lass (if I can still be a lass at my age). Born in St Ives.

You'll have had a cracking summer.

51 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Which bit of Cornwall are you in?

I'm a Cornish lass (if I can still be a lass at my age). Born in St Ives.

You'll have had a cracking summer.

A place called pendeen.. just down from St Ives... yes the summer was a good one but he head back home to Scotland in 5 weeks time. It will be nice to be back home and continue the hunt for Snaw.

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Did a good bit in the garden tidying up for autumn yesterday afternoon. Just as well as cold this morning with some sharp showers. Was up through the night again monitoring a couple of the last cows to calve and the temperature has fallen steadily to 4c just now.

Wind much stronger now at 6c with sleety showers coming in off the Firth. A real windchill today.Going to be cold one tonight.

Update hail shower on just now.Always feel that hail cools the air and ground for settling snow to follow.We  may even see a flake at the end of this shower. Now 4.5c

Settling snow level down to 1500 feet on the Cawdor hills.

• Like 1

Posted

Frozen windscreen this morning and a fantastic clear and sunny day. Very pleasant change from the constant dreichness of recent days. 

Some nice sunny days ahead by the looks of it together with some chilly nights which will be perfect for trying out the new woodburner.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
4 hours ago, More Snow said:

A place called pendeen.. just down from St Ives... yes the summer was a good one but he head back home to Scotland in 5 weeks time. It will be nice to be back home and continue the hunt for Snaw.

Pendeen, proper Cornwall then, none of this north Cornwall close to (whisper) Devon rubbish.

Commuting between Cornwall and Scotland you'll have to make sure you don't get the lingo mixed up. No "Och Aye, me ansum, gis a haggis pasty".

We're heading down for Christmas so for once I'll be hoping for a mild December to avoid travel problems.

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone else on lamp-post / backdoor light duty tonight?

And where's Hawsey when he's needed?

Still just vaguely wintry showers here. I have 70m elevation near Wick tonight  so better than at home!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Anyone else on lamp-post / backdoor light duty tonight? 

Nope, other than the fact I'm at my parents near Glasgow, I've realised a major flaw with our new house. There's not a lampost for miles around and it's therefore pitch black outside. The light at our font door has a sensor and no override so is useless for snow watching. The garage flood can be overridden but isn't in an ideal position. The two out the back are about as bright as black holes and need changed. 

Today though it was 2C and sleeting as I left for work, heavy hail on the way home at 2pm, and definitely wet snow at around 3pm once I was back home. Heading down towards the central belt we headed over the B974 to avoid Aberdeen and it was 0C, snowing (and lying lightly) at Cairn O Mount at around 4pm. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

More Snow - I've got an online pal in Cornwall who has hardly ever seen snaw. You should've stayed there for the winter to let her see some more!

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 1