Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 hours ago, Norrance said:

But Jeremy’s brother said it in the article so it must be happening. The Mirror and Record have followed up a day later with the same story so that proves it. Winter tyres at the ready

Damn. Winter tyres time again. Mine are down to 4mm after last winter's marathon, and guess what the minimum recommended tread depth is for winter tyres. Kerching time again.

Mild and overcast in Caithness today after a chilly start.  We seem to be in some rather more benign weather now which means LESS MUD - nice!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lovely day in Aviemore yesterday and ok today although a lot cloudier. Heading home now, back to reality. Been away since Sunday and have avoided being rained on or blown away, which is a real bonus for Scotland in October (or any time). 

Need maybe to think of getting my two rear tyres changed to all seasons like I did with the front pair last credit card period. Of course, when we all do, it'll set in motion a change to an extended mild outlook. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Nice to see the -5 air returning to Scotland this early Modele GFS - Carte prévisions possibly some sleet / snow for the highest ground/mountains Netweather GFS Image also nice to see some of the GEFS members with a cool/cold pattern at the end of the month with northerly/easterly's, hopefully a sign of things to come for the upcoming winter  gensnh-1-1-228.png gensnh-5-1-288.png P6 is a lovely pattern with lows diving south, weak /non existent pv tempresult_trd4.gif P10 goes the scandi high route gens-10-1-384.png P12  tempresult_yai3.gif P13 gensnh-13-1-264.png P20 tempresult_cpy6.gif

• Like 8

Posted

Going by the 0.5cm layer of ice on the bird bath this morning, last night was the coldest night so far this autumn, with white grass frost still present at 10am in shaded areas.

Day warmed up pretty quickly after that, reaching maximum of 11C with light winds and very hazy sunshine.

The Met Office has released a Beta version of their new website - Beta Metoffice Website

The text descriptions in the local weather are cringeworthy, some examples.....

Snag_2e39dc.thumb.png.a57d0f87fdf5896dd9ad04938c515631.png

Snag_2f7fca.thumb.png.6e50565568dd23c59f545dc8f80e3d27.png

Needless to say the feedback provided was not complimentary on that aspect...  

• Like 4

Posted
36 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Going by the 0.5cm layer of ice on the bird bath this morning, last night was the coldest night so far this autumn, with white grass frost still present at 10am in shaded areas.

Day warmed up pretty quickly after that, reaching maximum of 11C with light winds and very hazy sunshine.

The Met Office has released a Beta version of their new website - Beta Metoffice Website

The text descriptions in the local weather are cringeworthy, some examples.....

Snag_2e39dc.thumb.png.a57d0f87fdf5896dd9ad04938c515631.png

Snag_2f7fca.thumb.png.6e50565568dd23c59f545dc8f80e3d27.png

Needless to say the feedback provided was not complimentary on that aspect...  

Those are shockingly turd-like, I agree.

The reports of frost are starting to mount up. I have my usual excuse - home's on the coast and work's at 15m asl and only about 10 miles from the coast. At least the car woke me up this morning near Kildary, 'BING, warning, low temperature, risk of ice!' Fat chance at 4.5C under a grey sky.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Braw morning here again. Not as cold as yesterday though.

Maybe cold enough for wintry showers in the N and NE later in the month?

ECMOPEU00_192_1.png

Edited by Norrance

Posted

First visible ground frost of the season at 2c first thing yesterday morning followed by a fine morning and a cloudy afternoon . Been very busy in this fine weather fencing,lots of posts and strainers broken over the summer in  the very dry conditions. Soil surface is dusty again. Another fine day today but no frosty start road getting dustier. Turnip crop is absolute fantastic They seem to have taken off since  early  Septembers rain with some the size of pumpkins.

On a different subject  a gruesome find yesterday a sheep that  must have had died in a field overnight was found skinned and stripped of all flesh with just the skull and backbone left even the ribs and eartag had been devoured. Obviously a band of feeding badgers had come upon it as there is well worn badger track nearby. This is the first time in my life I  have seen such feeding on a dead sheep

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all,

Very mild this morning, currently 12c/11c and cloudy. As mentioned above a recurring theme of colder air moving in from the north later next week, certainly cold enough for snow on the hills and perhaps some fleeting white stuff at lower levels in the north.

Looking forward to issuing my first set of 2018/19 individual member predictions for a widespread lowland snowfall. Fingers crossed I’m required to do it this side of Christmas! 

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 5

Posted

Mild in Caithness too, been at 10C for the last couple of hours. Overcast, little wind.

'Back to bed weather,' said Zebedee. 'Oh Zebedee,' replied Florence...

• Like 1

Posted

Superb day.  Bit overcast first thing but that soon cleared to bountiful sunshine in the afternoon, light winds and a stonking 19C.

Crathes Castle bustling as a result - gardens still full of colour with plenty of bees, hoverflies and butterflies out as well.

Snag_1209f15.thumb.png.605a5ddeaa149764fda319c8d09bbf37.png

Snag_12173f9.thumb.png.d651b0f584fb9e301473389f19d88512.png

• Like 6

Posted

Fine day yesterday reached 17c and breezy .Cut domestic grasses again .Hopefully last of season. Had some nice regrowth in grass fields which shoud keep sheep happy till Xmas.

Wet this mornning and currently 9c  Everything ready to pull in cows and new calves if weather gets very bad next weekend but will attempt to keep them out till into November if ground dry enough and and not to wet above.Still have a 5 inch soil moisture deficit so it may be possible. Dry frosty weather would be best.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted

Howdy. Time to switch the lurking mode off. Wind has more of a bite to it these days, the white stuff doesn’t feel too far away. Nice moody sunset towards the monadhlaiths last night while out with the dog

A3F01C04-7967-421F-A875-74CCBCEC1FAD.thumb.jpeg.a9dc66ecc40dcc2fff86b7a963b4bdca.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

SEPA rain gauge data available. https://apps.sepa.org.uk/rainfall 

Select a map point or search for a particular rainfall station to view rainfall data by hour, day or month. Data shown is real time rainfall data from SEPA’s automated rain gauges. By using this tool, you can access and download recent and historic data from any SEPA operated rainfall monitoring station

Map search

Each dot on the map represents a rain gauge. Moving the cursor over a dot will reveal the gauge name and the amount of recorded rainfall. The colour of the dot indicates the amount of rainfall recorded in the 36 hours before the time indicated in the pop-up information. Clicking on a dot reveals hourly, daily and monthly data of recently recorded rainfall totals, along with the running annual total at that gauge.

Station search

Enter the station/rain gauge name into the search box. Data about the amount of rainfall recorded during the 36 hours before 9am each day, along with recently recorded hourly and daily rainfall totals and a running annual total, will be displayed. Please note that timestamps of rainfall are to GMT and daily totals represent the 24 hour period from 9am each day.

2310separain.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

Howdy. Time to switch the lurking mode off. Wind has more of a bite to it these days, the white stuff doesn’t feel too far away. Nice moody sunset towards the monadhlaiths last night while out with the dog

A3F01C04-7967-421F-A875-74CCBCEC1FAD.thumb.jpeg.a9dc66ecc40dcc2fff86b7a963b4bdca.jpeg

Nice picture. You're making me homesick.  It's absolutely minging in Caithness this morning.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

GFS 6z has went back in time to 2010 with these kinds of charts tempresult_tvm0.gif tempresult_uho5.gif tempresult_wtt0.gif ❄️

before then we have the upcoming northerly and at the moment the worst of the sleet/hail/snow showers look to be around the north / west and possibly east coasts but with a strong northerly wind some of the showers should come inland too. Modele GFS - Carte prévisions Modele GFS - Carte prévisionsModele GFS - Carte prévisions Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Nice picture. You're making me homesick.  It's absolutely minging in Caithness this morning.

You may be less homesick knowing it’s grim here too HC, very dark, grey skies and showers barrelling in on a bugger of a wind from the west. Proper autumnal mince  

• Like 1

Posted

The snow swans flew in  from the east and landed in one of our stubble fields this morning flying low on the strong westerly wind. The Beast from the East will follow

Actually two groups  of whooper swans one of 9 and one of 5 arrived this morning and have been resting in a stubble field since then.

Currently very windy  dry and mild here at 15c

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

You may be less homesick knowing it’s grim here too HC, very dark, grey skies and showers barrelling in on a bugger of a wind from the west. Proper autumnal mince  

Like this? 676687810_whippedwillows.thumb.jpg.05fdda69a9fabfedfe84b466e66923c9.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Ok it's Autumn and I'm officially reporting in for duty. ?‍♀️

Hope all on the kilted thread have had a bonny spring/summer! 

• Like 5

Posted
6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

The snow swans flew in  from the east and landed in one of our stubble fields this morning flying low on the strong westerly wind. The Beast from the East will follow

Actually two groups  of whooper swans one of 9 and one of 5 arrived this morning and have been resting in a stubble field since then.

Currently very windy  dry and mild here at 15c

Just to add we are giving cows and calves arow of turnips every day and them put them back to a grass field every night.At the end of the afternoon they turned for home (the steading) and took a lot of persuading to go into the grass field. Any one who says animals cannot forecast is mistaken

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Getting some impressive drifts in front of my garage already, of leaves. The strong wind of the last 2 days doing a much better job of piling them all up neatly than I could ever achieve.

Despite the cold forecast coming up i doubt they'll be replaced by snow drifts. Might see a flurry here, but I'm in Glasgow area at the weekend so sods law is I'll miss it. 

• Like 4

Posted
19 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Getting some impressive drifts in front of my garage already, of leaves. The strong wind of the last 2 days doing a much better job of piling them all up neatly than I could ever achieve.

Despite the cold forecast coming up i doubt they'll be replaced by snow drifts. Might see a flurry here, but I'm in Glasgow area at the weekend so sods law is I'll miss it. 

Tease!

Today was much better, the ground was starting to dry up early afternoon... then there were a couple of light showers to put a stop to that.  Le ciel bleu, aussi, avec des grands nuages erm lenticular.

Everyone is wondering whether we will get snow on Saturday. Only if you can quickly build a very high hill near Wick, I think.

• Like 1