Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Risk of a few snow flurries overnight tonight in the North / NE of the region -

-7c upper air-

Theta E temps 12/13c ( a bit high )

850 thickness 1290-1300 Dam

WBFL 200M

T2M 1c minima

So I would say around midnight with some elevation >100M if there are any showers moving through then you could see some of the white stuff...

• Like 1

Posted

Another chilly/frosty night last night. Quite a few we've had recently

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Overcast and 5C in the north-east corner of Caithness, first thing.  The sky is getting greyer and greyer this morning, it looks as if it's building up to something... wet possibly?

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Overcast and 5C in the north-east corner of Caithness, first thing.  The sky is getting greyer and greyer this morning, it looks as if it's building up to something... wet possibly?

Bloody anaprop. Look at the radar, you'd think it's hammering down. Damp at most.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Driving home tonight from work tonight it was 4C and heavy rain, winter is here as we can get it a damn site warmer in Dec-Jan. I'll swear it was bordering on being just slightly sleety coming over the top of Sui Hill (390m at road level).

• Like 2

Posted

Just read that the funicular railway at Cairngorm is to close for 6 weeks because of concerns about the  condition of support pillars . Sods Law  guarantees a snowy winter now  when there is very little other uplift with some even having been dismantled. With my own industry looking for an open mild winter to ease fodder shortages a hard winter is becoming more likely be it excess  rain or snow.

Horrible cold wet afternoon here October at its worst.      Currently breezy and not too cold  at 11c

• Like 4

Posted

A glimpse of sunshine in the morning then downhill all the way after that with heavy rain by 4pm. 

Cold at 6C with a stiff W veering SW wind.

A day to forget....

• Like 2

Posted

Turned cool and wet this afternoon, felt very autumnal. Temperature peaked at 11c earlier in the day.

Managed to fit in a great walk up Buachaille Etive Beag on Friday, along with a couple of pints in the Clachaig 

D449BFF8-6649-4D42-A54F-EA81E86ACDDC.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

A workable day, if a bit blowy.

50:50 mix of sunshine and cloud all day.  NW winds, with some damaging gusts in the afternoon - leaves rapidly leaving the trees as a result!

In the sunshine felt okay but not that warm out of it, max of 12C.

Posted

Cold wet morning (max 7C) then a marked clearance in the early afternoon leaving a mixture of sunshine and cloud. 

Temperature markedly higher in the afternoon, up to a max of 14C (even now still 10.5C).

The higher temperatures have set off an explosion of small midgies, thousands of them flying around just before sunset.

Didn't hang around to find out if they were the blood-thirsty variety :wink:

• Like 2

Posted

After a bright breezy mild morning a dramatic looking  front came a cross the Firth about mid   afternnoon and gave a couple of hours rain. Cooler  clearer and dryer air  arrived about an  hour ago. Currently 9c

• Like 3

Posted

Morning & early afternoon was overcast but mild, getting up to a very respectable 15.5C accompanied by quite a stiff westerly wind.

Then a band of rain came through quickly late afternoon, leaving things feeling a good bit cooler (down to 8.5C already) - ground drying up quickly though.

Weather not as dramatic as that over in Calgary (lovely place).  Record breaking snow, though already melting steadily going by friends over there - link , link 2 ❄️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, that was a lovely day today, albeit a bit cooler than yesterday. I'm making the most of the fine weather with walks along the shore 'cos as from Sunday it's going to be pure keich. I'm quite sure I'll have developed webbed feet by this time next week. Gauny be pure drookit! Maybe we should ensure the canoe is in good working order, just in case! ?‍♀️?‍♀️

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 3

Posted
45 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Well, that was a lovely day today, albeit a bit cooler than yesterday. I'm making the most of the fine weather with walks along the shore 'cos as from Sunday it's going to be pure keich. I'm quite sure I'll have developed webbed feet by this time next week. Gauny be pure drookit! Maybe we should ensure the canoe is in good working order, just in case! ?‍♀️?‍♀️

Next week looks like a Mogwai-marathon-inducing monsoon-misfortune...

• Like 3

Posted

It is quiet on this thread?

Anyway, the sun’s out today, and of sufficient strength to allow a few white butterflies and red admirals to take to the wing ( some nectar-rich plants have had a second inflorescence) although the temp is struggling at 11C. There’s a slight northerly breeze, a blue sky dotted with a few Cu and a haze drifting aloft from the hills due to heather burning. 

The migrant thrushes from Scandinavia are returning - I've had a squad of squabblesome blackbirds in the garden over the past few days.

Reminiscent or just typical autumn weather, for the time being?

Edited by ciel
  • Like 1

Posted

First hard frost last night, enough to blacken some of the marigolds planted away from the house - the heat island effect noticeable as those near the house were untouched.

Thereafter a nice mix of sunshine and cloud, the former most abundant in the early morning and late afternoon/evening.  Max temperature of 10C and light winds.

Already down to 1C outside so going to be another cold night, though it's supposed to get milder later in the night as the cloud moves in.

Some impressive orographic precipitation over the next few days, snapshot below typifies the next few days - nothing of note over here but a bad time to go on holiday to Glenelg and environ!

Snag_28d288e.thumb.png.cb28d886ffd59b2861a7293a1c5e279b.png

• Like 1

Posted

Yup, definate signs of skin growing between toes! Damp week ahead and doesn't Friday look interesting?

• Like 2

Posted

Been a very wet day so far (and might not calm down a bit to at least wednesday then a potental bad one for friday)? (Not that i'll know about it as i'll be down south by wednesday)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

First windscreen scrape of the year Sat morning after a last minute trip to Glencoe. Weather was perfect, cold, clear, sunny and midge free.

pola2018-10-06_08-32-46.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Morning = Cold, wet, bit breezy, dreich.

Afternoon = Cold, overcast, breezy, dreich.

Mind you, kids still managed to have a good time at the Steam Fair at the Grampian Transport Museum, not often you get to see a steam powered Land Rover!

Snag_24a3cc8.thumb.png.a19962d353ad08a2197d14450662699e.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 2

Posted

So, the Met Office have issued a Yellow warning for Friday. Why Yellow? I now it's a bit away yet, but all forecasts are singing from the same hymn sheet for once. Some of those gusts are over 80mph, so why just a Yellow warning?

ukgust[1].png

w15393348000806[1].gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

It's cos your just a peasant up on Skye pet, you don't count