Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Left work early and working from home. Drive from Edinburgh to Falkirk wasn't too bad but quite wet.  Seems quite windy here just now but I've definitely seen it worse.

Anyone know what time it's meant to peak?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
6 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Left work early and working from home. Drive from Edinburgh to Falkirk wasn't too bad but quite wet.  Seems quite windy here just now but I've definitely seen it worse.

Anyone know what time it's meant to peak?

Between 2 and 3pm here.

Strongest gust here now over 70 and bridge only open to cars.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Big branches coming down off trees, and peoples caravan awnings are in tatters here in Callander- was dead calm then 1st big gust and 2 large branches came down around me so we're staying well clear. Phone signal was off for a bit and no tv reception either. Could be an interesting afternoon....

• Like 1

Posted

@Norrance Tay Bridge now closed to all traffic. Leuchars mean speed 44mph gusting 61mph. Wild and gusty in St Andrews.

Edited by Hawesy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
6 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

@Norrance Tay Bridge now closed to all traffic. Leuchars mean speed 44mph gusting 61mph. Wild and gusty in St Andrews.

6 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Yes same here. Must have topped 80mph on the bridge. 

Just viewed an interesting video of a large tree being blown down in the grounds of St Johns school.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Yes same here. Must have topped 80mph on the bridge. 

Just viewed an interesting video of a large tree being blown down in the grounds of St Johns school.

91.7mph the latest gust on the bridge!

Edited by Hawesy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Old Forth Bridge is completely shut due to the wind but the new one is still open to cars and single decker buses. Closed only to high-sided vehicles.

Graph of windspeeds:

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
21 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Old Forth Bridge is completely shut due to the wind but the new one is still open to cars and single decker buses. Closed only to high-sided vehicles.

Graph of windspeeds:

I wonder what happened to those tents I saw the other day on the new bridge.... I have an image of some dog-walker in N Queeensferry getting a sudden nasty surprise!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

102mph pm the Tay Bridge around 3pm!

Yes, confirmed at 102.2mph. Just back from town avoiding Riverside as huge queues from the bridge. Perth road closed also due to a chimney stack falling from above the shops. Lots of debris and a few fences down in my street.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Yes, confirmed at 102.2mph. Just back from town avoiding Riverside as huge queues from the bridge. Perth road closed also due to a chimney stack falling from above the shops. Lots of debris and a few fences down in my street.

New museum shut as well as too dangerous for people entering alongside the river. My mum lives up the Hilltown. Trees down and debris everywhere.

Posted
18 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

New museum shut as well as too dangerous for people entering alongside the river. My mum lives up the Hilltown. Trees down and debris everywhere.

The University site reported a gust of 91mph which is pretty high for the town away from immediately by the river.

Posted

Was almost blown off my feet within 2 minutes of getting into Glasgow today but survived the worst of the conditions (no damage to my house thankfully) the journey back to Cumbernauld wasn't pleasant though (on a stagecoach) Wind so strong on the motorway you could feel the bus shaking EEK

Posted

Subsided here now except for a few squally showers rattling through. A lot of trees down locally, the most I've seen in one go for a while. Guess that is to be expected when they are still in leaf.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Winds really picking up again here after a couple of hours of being fairly calm, and really heavy rain. Some big branches down and some broken but still hanging on- too dangerous to be out on the grounds in the campsite, luckily no trees down on caravans. It's gonna take a good few days of sawing and clearing up to get back anywhere near normal. The river Teith is not far from breaching it's banks either..

Posted

Back home in Broughty Ferry after waiting patiently for the bridge to reopen instead of opting for the 2 hour + drive via Perth which a few colleagues opted for. Patience is a virtue sometimes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Two trees had fallen on the A68 just south of Pathhead; cleared some time before I passed on my way home.

A few down locally along with assorted branches of varyingly impressive size.

Nae damage at fort SS. Just a new load of apples to gather up from the back lawn. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

A mightily impressive squall line around 1pm basically marked the transition from wet to dry (for here at least).

Literally one minute a biblical deluge of rain then the next minute blue skies, all accompanied by gusty winds.

Afternoon dry with plenty sunshine, accompanied by strong SW/W winds - though have to admit seen worse gales here.

Max temperature of 14C, though academic really thanks to the wind chill.

The resident house martins seemed to be loving the weather though, plenty around this afternoon.

Not so sure the turboprop that went over around teatime was having fun though, wings bobbing up and down like a spring - nothing quite like flight turbulence to remind yourself of your mortality  

• Like 2

Posted

Sunny, blustery and cool this morning.

Sunup.thumb.jpg.fdebc755f60193a7f97fb1abdbe3cd73.jpg

Had a quick reccy round the house this morning and fortunately no serious damage detected from yesterday's storm - just a panel on the cold frame off its hinge. The plum and apple trees have been shredded.

• Like 3

Posted

Significant dusting of snow on the webcams of Cairngorm on Winterhighland this morning . Chilly here dry and breezy at 8c. Right on cue at the equinox.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

A few photos from yesterday  Haddington and the border (driver was okay)

a1lorry2.jpg

ali1.jpg

ali2.jpg

ali3.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well that was a bit of a belter in some parts of Scotland! Hope we all survived storm Ali without too much damage done. Blustery but dry here now, temp 10c.

• Like 2