Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Amber for 65-75mph inland sounds about right to me especially in early autumn.Red seems to be reserved for 90mph + in a built up area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I am happy to be proved wrong but this Amber warning is way over the top for here. Wind gusting to 65mph, maybe 70mph is not an Amber. Does this mean an 80mph gale would be Red?  What about 90mph? Super Red with Blue spots?

I think the amber is just covering a larger area in case the storm tracks a bit differently and perhaps hits a bit harder than anticipated..... Wouldn't take much too cause a lot of issues with the trees so full of leaves

Nice to have some weather to take an interest in.....my friend has been called in to work at SSE with them anticipating issues 

Posted

Very wet in the last 24 hours so rivers now up and all these trapped salmon/ sea trout  at the mouths should get up to spawn this autumn.Ground now getting slowly softer and grass getting greener. Mild though at 13c just now

Looks as though we  will get some equinoxial gales this week  and probably  followed by the first visible snow on the high tops something I remember  a lot in late September over the years.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Caithness was a wet and midgy mess today, very unpleasant indeed.  Apparently the Ness was well up, and plenty of other rivers too.  The slow recharge of the last 3 weeks is becoming noticeable in the rivers.

Strange how unforecastable the wind speeds are, even at such short range.

• Like 4

Posted

A day of two halves. 

The morning was wet and murky but mild with light winds.

Afternoon a very pleasant affair with mainly sunny skies and a maximum temperature of 19C, though the wind noticeably picked up late in the afternoon - the prelude to the main story tomorrow, though I notice the automated met office forecast has lowered the maximum gust speed for here compared with earlier this evening.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Amber warranted I reckon, heavy foliage, not had a hoolie for  a while.. public caught up in benign weather.

System is juiced to the max via strong jet, bombing nicely on satellite. Sting jet potential in this one too.

Time for shipping forecast :) stay safe if travelling 

Screenshot_20180919-003147.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Husband says it was very still and calm when he got up at 5  but already starting to blow a bit and the clouds are flying east. I really don't like gales from the south, they hit my front windows head on and sooner or later they are going to go

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
15 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Husband says it was very still and calm when he got up at 5  but already starting to blow a bit and the clouds are flying east. I really don't like gales from the south, they hit my front windows head on and sooner or later they are going to go

Still very calm here, with some morning sunshine breaking through.

I can see the tips of the trees starting to sway a tad, but that's it so far. 

• Like 2

Posted

A fine sunrise this morning but hazing over now, breezy, temp 12C. 

I’m more concerned about the Sat/Sun storm as I am booked on a ferry from Oban on Sunday afternoon. Will that depression be as intense as originally projected? I knew adding “pack swimsuit” to the list was liable to tempt fate

Anyway I’m resigned to the likelihood of disruption to plans.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! A bit blustery during the night with a wee spattering of rain. Maybe around one and a half inches since yesterday morning. Relatively calm here, just had another wee bluster passing through. It's not going to be so bad up here, but I have a visitor travelling up from Glasgow by bus today, so that may be quite an interesting journey! Stay safe all, enjoy the storm from indoors!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Rain came on quick and now fair pishin doon. Looks impressive on the radar.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted

Wet here at the moment looks as if it gonna brighten up fairly soon though...............that's when the wind kicks in

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Heavy rain here too for the last hour. Wind at ground level is light from the ESE though the clouds are moving through from the SSW.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Police Scotland are advising drivers that the Met Office has issued an alert and that the general public should AVOID TRAVELLING ON THE ROADS in these areas. If you do travel, you will experience severe delays of several hours or more. Conditions for travel are extremely dangerous and you should avoid the specified road(s) and if you do travel you will experience severe disruption.

Police Scotland Travel Advice – Weather Conditions – High Risk of Disruption

• Aberdeen City
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Angus
  • Argyll and Bute
  • City of Edinburgh
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • Dundee City
  • East Ayrshire
  • East Dunbartonshire
  • East Lothian
  • East Renfrewshire
  • Falkirk
  • Fife
  • Glasgow City
  • Inverclyde
  • Midlothian
  • North Ayrshire
  • North Lanarkshire
  • Perth and Kinross
  • Renfrewshire
  • Scottish Borders
  • South Ayrshire
  • South Lanarkshire
  • Stirling
  • West Dunbartonshire
  • West Lothian
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Still raining quite heavily here but wind is rising from the South. Av speed at the Uni is 40mph with a peak gust so far of 65moh around 15 minutes ago. Bridge is still open to all but couple deckers.

Posted

You got to love Scotland's weather - looking outside it's literally sunny, raining and windy all at the same time, though the sun is going to go quickly.

Rain so far this morning not been that bad.  Leaves falling readily from the trees though (especially the horse chestnuts) and worst of the wind still to come so fully expect to see some bare trees by the end of the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Pelting down in Caithness, an absolute deluge. Winds nowt to speak of - yet - and it looks like tonight we'll get the worst of that.

Back to doing my impression now...

Posted

Where did summer go? Not that mine went to plan anyway as I came down with severe pneumonia and had weeks in hospital. So didn't see much of it!

First lively weather of the season and it has really picked up here now. Mix of sunshine and very squally showers. Wind really gusting now. Plenty twigs and small branches coming down from the trees behind the house with the occasional thud as they his the greenhouse. Reports of a number of local roads affected by branches and fallen trees.

Posted

Sunny raining and windy here too. A fantastic rainbow in the field so will look for the pot of gold later.20180919_102556.thumb.jpg.cc279fe6736a02ee92da7c70823609ea.jpg20180919_102605.thumb.jpg.d7af529884b847d72c9ca5f9c8829c51.jpg

Some vicious gusts last night about 1.00am has broken open gates and taken several big limbs off several ash trees  so on top of keeping an eye on calving cows have had a bit of tridying up to do this morning. Currently squally heavy rain and 12c.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Just started blowing up again, seems we were in the eye of the storm for a wee while there. It's not looking like it's going to get very wild up here, thankfully! The sun is even trying to come out now! 

Posted

Weather moving through very quickly. Rain stopped abruptly to blue skies. Now squally showers from the SW. Max gust at University now 69 and road bridge cars only. Reports of numerous trees down in Highland Perthshire blocking a number of roads.