Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

A cloudy dry day, though a clearance in the evening which is allowing temperatures to tumble (already down to 7C from a high of 15C earlier in the day).

Winds light throughout day.

Lovely clear night for star gazing thanks to the crescent moon, terrible mobile phone camera not doing it justice....

Snag_2a35a90.thumb.png.16e0c38dc2870769b4dd764c8040fd0d.png

• Like 3

Posted
19 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Getting our bees settled down for winter now as there seems to be little nectar left around for them. Still plenty of bees in the hive, who have been greedily munching through the feed we've been providing, since we have been stealing thier stores of honey earlier in the year. We were holding out hoping for some heather honey but if the heather around here has flowered it's been rather subdued. No purple tinged hills that we've noticed, maybe due to the warm, dry summer? 

Can't be sure of precise dates, but I do remember looking at the hills and remarking that the heather appeared to be in flower, around here anyway, maybe early to mid August? The garden heather is in full bloom just now - ie what survived the garden fire.

I gave the Nepeta and Buddleia a partial haircut a few weeks ago and the renewed, but subdued flowering, has attracted many honey bees and bumblers - even a few butterflies in the cooler breezier weather over the past few days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Loads of berries around at the moment. Think these might even be wild greengages.

IMG_20180909_125207.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

A damp evening, though I suspect not enough rain to resolve the drought.

Before that a very serviceable day - light winds, dry and some reasonably long spells of sunshine, particularly in the morning.  Max temperature of 16C.

Trees now starting to show their autumnal coat, especially horse chestnuts which in some cases have already dropped a lot of their leaves.

A snapshot to illustrate the weather at lunchtime, looking south towards Cluny Castle.

Snag_757c5ae.thumb.png.9290d9e41fd411cd0db774b1c7ccb948.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 3

Posted

Woken at 04:00 with torrential rain and very gusty wind. Autumn proper!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
On 06/09/2018 at 17:15, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

just for fun but here are two of the latest runs of the cfs 9 months for christmas eve/ christmas day (a possible pattern of a northerly? recent runs have also showed some easterlys) tempresult_cib1.gif tempresult_cxi6.gif tempresult_mpv4.gif tempresult_mkh7.gif ❄️☃️⛄:santa-emoji:

10 days on (still just for fun but worth checking for a recurring pattern) and now the signal looks to be a possible scandi high / easterly with 3 of the last 4 runs showing this as a possibility

cfs-0-2436.png?00 00z run

cfs-0-2424.png?12 12z run

cfs-0-2442.png?18 18z run

as for the current weather, heavy rain overnight with 6.9mm today heaviest was 3.6mm/hr at 04:40am

another thing worth keeping an eye on for us Scots is a possible storm next Thursday/Friday/weekend here are the last 2 gfs runs 

Netweather GFS Image Netweather GFS Image

ecmwf develops it on the sunday Netweather GFS Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

'Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness...'

My least favourite season really, at least in terms of weather. Mainly it involves just waiting around for a couple of months before snow watching seasons begins.

Best thing is the fruit. 

Today was quite pleasant though, mild 15 C with occasional sun, although breezy.

A dug walk by the Leader water revealed some flowers in late bloom. Not sure what they are; all over the riverbank. Some sort of wild orchid?

Also these blue berries on a large shrub, which I've seen a few times, but don't know what they are. Anyone? @Hairy Celt? They look quite juicy!

As for the apples in the gairden....Holy guacamole we've a lot this year. As I mentioned in a past post as they developed, we've a massive, bumper harvest and they're perfect. The trees have loved the cold winter and dry spring. Branches are touching the ground they're so heavily landen with quickly reddening fruit. Little to no blackspot blemishing either due to the hot weather.

I'm going to put some outside the house for people passing to just take. That and if we have time, swap them at Thistly Cross brewery for some cider!

DSC_0242.JPG

DSC_0249.JPG

DSC_0253.JPG

DSC_0255.JPG

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 6

Posted
30 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Maybe a blackthorn hedge with sloes?

Thanks. Having googled images of sloes, I believe that's exactly what they are.

To acid to eat raw, but perfect for preserves and gin!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
52 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

SS I'm wondering how you can grow these apples and sloes - I thought you were the same height as me asl? Granted the sloes will be lower down if they're by the river, but we canny grow apples here at all. Neighbour got told we're too high. (Just moaning cos I love sloe gin and havent had any for years...)

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, mardatha said:

SS I'm wondering how you can grow these apples and sloes - I thought you were the same height as me asl? Granted the sloes will be lower down if they're by the river, but we canny grow apples here at all. Neighbour got told we're too high. (Just moaning cos I love sloe gin and havent had any for years...)

Something to do with the soil maybe?

Lauderdale is somewhat unusual for the hilly parts of the borders in that it is underlain by a tongue of old red sandstone. Our soil is pH neutral because of this I understand, so most things grow reasonably well (only strong acid or alkaline lovers are unhappy). 

A quick search suggests apples prefer mildly acid soils, and the bulk of the southern uplands are shales, siltstones, thin limestones... which should give more alkaline soils. Maybe this, with your elevation, is enough to tip the balance and make it too inhospitable for apples?

EDIT, I should add our garden is completely forest sheltered from the wind and a frost hollow. Maybe apples like that too?

P912313.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, mardatha said:

(Just moaning cos I love sloe gin and havent had any for years...)

I usually get a present of sloe gin from my son (Dunbar) at Xmas. He just won't disclose where he harvests the berries. :wallbash: 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
25 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

P912313.jpg

This makes sense yes. and yes we are exposed to the wind here/

Snot fair. Not fussy on apples, I hate the things but I would like some sloe gin..........

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Some snow maybe on the tops up your way next weekend:D

graphe_ens3_rou3.thumb.gif.231dddb1c448a3757639c35ae10bade5.gif12_165_preciptype.png.342bb9973463b0e8f9606485f757049a.thumb.png.9d7f22f987dfd93d0c602b10d8ee203e.png

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Gin!? Naughty.

Meanwhile it's the Autumn Public Holiday in Edinburgh tomorrow. I have beer in front of me, which is purely coincidental.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, scottish skier said:

A dug walk by the Leader water revealed some flowers in late bloom. Not sure what they are; all over the riverbank. Some sort of wild orchid?

DSC_0242.JPG

That looks like Himalayan Balsam (Impatiens Glandulifera), a complete thug of a plant that, pretty as it is, can wreck the local landscape in the same way as Rhododendron Ponticum.

A prime candidate for a flame thrower in my book !

A decent amount of rain last night then a passable day today.  Dry, light SW winds and a max temperature of 17C. 

Feeling a bit chilly outside just now (currently 9C) and going by the noise, a large skein of geese just passed over the house heading south (my guess to the Montrose Basin as we seem to be on the main flight path down to there from the feeding grounds around the Moray coast/Banffshire).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Good morning from a rather damp but balmy Skye! Currently 19c and we had over two inches of rain since yesterday morning and more to come over the next few days with a bit of blusteriness thrown in. Best make sure everything is tied down and that drains and ditches are clear. ?️☔

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Quite mild and humid in sunny Mwell, noticeable compared to the last few days.The warning for tomorrow looks of more interest here, the max wind gusts have been steadily going up from 40 odd the other day to 60mph at the moment so it looks like the first proper windy day. 

Edited by Ross90
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Amber warning for the Central belt wind tunnel for tomorrow now.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Amber warning for the Central belt wind tunnel for tomorrow now.

And guess whose supposed to be travelling into Glasgow tomorrow (can't be avoided either)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Amber wind warning Southerly winds through morning SW/west Scotland morning rush, veering to SW, over much of Scotland by late morning and  lunchtime. East and far north afternoon, then another bout with SW winds later in the day #StormAli 

Frontal rain leading to hefty, thundery showers with hail by the afternoon

Gusts over 70knots, even near to 80knots possible in exposure. Central west coast through to Strathclyde looking prone

1809amberali.png

aliwinds.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Evening all,

Been a while since I posted but the weather has been fairly bland so far this September.

Looks like that will change tomorrow as Jo’s post illustrates, have already told folk in work the Tay Bridge may be closed to all traffic for a while in the middle of the day. With the trees still full of leaves could definitely be some issues with downed branches. Take care.

• Like 5