Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Various sorts of rain today, all of it wet, some heavy, some lashing (like now), some a bit more moderate... Keep thinking it's got to stop soon but it doesn't.  

In case I haven't made myself clear, it's raining. Everything outdoors is wet.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Today’s max of 12.3C just after midnight is our lowest here since the 3rd of May.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Not quite as cold, or quite as wet as I was expecting, but still bleugh like elsewhere. Stuck the woodburner on around 5pm anyway and enjoyed being toastie. 

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, mardatha said:

Bleugh

4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Precisely.

A perfect two word summary - twas a lovely October day outside. 

A max of 13C saw the kids ordering the central heating on, not that there was much resistance from the parents on that decision.

• Like 1

Posted

This morning was crap but Caithness was the place to be this afternoon - plenty of warm sunshine and little wind. And no WFFs.

• Like 1

Posted

A unusual sunrise this morning, the cloud cover being just sufficient to make the sun appear as a orange disc (photo taken around 8am).

Temperature up to 13C already so should be a pleasant day for working outside.

Snag_2a6bfc.thumb.png.52fe3b86fea8994ec3ec844fc85bd359.png

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Quinach said:

A unusual sunrise this morning, the cloud cover being just sufficient to make the sun appear as a orange disc (photo taken around 8am).

Same here, and the sun is still trying hard, but not quite managing to burn off the cloud.

Nevertheless, I think quite a nice day portends. Temp 14C at present, with a slight breeze from the SW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Disappointingly cloudy and feeling cool though dry. Sun is trying to break through but so far unsuccessfully. 15.2C

Posted
5 hours ago, Quinach said:

Temperature up to 13C already so should be a pleasant day for working outside.

Snag_2a6bfc.thumb.png.52fe3b86fea8994ec3ec844fc85bd359.png

Noticed the sun too this morning and thought it a bit strange. However I see Jo ( Netweather) says it is smoke particles from the wildfires in North America. More evidence of a very dry Northern Hemisphere

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Noticed the sun too this morning and thought it a bit strange. However I see Jo ( Netweather) says it is smoke particles from the wildfires in North America. More evidence of a very dry Northern Hemisphere

Particulates from America??? Sounds bizarre, if it was that much wouldn't we smell it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
46 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

I noticed, both yesterday and today, that the 'blue' patches of sky were a wee bit grey-looking, and the clear bits near the horizon were of a strange yellowish hue...Could that be the same thing...? 

Posted

From showery rain at 6.15am to sunny skies 19°C at 3pm. Lovely day.

• Like 1

Posted

A lovely late summer day.  Generally sunny with light winds and a maximum temperature of 18C.

Lovely evening to cap it all.  Long range forecast also looks hopeful for the next week or so.

Snag_8499b0a.thumb.png.401132dad1dafbb1cf56261db0e56d49.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

(C) Met Office

Braemar      ABERDEENSHIRE   -1.3
Altnaharra   SUTHERLAND      -0.3
Balmoral           ABERDEENSHIRE   0.0
Aboyne        ABERDEENSHIRE   0.3
Edited by Jo Farrow
update to min temps
  • Like 3

Posted

A chilly night last night here with a low of 2c.  

As for the last 'official' day of summer it has been a cracker with blue skies and a max of 19c, though a bit breezy this afternoon.

Definitely one of the best summers here weatherwise and the ground is still pretty dry even with the return to 'normal' precipitation in the last month.

And if the forecasters are to be believed still a few weeks of good weather ahead. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Quinach said:

A chilly night last night here with a low of 2c.  

As for the last 'official' day of summer it has been a cracker with blue skies and a max of 19c, though a bit breezy this afternoon.

Definitely one of the best summers here weatherwise and the ground is still pretty dry even with the return to 'normal' precipitation in the last month.

And if the forecasters are to be believed still a few weeks of good weather ahead. 

Same here in Caithness today, just warm sunshine all day, till a bit of colourful cloud at dusk added to the 'end of summer' feeling.

Watercourses are still at very low levels here, with smaller burns barely flowing, as they've been since the middle of June.

Folk are talking about the 'best' summer they can remember, which depends on how old they are...  I should look up the rainfall and temperatures for 1976 - anyone remember an earlier, drier one? My parents used to talk about 1940, but that was for south England.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I remember 1984 or 85 was very good, but that might have just been locally down here in the Borders HC. Very dark and gloomy start here and wind is cold, hope the sun comes out later.

Posted

Nice last day of summer here too yesterday, with plentiful sunshine, a min of 3c and max of 19c. August as a whole was unremarkable. After a warm start temperatures ended up right around average for the month, as did rainfall. Sunshine was 83% of normal (Leuchars figures). Still two great summer months out of three ain’t bad! 

First day of meteorological autumn is cloudy and dull but mild at 14c. Not expecting to see much drizzle over here on the east coast, heading out for a walk around Tentsmuir and back up to Dundee!

• Like 1

Posted

More or less a muggy overcast day here. Although temp was only around 16C at the most, it felt quite warm.

The sky this evening after a temporary clearance of some sorts.

1405202398_cirrus2.thumb.jpg.7facadd9b0e53f3c264ca8a52d7745a4.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Another lovely warm dry day.

Quite a bit of cloud but the sun managed to break through for a while mid-afternoon allowing temperatures to climb to the heady heights of 20.5C.  Variable wind, gusty for a time in the afternoon.

This is really turning into a strange year for wildlife round here, now got a resident hedgehog - much to the kids delight.  Very unusual as they usually avoid the house thanks to the resident dogs/cats.  It's got a good appetite as well, already demolished a whole apple this evening.

Snag_852b83b.thumb.png.7b4183b483c9a6faa3112da846b4bcbf.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! A fair enough morning here, very mild with a stiff breeze accompanying it. Temp currently around 16.8c. I feel we are coming into a more interesting season as far as the weather is concerned. Equioctial gales, crisp mornings, amazing colours and that wonderful 'feel' that only autumn has. Without doubt my favourite season! Having said that, it'll be raining here before long. ☔

• Like 2

Posted

Another terrible day for plant life as we have a gale force southerly wind at 22c and 20%RH .The drought is wose than ever even green grass is brittle and the autumn colours are fast appearing on the trees. Clouds of dust are swirling off all the farm tracks.

• Like 3