Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
15 hours ago, scott125 said:

To me been  the poorest month of the summer for a long time now , i prefer early summer . Even September can be a lot better . In england and Europe its more a holiday month . I think early August has the highest average temperatures though. 

Yep, May and September have been almost been the best 'summer' months with August poor and June/July a mixed bag, weird!

• Like 2

Posted

Another very agreeable day weatherwise. 

Light winds and a maximum temperature of 21C.  Bright for most of the day but overcast this evening with the rain not far away by the looks of things.

Example below of how Hoverflies are everywhere at the moment, fascinating creatures really as apparently most of them have come over from Europe going by this Facebook site.

Snag_b6aec9d.thumb.png.5f730ad82e6c3d8b092211450ba10b47.png

• Like 1

Posted

Glad to see everyone is out enjoying the weather :wink:

Beautiful day that has improved as the day has gone on.

Breezy but it's one of those nice soft warm winds from the west.  Temperature max of 23C. 

Bit cloudy to start with but cloud has thinned and cleared as the day has gone on to leave abundant warm sunshine at the moment.

• Like 3

Posted

Drizzle/smirry rain on. Saves me half an hour of watering! 

Posted

Turned warm and sunny this afternoon, 23.4c the max at Leuchars. Certainly looks like turning cooler later in the week,  after a very warm start to August.

Posted

Breezy but not too cool at 21c this afternoon so crop steadily ripening. Hoping to cut a bit tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
43 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Turned warm and sunny this afternoon, 23.4c the max at Leuchars. Certainly looks like turning cooler later in the week,  after a very warm start to August.

It has been a bit cloudier since the beginning of August and there have been a few showers. However max temps have been well over average here except for the1st which was 18.2C. Since then we have had 22.8, 23.4, 21.0, 22.2 and 21.9C so warm rather than scorchio. The ground is still very dry and grass exposed to the sun is not recovering.

• Like 2

Posted

Not a great photo but the glow to the north just now added to by noctulucient cloud probably almost the last of the season. P8060062.thumb.JPG.6906e9e64eb085b3bc1789c70fcca4b5.JPG

Much fresher feeling too at 13c kinder to the skin and the eyes which have been very sensitive recently to the heat and the dust off everything.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted

Round cattle this morning and they are really looking well having spent a summer mostly lying in the sun tleand in spite of not having much grass as they need very little feed to keep them warm but only growth.However one of the costs with the rock hard ground is a lot of broken posts and strainers as these are now very dry and brittle and if the cattle scratch themseves on them they break very easily. September is going to be a fencing month. Currently overcast calm and 16c

• Like 1

Posted

Super combining day with clouds of dust off the combine and still only the 7th of August and about a quarter done. 20180807_100800.thumb.jpg.5b0aa44a8ec962a70743c418deca08af.jpgP8070070.thumb.JPG.3edfe477e92c3f6e9e438a5e6fbc163d.JPG

Fairly breezy , low humidity  with sunny periods and up to 17c in the afternoon

• Like 7

Posted

Another most agreeable day weatherwise.

Overcast for pretty much the whole day with a few bright interludes but feeling lovely with a maximum temperature of 21C.

Light to occasionally fresh westerly wind and dry.

Rather spiffing sunset this evening.

Snag_26b9930.thumb.png.5f3cdd30848fb3103962f530d2d7b131.png

• Like 3

Posted

Sitting here raging that the weather for the only camping trip I've booked with the kids all summer is looking pretty awful!

Posted

A showery day book-ended by blue skies and sunshine. 

Some impressive showers this afternoon but no stratospheric's that I could see. 

Light winds and a pleasant max of 20C - feeling decidedly cool outside now though with current temp of 9C (dropped 3C in last hour).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning campers! Cauld, raining and downright dreich! I can see the fire being lit today!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

We'll be getting into what I call the Dog Days soon. Traditionally the dog days of summer are when the dog star, or Sirius, is visible in the sky, and coincided with the hottest, most sultry days of the summer. I believe farmers may refer to it a lot, I'm not sure.

However, my idea of the dog days are those late days of summer, where you began to sense the season was on the wane. The last of the heat was still in the sun, and you can still get some nice weather, but the novelty of glorious sunny days has begun to wear off (as if it ever could in Scotland!), the school holidays have ended - meaning delight for some, but I associated it with the foreboding of my youth of having to return to class. It's like nature is saying the fun is over soon, and you feel like you're just waiting for autumn to make it's first appearance.

Obviously a bit early for autumn talk, and there should hopefully be a good month or so of mainly decent enough weather to go, but just thought I'd make a post about what this time of year means to be and the associations that it brings in my head. In some ways I find it quite pleasant, giving the chance to make the most of the remaining light nights, and in better summers such as this, you hope that they will never end.

• Like 9

Posted

Loading grain this morning 24 hours after cutting it. Quality  is not good and would not be accepted  in a normal year but in a year with a worldwide severe shortage of grain every grain is needed.  P8090080.thumb.JPG.a7781141b1b9f2ddc7082818985ac4b2.JPG  Yields are down a bit but prices are going up every day on the grain   futures markets so that will help..  So after getting a text telling me the bad results the frown of PHT  ( pre harvest  tension)  has disappeared to be replaced with a smile as the quality goalposts were moved.   Note the brown grass. Fresher today with a maximum of 16c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A gorgeous day here with sunny ints and a high of 19.6C. Currently some light showers around giving great rainbows in the sunshine. Pictures didn’t really capture this double rainbow with all colours clear in the main bow.

C1D562E7-8489-4289-9468-116DAF3478EE.jpeg

9D49614E-D647-4E36-9350-9FB33003A7D3.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well after a lovely couple of weeks holiday in les Alpes-Maritimes (again) for the end of July, back in Scotland it's been just a return to normal Scots summer weather.... as everyone is quite aware of, so not much to add really.

My lawn has recovered; big brown patches when I got back from France are green again, particularly with clover (which I learned from @Northernlights is deep rooted). Some plants seem to be giving it a shot at a second round of flowering if they can squeeze one in; the first round being tempered by drought.

Apples seems seriously well advanced; lots of them, big / juicy, and already turning red. The trees were starting to dump a lot of undeveloped fruit a few weeks back, presumably due to the drought, but then the recent rain seems to have given them a boost.

• Like 4

Posted

Heaviest rain I've seen in a good while - currently chucking it down in St Andrews.

Posted

A very nice afternoon with sunshine and mostly clear  blue skies after a heavy shower. A run of nearly 50 days with highs of 18C+ came to an end this week and last few weeks have seen more normal summer weather with less heat and more clouds and periods of rain though like today there have been plenty of decent spells of sunshine though not as spectacular as the run of days with unbroken sunshine earlier in the summer. We've had a couple of days with autumnal wet windy and chilly conditions which we are used to experiencing throughout the year except this year has been the other way round with a few blips inbetween periods of sunny and quite fine and dry weather. I'm not expecting too much in the way of heat during the final weeks of summer. Temperatures in the mid-high 20s are more likely in May than late August/September. We're overdue a memorable August with a spell of proper summer weather instead of generally humid and overcast/damp conditions. At times August is more like early autumn than late summer while September can be more summery with quiet periods of fine weather. The days getting shorter and the nights darker are the first signs that autumn is just around the corner. The chances of seeing noctilucent clouds fades though we can hopefully look forward to displays of the northern lights and this weekend's meteors if skies remain clear. 

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely sunny start to the day but that didn't last long with the late morning through to late afternoon dominated by heavy, slow moving showers.

Feeling cool with a max temperature of 16C even though winds were light.

This evening it feels decidedly chilly outside with the skies clearing quickly - though a few showers still about, these looking quite picturesque in the setting sun...

20180810.thumb.jpg.a2271896481bce31cf86ef6c2a5bf844.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

A mild day, this was. Loads of stratus and a few impressive cumulus around with the sun occasionally peeking through.Temps around 14-19 C

Arbroath smokies warmed in a little butter, and some Ayrshire tatties tonight. Probably taken outside wth a glass of red.

• Like 2

Posted

Very pleasant afternoon at the Peeblesshire show. Bits of blue sky but mainly cloudy - warm. Bought a mug lol..

• Like 3