Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
7 hours ago, lorenzo said:

@Northernlights i genuinely wish I could say anything of comfort, this is genuinely off the grid as far as normal weather regimes are concerned.

I like to think of Scotland's most well know singularity ( so named after Buchan singularties ) as being in May.

in 70% of years, this singularity repeats, an HP cell between 15th and 29th May each year.

Except this year it maintained! 

Incredible synoptics and HP in the offing to re-establish after this week, that plus atlantic SSTa and Solar Min.

Watch out for Sea Ice stories over the next few months too..

Thanks for this .Drought Summit being held in London  today Wednesday the  1st of August between all the farm unions and Mr Gove today as most livestock farmers in the UK only have two thirds of their winter feeding requirements made so far this summer, lots of animals are being sent to slaughter early to reduce pressure on this feed which is already being fed in some fields as grass stops growing. We are supplementing too. Not only this vegetables as well will be short this autumn as irrigation supplies are exhausted. At the risk of repeating myself food supplies l will top politicians agendas this autumn not Brexit as large parts of the Northern Hemispheres food growing areas are suffering drought.

• Like 4

Posted

Next dollop of rain isn't far away hopefully a drier weekend on the cards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Up in Enbra today, was dull and windy. Back home and it's wet and windy. Bleugh,

• Like 1

Posted

Overcast & feeling quite cool today even with a max of 18c on the thermometer and light winds.  

Quite persistent rain for a couple of hours this evening much to the disgust of the kids - the recent rain seems to be too late for some of the Rowan trees as a lot of their leaves are turning yellow. 

Cereals & oilseed all look ready for harvesting round here. Interesting to read about the pink barley straw thanks to @Northernlights so will be on the look out for that.  

Posted

More rain. Not been the greatest of weeks but we've needed it

Posted

Hot and sultry today, max of 25C and light winds - very acceptable and some lovely cloudscapes during the day as well as the cloud bubbled up.

Evening not so acceptable with yet again some persistent and heavy rain curtailing any outdoor activities.  Not cold though.

Tomorrow could go with a bang going by the forecast, just like last Friday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
10 hours ago, Quinach said:

Tomorrow could go with a bang going by the forecast, just like last Friday

Or maybe not. The rain/thunder seems to have all but disappeared from our local forecast this morning. 

Posted

Ah, now yellow warning for thunderstorms for Aberdeen & Aberdeenshire. Not a surprise after just how much I was sweating just doing some weeding. Warm and very humid feeling. 

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, warm and humid.  Some big clouds bubbling up already.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, warm and humid here too, temp around 24C, and with a refreshing breeze. A fair amount of cumulus above here, but looking quite benign at the moment.

I see there is some thundery activity up in the cold shoulder which maybe moving south, or south-east into the N. Sea.?

Posted

Another lovely day and a lot better than that forecasted by the Met Office et al.

25C max again with a nice cooling breeze.  Dry here but you could see some impressive Cumulonimbus forming during the morning towards the NE.

Shot below summarises the weather the last few days, may the rest of August be the same!

IMG_20180803.thumb.jpg.58eaf5f46513d0acb129e39b23eee6e2.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Very pleasant Summers day here. Max of 23.2C, sunny spells and a nice fresh breeze making it feel comfortable. Looks like a fresher and cooler night to come. Ideal

• Like 1

Posted

Is it just me or did August used to be a much better month around here, specifically in the 90s and early 2000s? It always seemed to be lovely weather for going back to school. Since the mid-late 00s it seems to have gotten so much worse, in particular the lack of sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Morning all.  Aestivation over. What bloody heatwave? Hat and coat weather in Caithness. 

Several pages of posts to read when work simmers down.

• Like 6

Posted

Back home after my adventure in the Alps and it was very pleasant when I got back yesterday afternoon, 24c and sunny in Dundee! Lively breeze in Broughty Ferry took the edge off the temperature but a nice welcome home! Shaping up to be decent today as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
5 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Back home after my adventure in the Alps and it was very pleasant when I got back yesterday afternoon, 24c and sunny in Dundee! Lively breeze in Broughty Ferry took the edge off the temperature but a nice welcome home! Shaping up to be decent today as well.

Very pleasant though a bit more cloud and not quite so warm Currently sunny ints and a temp of 20.7C. Fresh Westerly breeze.

Posted

Was fairly drizzly and cloudy to start with but has improved. It's actually blissful. Sun is out and we have no real warmth. Probably absolutely perfect

• Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, Duncan McAlister said:

Is it just me or did August used to be a much better month around here, specifically in the 90s and early 2000s? It always seemed to be lovely weather for going back to school. Since the mid-late 00s it seems to have gotten so much worse, in particular the lack of sunshine.

To me been  the poorest month of the summer for a long time now , i prefer early summer . Even September can be a lot better . In england and Europe its more a holiday month . I think early August has the highest average temperatures though. 

• Like 1

Posted

A overcast day but pleasant enough with a gentle breeze, dry and temperature max of 20C.

Another example of what a strange year this has been for nature is the number of Hoverflies.

We rarely see them in any number here - but my goodness, this year they are everywhere.  Just wish I had a camera when visiting a friend this afternoon - there were dozens and dozens of them swarming round a blooming buddleia bush, which was already smothered in butterflies (cabbage whites are also very abundant this year, the caterpillars are certainly massacring our Nasturtiums).

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Quinach said:

A overcast day but pleasant enough with a gentle breeze, dry and temperature max of 20C.

Another example of what a strange year this has been for nature is the number of Hoverflies.

We rarely see them in any number here - but my goodness, this year they are everywhere.  Just wish I had a camera when visiting a friend this afternoon - there were dozens and dozens of them swarming round a blooming buddleia bush, which was already smothered in butterflies (cabbage whites are also very abundant this year, the caterpillars are certainly massacring our Nasturtiums).

We've got a Buddleia bush outside our garage that if you walk past at the moment releases a massive cloud of hover flies, butterflies, bumble bees and assorted other insects. Its virtually crawling with insects at times, impressively so. 

As you said, a very decent day, which was warm enough for an outside BBQ with my visiting parents. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2