Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

A beautiful evening with clear blue skies but step outside and it feels decidedly autumnal due to a cool, strong and gusty Southerly wind - the air feels remarkably fresh compared to the muggy feel of the last few days.

The wind is drying things up quickly after the deluge overnight/this morning - some very heavy outbreaks of rain this morning before things started to clear up in the early afternoon. 

Garden already looking fresher for the rain!

• Like 1

Posted

Rain and wind's really unleashed here again. Think it's safe to say the heatwave is over ;)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Torrential rain and howling wind and really cold here, husband has lit the fire . It's November!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Could whoever flicked on the Autumn switch please turn it of again.I mean w.t.f  2 nights ago at this time it was 24c now tonight it's 10c  with a windchill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Incredible drop in temperature from last night even.

So many people out and about without jackets been caught out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Wet, windy and cool here too. Temp dropped from over 20C in late afternoon to 11C now with wind and rain. Many caught out at the open air concert this evening at Slessor Gardens in town having dressed for Summer.

Here is one photo of the lightning last night taken from Albert Street in Dundee and copied online.

08922D1B-98E4-430F-BC3E-1C87E2C9573E.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Shame it's been photoshopped Norrance. Bet there was an original decent photo there.

On 26/07/2018 at 22:35, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
44 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Shame it's been photoshopped Norrance. Bet there was an original decent photo there.

Oh!

Ta Shuggee. 

How can I tell it is a photoshop? It has been shared on social media and the local newspaper has gone with it too.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted

Actually have just noted another one doing the rounds which has lead to a big debate on FB about photoshopping or colour enhancing.

Here it is!

FACC64D5-A52D-4F6C-99C3-66CB3E459461.jpeg

Posted
37 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Oh!

Ta Shuggee. 

How can I tell it is a photoshop? It has been shared on social media and the local newspaper has gone with it too.

Look at the two horizontal lightning traces - they're identical. One would have been sufficiently stunning N!

• Thanks 1

Posted

When we get a weekend as wet and grey as this, it really reminds me how good this summer has been so far.

• Like 2

Posted

Felt cold here early on. Heating on in this morning! After a showery and windy day, 

walk_.thumb.jpg.76f0625259a011c8e1018bc7849d2f49.jpg

a pic from doggie’s last walk this evening, showing various levels of cloud formations.

• Like 6

Posted

Much cooler today .Got a good nights sleep last night. A few photos from the last week. Currently light rain and 13c

Last of hay baled into round bales last Tuesday in warm very dry conditions.052.thumb.JPG.d2c74d250f4635cd28814f3de9e20021.JPG

Taking in bales in the evening.057.thumb.JPG.db028b4f871bc78260147b62a23fb307.JPG

Photo of last sown almost ripe spring barley today only just at the end of July. 059.thumb.JPG.ece86dc813d2018f39677aa29dcfe16a.JPG             2018 is certainly an amazing year weatherwise.

• Like 8

Posted
4 hours ago, howham said:

When we get a weekend as wet and grey as this, it really reminds me how good this summer has been so far.

Indeed, dreich day with plenty of heavy rain in the afternoon and cool at 14C max.

Going by the completely unscientific bird bath measuring gauge there has been around 25mm of rain here since Friday evening.

Kids so hacked off with the rain they even watched Moana twice - that Shiny song does stick in your head.

Edited by Quinach

Posted

Totally nuts sky tonight! Best display of noctilucent clouds I've seen in a good while.

Still haven't sussed how to up load pics ( I know - sadsack!)

• Like 3

Posted

Usable day until 4pm with a pleasant max temperature of 19C, light winds and occasional sunny periods.

After 4pm its been another story with rain (some heavy) and a cool feeling 13C - really noticed the shortening nights this evening, lights on by 8pm.

• Like 1

Posted

I was in Edinburgh most of the day (see I do travel) lol for the most part stayed dry to about 4ish then the rain clouds gathered and was pretty wet for a while actually but when I got back into Glasgow everything had just about cleared

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lovely morning at Rosemarkie on the Black Isle as the last stop of our holiday before we head home tomorrow. Wife wanted to stop off to see her favourite animal, no not @Hairy Celt, but the dolphins, at Channory, who will hopefully put in an appearance in an almost flat calm sea.

Last few days over west in Morven were a bit more unsettled, with us actually getting wet one day. Really though, getting rained on only once during a week in NW Scotland even in July, isn't too bad. 

• Like 5

Posted

Really devastating day now for anything left green on the farm with a gale force southerly wind at 27% RH and 18c.(The RH in the house is 62%)

Neeps and grass wilting and dying back.Lots of apples and plums being dropped by the trees as drought bites harder today .You would wonder whether there was any rain at all in the last week . Don"t want to water anything as on well supply and needing it for personal use. Dust is blowing off tracks in great clouds.

Only positive thing is spring barley is ripening faster than ever.     Seeing and hearing of reports of pink straw in barley one theory being that the barley plant has died  suddenly from drought trapping  various nutrients in the stems creating the pink colour

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I think you'd need strong nerves to be a farmer NL...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Really devastating day now for anything left green on the farm with a gale force southerly wind at 27% RH and 18c.(The RH in the house is 62%)

Neeps and grass wilting and dying back.Lots of apples and plums being dropped by the trees as drought bites harder today .You would wonder whether there was any rain at all in the last week . Don"t want to water anything as on well supply and needing it for personal use. Dust is blowing off tracks in great clouds.

Only positive thing is spring barley is ripening faster than ever.     Seeing and hearing of reports of pink straw in barley one theory being that the barley plant has died  suddenly from drought trapping  various nutrients in the stems creating the pink colour

Another observation is that with the very dry air visibility is outstanding with the hills across the Firth showing up in great detail.This is unusual at this time of year when everything is usually much more hazy in the distance.

• Like 3

Posted

Working in Glasgow tomorrow.

Shall I need to don a woolly, a jacket and take a brolly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

@Northernlights i genuinely wish I could say anything of comfort, this is genuinely off the grid as far as normal weather regimes are concerned.

I like to think of Scotland's most well know singularity ( so named after Buchan singularties ) as being in May.

in 70% of years, this singularity repeats, an HP cell between 15th and 29th May each year.

Except this year it maintained! 

Incredible synoptics and HP in the offing to re-establish after this week, that plus atlantic SSTa and Solar Min.

Watch out for Sea Ice stories over the next few months too..

Edited by Paul
  • Like 5