Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Nearly all growth has stopped. The trees and countryside are taking on an autumn colour.

Pointed out by a follow beekeeper on Sunday that she'd seen stands of rosebay willow herb, an important late food supply for bees, that were starting to flower already. I've started to see the same myself, about a month earlier than normal. Great for the bees, but an early start likely means an earlier finish and therefore longer having to feed the bees through winter (or autumn onwards this year). 

Same weather here as @Quinach, 23C before 11am, clouded a bit in afternoon but still easily warm enough to sit out. Less cloud now and still very pleasant. 

• Like 1

Posted

Cloudy.

Hot.

Still.

Bone dry.

• Like 1

Posted

Leuchars reached 20c today for the first time since last Thursday. Heatwave you say? Leuchars has a negative temperature anomaly for July so far...

I still think the weekend looks promising for much of the east coast to get in on the heat with less of an easterly component to the wind. The automated Met Office forecast (for what its worth) has 22c for Broughty Ferry both Saturday and Sunday - the highest temperature I’ve seen it forecast all year!

• Like 2

Posted

Very unscientific but I just had a look to see how many warm (arbitrary I know but let’s go with 20c or higher) days in the last 4 weeks (5 Jun to 3 Jul). This obviously includes the cool unsettled period before the current heatwave.

Leuchars 5

Glasgow Airport 15

Edinburgh Airport 5

Inverness Airport 8

Aviemore 12

Lerwick 0

Strathallan 14

Aberdeen Airport 5

Stornoway 4

Conclusions? We’ve all seen an extraordinarily dry and sunny spell of weather. But the real heat has been reserved for  inland areas. For example last June was +0.8c warmer in Leuchars than June 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

My last day working away (Tennessee) before flying home tomorrow and it's hit 106f which I think is about 41c! Brutal! Looking forward to getting home, seeing my wife and kids and getting ready for a wee trip to Yorkshire for a week!

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like the local corvid population had a good breeding season as that is the largest flock I've seen round here for years.

Or should I call it a murder of crows  

Snag_31b4f5d.thumb.png.971900f08bd0f1e0146f9232e52022af.png

Oh, and weather wise, lovely evening and still 16C outside.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Don't tell @Hawesy as he might get jealous.

Very jealous - that's no mere dusting! 

A bit more cloud about today but still very pleasant at 19c.

• Like 1

Posted

Thought it was meant to be cloudier and cooler but bright blue skies, gorgeous sunshine and 23c ...really warm out of the wind .. 

garden lawn is properly brown now too ...

• Like 1

Posted

Summer is over, we only got to 21C today 

Much cloudier today compared to the last week and quite a fresh Northerly wind.

In the sunnier periods temp up to 21C but generally hovering "only" around 17C when cloudy.

Pollen beetles are swarming everywhere just now, real pain when you want to cut and take in some Sweet Pea flowers for the house.

• Like 3

Posted

Fresher today but getting warm in the sun and out of the wind.Currently 18c

Rosebay Willow Herb flowering here too a month earlier than usual. Badgers still digging up garden looking for food. With ground so dry there are no worms slugs or snails near the surface now. Very low humidity here as well at 20% RH There must be a  bit of a positive feedback going on here with such dry ground with little evaporation  into the air above.

The headlines are begining to appear about the damage the dry weather is doing to crop growing with one interesting story that soft fruits are ripening faster than they can be picked. This story can only get worse the longer this dry  very sunny spell goes on.

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Summer is over, we only got to 21C today 

Much cloudier today compared to the last week and quite a fresh Northerly wind.

In the sunnier periods temp up to 21C but generally hovering "only" around 17C when cloudy.

Pollen beetles are swarming everywhere just now, real pain when you want to cut and take in some Sweet Pea flowers for the house.

Sweet Pea is the wife's favourite, but nowhere selling any local to here.

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Fresher today but getting warm in the sun and out of the wind.Currently 18c

Rosebay Willow Herb flowering here too a month earlier than usual. Badgers still digging up garden looking for food. With ground so dry there are no worms slugs or snails near the surface now. Very low humidity here as well at 20% RH There must be a  bit of a positive feedback going on here with such dry ground with little evaporation  into the air above.

The headlines are begining to appear about the damage the dry weather is doing to crop growing with one interesting story that soft fruits are ripening faster than they can be picked. This story can only get worse the longer this dry  very sunny spell goes on.

The wild rasps here are non-existent this year as the "berries" have completely desiccated.

• Like 3

Posted

and this was supposed to be our "Cloudy Day" Was briefly cloudy but didn't last too long ;) Yesterday was cloudier. Much cooler today though so for once the sun actually bareable but pretty much as you we're ;)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
15 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Am secretly quite pleased that Ochtertyre keeps its June record for a wee bit longer. 

In other news, scorchio and wall to wall sunshine here again today. We're matching Strathallan for days above 20C per the above table. 

It's now day 15 of the current dry spell, too. Grass brown, plants starting to look gubbed. Ditto some of the trees.

If this keeps up into August, we will be talking about it in the same breath as 1976. Some very plausible teleconnection reasons for it doing so have been referred to in the TOORPing threat. Extraordinary summer so far. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, ciel said:

The wild rasps here are non-existent this year as the "berries" have completely desiccated.

I suspect it'll be the same here as I was looking at some yesterday and what looks like may form are certainly looking pretty pathetic. 

Not too bad à day here, certainly not as warm as its been, which was welcome as I was driving in fence posts this afternoon. Dry though, sunny spells and comfortable enough to be t-shirt weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Not surprised, it was hot yes but that did seem a couple of degrees higher than every other temp in the area so it possibly was inaccurate.

Posted
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I think it sounds dodgy that they are blaming a running vehicle for the "abnormal" reading. Sounds like a good way of blaming something else for an equipment failure or other issue?

I think it’s strange that a vehicle could get close enough to affect the temperature reading. I would have thought Met Office ‘official’ sites would be chosen because they meet certain criteria that prevent things like that happening?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I think it’s strange that a vehicle could get close enough to affect the temperature reading. I would have thought Met Office ‘official’ sites would be chosen because they meet certain criteria that prevent things like that happening?

Wait until London Heathrow records the UK's highest temp so far - all sorts of conspiracy nonsense will ensue: it was contrails and/or chemtrails what done it, the reading coincided with a sudden burst of Airbus exhaust fumes, there was a sudden burst of back-radiation from passengers' baggage left heaped-up too close to the weather station...?️

Why should Scotland get away without a raft of idiotic excuses/hypotheses?:good:

Posted

YET ANOTHER crackerjack of a day (sounding like a broken record) a few clouds bubbled up but more or less as was forecast and a comfortable warmth again

• Like 3

Posted

One of the warmest days of the year for the Dundee/NE Fife area. Temps up to 24c this afternoon as we lost the onshore breeze! 24.6c the figure to beat at Leuchars!

• Like 2

Posted

Today has been a cooler and breezier day than of late, here. Temp during the day around 19C.

Just caught the mackerel sky tonight

2015402706_mack2.thumb.jpg.042b11be1405f7b676060be810ac87e5.jpg.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
5 hours ago, Hawesy said:

One of the warmest days of the year for the Dundee/NE Fife area. Temps up to 24c this afternoon as we lost the onshore breeze! 24.6c the figure to beat at Leuchars!

The Hutton Institute at Invergowrie just West of Dundee, an official reporting station has 26.7C as its highest so far this year. I am just a mile or two so away but in the Dundee boundary and have recorded over 26C so just a tad warmer than Leuchars.

Today here on hols in the Algarve it felt too hot in the direct sun with a max of just over 30C. Had to go into the bar with a few cold beers and watch the football to look after my health.

• Like 2